Word of Honor by Nelson DeMille

Word of Honor (original 1985; edition 1985)

by Nelson DeMille

Member:Snowstorm14
Title:Word of Honor
Authors:Nelson DeMille
Info:Grand Central Publishing (1985), Edition: 1St Edition, Hardcover, 526 pages
Tags:thriller

Word of Honor by Nelson DeMille (1985)

The plot itself was incredibly interesting with the Vietnam war backdrop against a modern family in Long Island. In addition, a military courtroom drama is an uncommon trait in modern fiction. Vietnam has been cathartic for many Americans. Unlike World War II, where good and evil seem clear. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Good story, good reading, but overall a bit boring. No action at all except for the flashback recoutns of the events. Very "A Few Good Men" in that aspect. ( )
  kristina_brooke | Apr 15, 2016 |
I was in high school as the world judged the actions of Lt. Wm. Calley at the My Lai Massacre in Vietnam. This novel is a portrayal of a different incident - a fictional incident - but is no less provocative & riveting. Why do civilians, politicians, & news media pretend they know what it’s like in war? Only a soldier* knows. We ask them to defend, to protect and to serve. They answer with their life & some give their last breath in service. This book deserves our attention and each reader's soul-searching before supposition of a soldier's experience in service, in war, or on return home. Regardless of your view or opinion of the Vietnam War, regardless of your politics, regardless of your thoughts about the news media, this book is an important read. I hope it stays in print for years to come.

*I use the word "soldier" in this review regardless of what branch of the military first comes to mind when one thinks of U.S. Military Service and regardless of gender, etc. ( )
  Corduroy7 | Nov 18, 2014 |

Corduroy7 | Nov 18, 2014 |
I just loved this book and found it very difficult to put down. I hadn't read a page turner like this for quite some time.

In Word of Honor Demille tells the story of Ben Tyson, a Vietnam vet with a secret. Upon the publication of a book which names him as the officer responsible for a horrific war crime, Ben's world is turned upside down. He is forced to leave his corporate executive position, his Garden City home to return to the army while they investigate the allegations. ( )
  AstridG | Jun 30, 2014 |
It is easier to find false witnesses against the civilian than anyone willing to speak the truth against the interest and honor of the solider
~Juvenal
He who does not prevent a crime when he can, encourages it.
~Seneca: Troades
To Ginny
with love
Ben Tyson folded his Mi

He is a good man, a brilliant corporate executive, an honest, handsome family man admired by men and desired by women.But a lifetime ago Ben Tyson was a lieutenant in Vietnam.There the men under his command committed a murderous atrocity -- and together swore never to tell the world what they had done. Now the press, army justice, and the events he tried to forget have caught up with Ben Tyson. His family, his career, and his personal sense of honor hang in the balance. And only one woman can reveal the truth of his past -- and set him free.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:50 -0400)

The publication of a book--claiming to document the facts about a massacre of civilians that occurred in a French hospital outside Hue in 1968 under the command of American Lieutenant Ben Tyson--upends Tyson's suburban life and rocky marriage.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,218,350 books! | Top bar: Always visible