The Hugo Winners: Volumes I & II by Isaac…

The Hugo Winners: Volumes I & II (original 1972; edition 1962)

by Isaac Asimov

Member:brightcopy
Title:The Hugo Winners: Volumes I & II
Authors:Isaac Asimov
Info:
Collections:Your library, Read
Tags:book club edition, collection, anthology, science fiction

The Hugo Winners: Volumes One and Two (1955-1970) by Isaac Asimov (Editor) (1972)

Fourteen of the Hugo Short Story winners are found in Volume two:
1963: The Dragon Masters, by Jack Vance (short story)
1964: No Truce With Kings, by Poul Anderson (short story)
1965: Soldier, Ask Not, by Gordon R. Dickson (short story)
1966:"Repent, Harlequin!" Said the Ticktockman, by Harlan Ellison (short story)
1967:The Last Castle, by Jack Vance (novelette)
Neutron Star, by Larry Niven (short story)
1968: –Weyr Search by Anne McCaffrey (novella)
Riders of the Purple Wage by Philip José Farmer (novella)
Gonna Roll the Bones by Fritz Leiber (novelette)
I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream by Harlan Ellison (short story)
1969:Nightwings by Robert Silverberg (novella)
12–The Sharing of Flesh by Poul Anderson (novelette)
13–The Beast that Shouted Love at the Heart of the World by Harlan Ellison (short story)
1970: Time Considered as a Helix of Semi-Precious Stones by Samuel R. Delany (short story)
And that's what you get! ( )
  DinadansFriend | May 11, 2014 |
This is a must-own collection, with many classic stories. To mention just a couple, there is Eric Frank Russel's "Allamagoosa", one of the funniest things I have ever read. The book also includes Daniel Keyes original (before he expanded it into a novel) version of "Flowers for Algernon", which is simply one of the best things anyone has written, period. ( )
  datrappert | Nov 15, 2013 |
I'm enjoyed the hell out of this book, and I'm not a sci-fi reader. Believe it or not, I took it from a colleague who was using it to prop up and display some specimens and instruments when teaching his lab class. The stories are intriguing, the characters eccentric, and the settings and plots out of another world; more importantly, the prose and wording doesn't saturate you with pseudo-scientific jargon. A real gem. ( )
  HankIII | Jul 26, 2010 |
Reviewed Nov. 2004

Asimov's usual arrogant style of writing about himself is never more apparent than when he sets up the Hugo Award winner stories. I was very disappointed with the first few stories, "The Darfsletter" and overlong story about a dejected actor who tries to sabotages the robot plays that have replaced human actors. The next "Allamagoosa" was a red-tape paper pusher story about men who are bureaucrats, the whole story is about a miss-spelling. "Exploration Time" another overly long story of a man and his bears that try to colonize an unfriendly world. Finally Clarke's "The Star" shows me that these Hugo winners can indeed be excellent stories. Next "Or all the Seas with Oysters" could have happened at any modern year -a bicycle shop- safety pins and clothes hangers never think of them the same way. "The Big Front Yard" another wonderful suspense novelette makes you think about the common man - and talents we all have making us unique. "The Hell-Bound Train" was okay - more like something from a Twilight Zone episode. "Flowers for Algernon" was a tear jerker, I think I've heard of this story and wish I had read this while at CSUMB. Lots of labs, testing and fooling the humans. The last story, "The Longest Voyage" talks about the common Sci Fi theme of advanced societies giving their knowledge to "primitive" peoples. The need to continuing to discover for ourselves the unknown outweighs this knowledge handed to us. All the stories have a common theme - no female lead characters guess Sci Fi writers are a bunch of male losers!

17-2004 ( )
  sgerbic | May 7, 2008 |
A sterling collection of the Hugo Award winners in the novelette and short story categories at the World Science Fiction Conventions from 1955 to 1970. With Isaac Asimov's inimitable commentary, this collection includes one of my very favorite stories, Arthur C. Clarke's "The Star". Also prized by yours truly are Daniel Keyes' "Flowers For Algernon" and Harlan Ellison's "I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream". ( )
  burnit99 | Dec 26, 2006 |

Simak, Clifford D.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vance, JackContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Contains

The Hugo Winners: Volume One (1955-1961) by Isaac Asimov

The Darfsteller by Walter M. Miller (indirect)

Allamagoosa [short story] by Eric Frank Russell (indirect)

Exploration Team by Murray Leinster (indirect)

The Star by Arthur C. Clarke (indirect)

Or All The Seas With Oysters [short story] by Avram Davidson (indirect)

There are several books named "The Hugo Winners". This work is for the omnibus work encompassing the years from 1955 to 1970; it was previously published as two volumes (and the second volume was in both one- and two-book format).

Volume 1 (9 Stories): The Darfsteller (Miller); Allamagoosa (Russell); Exploration Team (Leinster); The Star (Clarke); Or All the Seas with Oysters (Davidson); The Big Frony Yard (Simak); The Hell-Bound Train (Bloch); Flowers for Algernon (Keyes); The Longest Voyage (Anderson). Volume 2 (14 Stories): The Dragon Masters (Vance); No Truce With Kings (Anderson); Soldier Ask Not (Dickson); "Repent Harlequin!" Said the Ticktockman (Ellison); The Last Castle (Vance); Neutron Star (Niven); Weyr Search (McCaffrey); Riders of the Purple Wage (Farmer); Gonna Roll the Bones (Leiber); I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream (Ellison); Nightwings (Silverberg); The Sharing of the Flesh (Anderson); The Beast that Shouted Love at the Heart of the World (Ellison); Time Considered as aHelix of SemiPrecious Stones.

At end of title on cover: 1976-1979. Contains 13 stories.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,387,198 books! | Top bar: Always visible