The Journal of Augustus Pelletier: The Lewis…

The Journal of Augustus Pelletier: The Lewis and Clark Expedition, 1804… (edition 2000)

by Kathryn Lasky (Author)

Series: My Name is America (Westward Expansion: The Lewis and Clark Expedition, 1804), My Story, Dear America Collections (My Name Is America: Westward Expansion, 1804)

A fictional journal kept by twelve-year-old Augustus Pelletier, the youngest member of Lewis and Clark's Corps of Discovery.
Member:kilaschoolmt
Title:The Journal of Augustus Pelletier: The Lewis and Clark Expedition, 1804 (My Name is America)
Authors:Kathryn Lasky (Author)
Info:Scholastic Inc. (2000), Edition: 1st, 171 pages

The Journal of Augustus Pelletier, the Lewis and Clark Expedition by Kathryn Lasky

This entire series is a wonderful way to learn history or teach it to adolescents. I find today's generations seem to recall more when they learn through other people (pop songs, celebrity gossip, etc.), so what better way to teach history than through someone else's perspective? Yes, "authentic" diaries would be "better", but would the language really hold the modern student's attention? Did the diary writer know what WOULD be important in the context of history? Probably not. ( )
  benuathanasia | Sep 5, 2012 |
I was slightly disturbed by the fact that a fictional character is turned into a key character on the expedition, but I enjoyed this book nonetheless. We get an idea of what sorts of things Lewis and Clark faced on the trail, and a glimpse of Sacajawea. Our view of her shows a very personal kind of look, which, though conjecture, is endearing. ( )
  t1bclasslibrary | Jun 14, 2007 |

Belongs to Series

Dear America Collections (My Name Is America: Westward Expansion, 1804)
My Name is America (Westward Expansion: The Lewis and Clark Expedition, 1804)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,649,876 books! | Top bar: Always visible