Rites of Love (The Ringing Cedars, Book 8,…

Rites of Love (The Ringing Cedars, Book 8, Part 2)

by Vladimir Megre

221476,730 (4)None

This is the final book in the Ringing Cedars series. Unfortunately, the library couldn't obtain the first book, "Anastasia", for me, or any of the others, so far, except this one, so I felt I had been plunged into Megré's somewhat otherwise world at the deep end. It was somewhat disorientating.

It's a very "Russian" book, understandably, since the author is Russian. I don't know what I mean by that adjective in the present context, except that the author's values and interests seem to differ considerably from the usual European values. There is a deep focus on traditional, cultural values going back thousands of years. The main themes seem to be "Go back to the land or country life, get some grounding and prioritize family life and Love, with a capital "L".

I nearly gave up on the book quite early on because it seemed mostly to treat of ancient Russian history.

This is an extremely "romantic" book extolling the virtues and indeed necessiry of our finding our true soul mate, conceiving our babies in the perfect way and ensuring that the unborn baby is provided with optimal conditions. A very special and unusual wedding rite should be performed, indeed both parties, the man and the woman, need not actually be present. (I think actually this was because the main personage, Anastasis, who does not directly appear in this book, changed the original rules to suit her own purposes.) The baby should be delivered by the father alone, no others being allowed to be present at the birth.

We are introduced to the quaint theory of telegony, the concept that if a woman has had a prior relationship, then the first man will exert an influenc on the "appearance and character of a child fathered by another man". Howwever there is a chapter showing how this phenomenon can be overcome.

All the information given apparently stems from this mystical woman, Anastasia, whom I know practically nothing about, not having read any of the previous books. I reckon that this lady is a mythical figure invented by the author to be used as a tool by which to present his idealistic, visionary view of the world.

This book perhaps struck a chord in me, but all the same I don't feel I absolutely have to get hold of the preceding books in the series. But I understand that many absolutely love and are obsessed/fascinated with the series, its author and "Anastasia".

At any rate I think I can definitely advise any potential reader not to begin with this book. (I'm probably the only one who has.) ( )
  IonaS | Sep 23, 2010 |

Part 2 of Book 8 of the Ringing Cedars series contrasts today's mainstream attitudes with our forebears' deep spiritual understanding of conception, pregnancy, home birth and upbringing of children in an atmosphere of love. In powerful poetic prose, Megre describes their ancient way of life, grounded in love and non-violence, and shows the potential for this same approach to life today. Through one family's story, he portrays the radiant world of the ancient Russian Vedic civilization, the drama of its destruction, and its rebirth in our present time. Now re-issued with new cover art.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:01 -0400)

This book contrasts today's mainstream attitudes to sex, family, childbirth and education with our forebears' lifestyle, which reflected their deep spiritual understanding of the significance of conception, pregnancy, homebirth and upbringing of the young in an atmosphere of love. In powerful poetic prose Megr©? describes their ancient way of life, grounded in love and non-violence, and shows the practicability of this same approach today. Through the life-story of one family, he portrays the radiant world of the ancient Russian Vedic civilisation, the drama of its destruction and its re-birth millennia later - in our present time.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,419,126 books! | Top bar: Always visible