The Time Paradox: The New Psychology of Time…

The Time Paradox: The New Psychology of Time That Will Change Your Life

by Philip Zimbardo, John Boyd

Recently added byClamaire, private library, agering, iwpoe, barefootwriter, battaglia, dragontig, Bookish59, albanyhill

English (7)  Dutch (1)  All languages (8)
questo libro mi ha dato spunti di riflessioni interessanti....a volte prende la piega di self help, ma è stata una lettura in generale interessante ( )
  Alberto_Martinez | Sep 11, 2013 |
Each one of us has a different relationship to the present, past and future. We may be classified as predominantly: present, past or future oriented. Then this orientation may be fatalistic or positive. Most of us are mixtures of the above, but we all seem to have a dominant tendency. For the record, futures are the healthiest, presents most inclined to be late or to take drugs, and pasts (fatalistic) to be stuck in life and depressed.

The new Zimbardo-Boyd book is a crossover of a popular science book and a self help manual. It discusses what a healthy balance is, offers inventories to check what orientation the reader predominantly has and then strategies to change unhealthy tendencies.

Even though this book was far from the promise of changing my life, there were some things that I enjoyed there: Time inventories were fun. False memories were revisited- there is a lot of research pointing to the fact that memories can be both implanted (with apparently little effort) and recovered. The caveat with those is that both true and false memories can be recovered. An analysis of a suicide bomber was quite interesting as well, even though it was obvious enough, just clad in a different lingo. ( )
  Niecierpek | Oct 24, 2012 |
The authors show how the mental representation of time can have a large impact on individual behaviour and well-being.

I think they focus a little bit too hard, though, when they attribute problems as disparate as the third world poverty, intramarital sex problems, and suicide bombings to the mental representation of time for the actors involved. ( )
  Popup-ch | May 16, 2011 |
After thinking for some time that personal perspectives on time are one of the most overlooked aspects of the social animal it was refreshing to read Zimbardos book. A recommended reading (also recommend watching his presentation on Ted.com). ( )
  iamanerd | Jan 10, 2011 |
Do not be misled by the marketing title of this work. The book is not about a paradox or about our direct perception of time. Rather it is about a way of discussing different mental viewpoints. The authors apply temporal labels to this characterization. For instance, at any time we might prize more strongly future-goals, immediate pleasures or the stability of past arrangements. These attitudes reflect how we reconstruct memories of the past, interpret the present, and imagine the future. Hence the authors talk about six mindsets based upon positive and negative attitudes towards the past, present and future. Apparently we are born with a 'present' outlook, and only later develop other attitudes. Naturally each time perspective has its strengths and weakness. It should come as no surprise that a good balance of the positives is the ideal.

Hence a high 'past-positive' will boost your happiness, a high 'present-hedonism' will boost your vitality, and a high 'future' will boost your accomplishments. Now, the book lets you calculate your perspectives' strengths and weaknesses. If you are not happy with your mix, the book shows you how (using visualization and affirmation) you can change yourself.

This book presents as a very gentle read of a sketchy topic. It will take a future-focussed reader on a psychological meander touching on financial management, sociology, education reform, and political distortions and indiscretions. Subsequently next time you hear a TV lawyer asking a leading question; you will realize that the lawyer is not trying to trick the witness but actually to alter the witness' memory. Further, you will discover which politicians are more likely to have extramarital affairs, what to do in retirement, and just how much salary an extra IQ point is worth.

Ultimately the book leaves a reader with an alternative language for self-appreciation of one's actions and for describing others. It cannot be the full story but it is a considered outlook on the way we manage our priorities. The biggest shortcoming with these ideas is the lack of a coherent tie up with the established psychological work on personality traits. ( )
  Jewsbury | May 20, 2010 |

Philip Zimbardoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Boyd, Johnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
To my son Adam and my brother, Don, who have taught me much about how and why time used wisely and well really matters and enhances the quality of our lives - Phil Zimbardo.

To my parents: all that I am and ever hope to be, I owe to you. To Nancy: You fill my present with love and my future with purpose - John Boyd
In the eighteenth century, a secretive sect of men created a grusome memorial to the importance of time in the dim, dusty basement of Santa Maria dellaConcezione, a nondescript church at the top of the Spanish steps in Rome.

Time is our most valuable possession: we are obsessed with schedules and multitasking to save time, say the authors of this insightful study of the importance of time in our lives. Yet people spend time less wisely than money. Zimbardo (The Lucifer Effect), professor emeritus of psychology at Stanford, and Boyd, research director for Yahoo!, draw on their two decades of research to explain why people devalue time. They blend scientific results into a straightforward narrative exploring various past-, present- and future-oriented ways of perceiving time and argue against becoming imprisoned or obsessed by any one of these. Zimbardo and Boyd have cogent insight into all of time's elements and show how they can be used for success, better health and greater fulfillment. For instance, understanding the role of time in investment can lead to wiser financial decisions, and a relationship will not work if one partner is focused on today's pleasure while the other wants to plan for the future. This is a compelling and practical primer (filled with quizzes and tests) on making every moment count.

Reveals how your individual time perspective shapes your life and is shaped by the world around you, interacting to create national cultures, economics, and personal destinies.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,963,757 books! | Top bar: Always visible