Jam Today by Oriel Malet

Jam Today (1957)

by Oriel Malet

Wonderful little feel-good book in which the author recalls a six-month sojourn in Paris with her friend, Flavia in the 1950s. Unencumbered by such things as work or study, our bachelor girls devote themselves to soaking up the ambience and having lots of unexpected adventures.
Meeting Ivan, a moody would-be poet and artist at a life drawing class...befriending a honeymooning American couple when our ladies' dog eats their lottery ticket...an invitation to tea with singer Yvonne Printemps...
And throughout it all beautiful descriptions of the city that just make you feel you're there:
'All the evenings were alike that summer, coming slowly down across the river with the deepening blue sky, the stars suddenly piercing the dark branches of the trees, nailing them down, each leaf black and clear against the fading light. Suddenly the cathedral sprang out of the dusk, like a fantastic golden ship ploughing its way through a wash of green trees.'
The author concludes that their time in Paris 'had been a blissful interlude which it would be ungrateful to expect life to repeat...pure jam today' ( )
1 vote starbox | Sep 17, 2012 |
The rule is: Jam yesterday and Jam tomorrow but never Jam today LEWIS CARROLL

Paris, c'est la confiture sur le pain sec de la vie. IVAN
this book belongs to FLAVIA
Looking back, I can see now that we were curiously passive about the whole affair; Flavia because she had never been abroad before, and therefore saw Paris as a tower made from Meccano, rising out of chestnut trees, and I because I had just emerged from a boring illness, and did not much care where I went.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,117,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible