The Berenstain Bears Don't Pollute (Anymore)…

This is a fiction book about the bear cubs of Bear Country trying to alert their community about the trouble their environment is in. The book contains not only very factual information, but also solutions to our environmental problems. I rate this book a 5 out of 5 because I feel that students can read this book and get excited by learning how they can help out the environment even at such a young age. ( )
  aleciagilbert | Oct 15, 2010 |
I saw this book at our library. It came in along with many other Berenstain Bear books, all dolled up in new covers and I thought: `Yes! I bet my kids will love these.'

Boy, I was wrong. First, the text is exceedingly wordy. Second, the word choice is awkward so that this book not a good read-aloud. And third, the wordiness and awkwardness combined mean that the book is not one that is easy for younger children to enjoy.

In this regard, I don't know what 'First Time Books' is supposed to refer to, but it certainly isn't a reference to being a primer of any sort. Nearly half of some of the pages are words. Some of these words include: wanna, professor, cooperate, earthsavers. So you can see that the book is not for beginning readers.

As for the plot, it was well developed at first; but then it fails to deliver at the end. I mean, I applaud their bringing up the topic of pollution. But please, how positively medieval can you get to have Father Bear changing his mind about protecting the environment, not because of the destruction of the earth's beauty, or because the destruction will eliminate resources and species, or even because it might drive up the cost of goods at the store... BUT because he has a nightmare where angry trees chase him around. I think I'd rather have had Papa Bear stand up for what he believes, than to have him cower to dreams.

Our take: Too wordy. My two children who laugh readily didn't think it was funny, and I found it an awkward read-aloud. This won't be one I read to the kids at school.

Pam T~
"Good Books for Kids" ( )
  PamFamilyLibrary | Jul 19, 2010 |
This book is good because it teaches children not to pollute. This is a book for younger children. The family works together to help save the earth and keep it clean. They pick up trash and make sure to recycle.
  baphilipson | Nov 16, 2008 |
The Bear cubs learn about the damage that pollution is doing to the environment, but Papa Bear isn’t convinced until he has a dream that the trees are after him. Then he joins them in standing up for the earth with a parade. ( )
  t1bclasslibrary | Nov 3, 2006 |

Stan Berenstainprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berenstain, Janmain authorall editionsconfirmed

When careless citizens pose a threat to Bear Country's environment, Brother and Sister Bear form the Earthsavers Club. Their spirited ecological efforts deliver a timely message about the urgent need to mend our polluting and wasteful ways.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:58 -0400)

The bears in Bear Country grow concerned about how pollution and waste of natural resources are damaging the world around them, so they form The Earthsavers Club.

42 avail.1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,636,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible