Under the Snow by Kerstin Ekman

Under the Snow (1961)

by Kerstin Ekman

It is a short book and it took me a long time to get into it. I found it so unengaging I was reading only a few pages before I fell asleep. the initial part o the plot is peculiarly like the Year of the Hare, except that tis takes off into some male bonding fantasy instead of the animalisation of the man. the plot then becomes simply implausible (artist pal of dead artist enlisted informally to help 'tec solve cold case in remote Sami community). I didn't become interested again for about 100 pages, by which time it's all over. But in the end I just thought all those involved were idiots, including the two (it turns out) 'tragic' suicides. Agatha Christie could probably have dunitbetter, it's at that level. I was taken in by the blurb and the cover pic, but don't look to Ekman for profound Nordic Wisdom (actually, Norman would really have livened this up!) ( )
  Mijk | Jun 12, 2012 |
I did not enjoy this book though I am a big fan of Scandinavian thrillers. ( )
  bhowell | May 1, 2011 |
A murder story set in a small town in the Swedish Lapland. Ekman's thrillers evoke the harsh landscape of the far north extremely well. ( )
  isabelx | Mar 9, 2011 |
This book felt more like a long short story than a novel and probably because of that I enjoyed it more than I did Blackwater. Small town Sweden and some excellent writing/translation.
  nocto | Dec 15, 2010 |
Not bad. Ekman is more in control of her materials than, say, Stieg Larsson was, but she's not quite where she would be with Blackwater, which so well balances a large number of plot elements to create a sense of northern Scandinavia as a world unto itself, but also make it significant to readers who know little of that world. ( )
  ehines | Aug 9, 2010 |

Kerstin Ekmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Schütz, AdolfÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Senders, MariyetTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312200382, Paperback)

From the author of Blackwater comes this atmospheric and chilling tale of small-town secrets and jealousy set in the icy northern landscape of Lapland. When an artist named Matti is killed at a mah jongg party, Police Constable Torsson skis to the remote village of Rakisjok to investigate. Once there, witnesses evade the constable's questions and insist that Matti walked off into the wilderness and froze to death. With no clues to go on, Torsson closes his case. Then David, an old friend of Matti's, arrives in town and together with Torsson, he sets out to get at the truth about Matti's death.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:08 -0400)

A murder mystery above the Arctic Circle in which a young artist steps into the night after an argument and freezes to death. At least, that is what the villagers tell Constable Torsson, until a blood-stained noose is found the following summer, when it becomes clear the village is protecting a secret. By a Swedish writer, author of Blackwater.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,986,535 books! | Top bar: Always visible