Tryst by Elswyth Thane

Tryst (1939)

by Elswyth Thane

I absolutely loved this book. I can think of only one other book that made me cry. As soon as I finished my library copy, I ordered my own copy because I just HAD to own it.. I'm not sure why this one struck me as strongly as it did, but I suspect that at least part of it is its "fateful love even after death" theme. ( )
  afinch11 | Aug 9, 2013 |
This is not a book that one can just run out to the local bookstore and grab off the shelf. It was last printed in wide release in the 70's, and is now available mainly used or through reprint services, so it requires a little tracking down. Nevertheless, I would argue that it will be worth the effort for most readers. The story starts out just after World War I and follows 17 year-old Sabrina as her father and aunt move her from their London flat to a leased house in the country. Sabrina immediately becomes fascinated by the locked room on the top floor and picks the lock, only to discover a room filled with books and mementos that looks as if the owner stepped out only recently. The room belongs to the owner's younger brother, who we discover is on a covert operation in India. Without giving too much away, I can tell you that the room's owner ends up returning to his room (under some unusual circumstances) and finds a kindred spirit in Sabrina. There are some aspects to this story that some people might criticize. It's sentimental, some of the characters are two-dimensional, and the social relationships reflect the book's 1939 publication date. To these people I would argue that "you're thinking too much!" This is a book to read on a lazy afternoon, or to stay up too late just so you can finish it, not a book for close reading and intense discussion. I will be keeping this book close. I'm certain that it will be one of those books that I read again and again: the written equivalent of comfort food. ( )
2 vote librarymeg | Oct 29, 2008 |
I read "Tryst" many years ago. It is a beautiful book in many ways. . . . well-written, and persuasive (unless you refuse to believe in ghosts). It is also powerfully sad. I wept when I read it the first time, and now, many years later, I still tear up. ~~~~To those who have not read it I say find it in library and spend a few hours engrossed in a gentle love story: I think you will be rewarded. ( )
  Esta1923 | Mar 13, 2008 |
Sabrina had never picked a lock in her life, but it was done every day in books.

A beautiful ghost story. (I have cried each time I've read it!)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,132,245 books! | Top bar: Always visible