The Ant King: and Other Stories by Benjamin…

The Ant King: and Other Stories

by Benjamin Rosenbaum

Check out a free preview of a story from The Ant King in our Bookslinger app!
  ConsortiumLibrary | Feb 20, 2017 |
Call it 4.5 stars. This story collection contains a lot of fun, a few duds, and one magnificent bastard of a yarn "A Siege of Cranes" that is itself worth the modest purchase price. ( )
  KateSherrod | Aug 1, 2016 |
I took this book out of the library when it came out - a few months ago. Since it was new, I only had a week or two to get to it and I didn't get through other books fast enough to do so- I only got through the first story (The Ant King) before I had to return it. I enjoyed the story and definitely planned to get the book back out. I was looking forward to reading the other stories.

Well, the stories were a mix - some good, some I felt were really boring. The thing is, there are some writers where you're reading about some things that make you question the writer's sanity (I'd say Burroughs and the Good Doctor would be reasonable examples) and then there are some writers who (to me) try too hard to seem crazy - and Rosenbaum fits into that category. Not to say that crazy is a good thing, but when you're trying to interact as writer to audience as much as Rosenbaum does and you're writing about topics of questionable sanity...I feel like it needs to be more believable that your sanity is questionable. I want to feel a little uncomfortable as I'm reading that type of story rather than feeling like I'm sitting in a smoky college dorm room discussing the meaning of everything, with everyone involved believing they've said something deeply profound. ( )
  Sean191 | Mar 8, 2010 |
A collection of short stories, some of which sit firmly in the realm of science fiction or fantasy, and some of which are simply uncategorizably strange. Rosenbaum reminds me of Italo Calvino in many respects: the use of dreamlike or fairy-tale logic, the playfulness, the fascination with meta-narratives. One of the pieces in this collection even seems to be a deliberate homage to Calvino's Invisible Cities. But Rosenbaum isn't just some sort of Calvino imitator; he also shares Calvino's inventiveness. There's an incredible feeling of originality about these stories. Even when Rosenbaum is using familiar SF elements or riffing off of well-known works of fiction, he gives the sense of looking at whatever it is through absolutely fresh eyes and inviting the reader to do the same. Some of these stories did more for me than others, but I came away from the book with the overall impression of having just experienced something marvelous, in every sense of the word. ( )
  bragan | Jul 6, 2009 |
As if we needed one more reason to think the folks at Small Beer Press were fantastic, this book’s categorization is “short stories/plausible fabulism”.
http://12frogs.com/reading/reviews/2009/05/the-ant-king-and-other-stories/ ( )
  jlspad | Jun 21, 2009 |

A dazzling, postmodern debut collection of pulp and surreal fictions: a writer of alternate histories defends his patron's zeppelin against assassins and pirates; a woman transforms into hundreds of gumballs; an emancipated children's collective goes house hunting.

9 wanted1 free

Small Beer Press

2 editions of this book were published by Small Beer Press.

Editions: 1931520534, 1931520526

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,552,961 books! | Top bar: Always visible