Headhunters by Jo Nesbo

Headhunters (original 2008; edition 2011)

by Jo Nesbo (Author), Don Bartlett (Translator)

866None10,238 (3.45)30
Member:ElizaJane
Title:Headhunters
Authors:Jo Nesbo (Author)
Other authors:Don Bartlett (Translator)
Info:Vintage Canada (2011), Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Review Copies
Tags:arc, randomhouse, crime, thriller, psychological suspense, art theft, read2012

Headhunters by Jo Nesbo (2008)

English (42)  Norwegian (3)  French (2)  German (2)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (2)  Danish (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (56)
I've read 3 of the Harry Hole series and really liked them. This is proof that the guy can really write. ( )
  bwkramer | Nov 19, 2013 |
"I had been thinking of putting a single bullet through your head as a mark of respect for being a prey worthy of a hunter, Roger. But I think I'll go back to the original plan after all. Shooting you in the stomach. Have I told you about the stomach shots? How the bullet bores through your spleen causing gastric acid to leak out and burn its way through the rest of the intestines? Then I have to wait until you beg me to kill you. And you will, Roger."

Fast paced. Couldn't put it down, Can't wait for the movie. Four stars. ( )
  richardcjennings | Nov 11, 2013 |
Nesbo takes a step away from his Harry Hole mysteries and gets into another equally interesting place, complete with his usual damaged characters living difficult lives, being not quite honest with themselves, wrapped up in what they deem to be their success stories, and overplaying their lives.

Headhunters also figure in more than one capacity. There are the egotistical headhunters who interview and recommend top level applicants for top level positions; there is a nod to the headhunters of the tropical rainforests through the auspices of "curacit," a deadly poison that is administered by a sharp prick by a needle embedded in a small curacit-filled grape-sized ball; there are the "great white hunters" of the corporate world who are looking for heads for their walls.

And, not to disappoint, Nesbo still manages to surprise me at the end. That's what I enjoy the most about Nesbo. He can always figure out how to turn the tables in the end and leave me with my jaw dropped, wondering how I missed that twist. ( )
  Hanneri | Oct 14, 2013 |
What was this all about? I am a fan of Nesbø but I found this book very disappointing. THe characters and the plot are completely unbelievable. I know that part of the appeal of the Harry Hole series is the false clues, the red herrings, but the ones in this book are just totally ridiculous. I don't even know why I finished it. I should have left it as soon as the military guy made his appearance and the alpha-male competition started. ( )
  femme_letale | Oct 6, 2013 |
A bit like Girl with a Dragon Tattoo, but not quite as complex or sophisticated. A good quick read. I suspect better read in Norweigan...
  PaulaCheg | Aug 12, 2013 |
If you thought Scandinavian crime fiction couldn’t get better than Steig Larson and Henning Mankell, you’re wrong.. Norway’s Jo Nesbo is better than either and this book is far and away his finest. Already a best-selling film in Europe and just sold for a U.S. version, Headhunters is smart, skillful, perfectly cast and full of twists that will keep you spinning.

Nesbo has given his stalwart Oslo cop Harry Hole a rest. The headhunter is Roger Brown, the most successful in Norway. Everyone vies for his skills and pays plenty. But Roger is living way beyond his considerable means. One problem is his gorgeous and expensive wife, Diana. But not to worry, dear. Roger’s profession takes him into the mansions of the richest and most cultivated, so he has a second income. He’s an accomplished art thief.

Then comes his golden opportunity. He learns of the location of a priceless painting by Rubens, stolen by the Germans, and currently on the wall of one of his clients. But when he arrives to steal the painting, he discovers there’s far more happening with his darling wife than he suspected. When his partner in crime is murdered, Roger knows that he’s in someone’s crosshairs. There’s a hunter on the trail of the headhunter and Roger is going to need all his wit and speed to save his own skin.

Smart dialogue, intricate plotting, brilliantly conceived characters, perfect pacing. This novel should put Nesbo at the top of any reader’s must-have list.
added by VivienneR | editThe Globe and Mail, Canada, Margaret Cannon (Oct 12, 2011)

Jo Nesboprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bartlett, DonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kahden ajoneuvon yhteentörmäyksessä on kyse yksinkertaisesta fysiikasta.
Original title: Hodejegerne.

This is not part of the Harry Hole series.

Roger Brown is a headhunter and art thief living beyond his means and when he meets Clas Greve, a corporate candidate who reveals that he owns a priceless Rubens painting, Roger breaks into his apartment, initiating a series of events which puts Roger's life in danger.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,479,359 books! | Top bar: Always visible