Wonder Bear by Tao Nyeu

Wonder Bear

by Tao Nyeu

I stumbled across this at my local library's book sale and fell instantly in love with its gorgeous whimsy. A stunning debut. ( )
  chronic | Mar 21, 2018 |
I don't get it.  Judging by friends' reviews on GR, they don't love it either.  I did love Squid and Octopus, though. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I was really predisposed to love this book but I didn't. I'll admit though that there's a lot of creativity in both the content and the imagery. I usually like wordless stories but this time I wasn't touched. The illustration style is very bold, and I'm sure many will be drawn to it, but I neither cared for the drawings nor the color palette. It's strange, because individually I fancy the colors used, it just didn't work for me. The story could have had more drama or depth, but it's geared towards really young kids, so we're not the target audience. My five year old was however both amused and delighted, but he won't pick it up again. I could compare the style of this book to some of [a:Kevin Henkes'|193|Kevin Henkes|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1257746190p2/193.jpg] stuff, he sometimes makes these odd choices with colors, such as in [b:My Garden|7149888|My Garden|Kevin Henkes|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1268853281s/7149888.jpg|7415051], [b:A Good Day|317813|A Good Day|Kevin Henkes|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1347261741s/317813.jpg|308607], [b:Old Bear|3429644|Old Bear|Kevin Henkes|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1347664012s/3429644.jpg|3470539], [b:Little White Rabbit|8471012|Little White Rabbit|Kevin Henkes|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1348532050s/8471012.jpg|13335679]. Yet, I tend to think his books are brilliant, whereas in this one I didn't quite understand the choices made. Also, I'm not at all opposed to the pictures being more or less graphic, for instance I'm really fond of [b:Along a Long Road|9642660|Along a Long Road|Frank Viva|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1344270931s/9642660.jpg|14530106] and [b:A Trip to the Bottom of the World with Mouse|13414820|A Trip to the Bottom of the World with Mouse|Frank Viva|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1333581515s/13414820.jpg|18714281]. Anyway, I'm using a lot of words to attempt to describe where this book went wrong with me. Why would I care? Because, I was so longing to like it. This said, I will be glad to read more books by this author to try to change my mind. So, happily moving on to [b:Bunny Days|7386860|Bunny Days|Tao Nyeu|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1356095700s/7386860.jpg|9245957] and [b:Squid and Octopus Friends for Always|13447325|Squid and Octopus Friends for Always|Tao Nyeu|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1335676245s/13447325.jpg|18963846] ... ( )
  Fjola | Apr 23, 2015 |
Lovely, imaginative, surreal wordless picture book. (Daughter adds: very warm-hearted). ( )
  Ella.Kennen | Aug 9, 2013 |
A young boy and girl plant their seeds one day in this gorgeously-illustrated book, and awaken to discover that something magical has occurred! Wonder Bear takes them on a series of fantastic voyages in this wordless picture-book, only to return them safe and sound to their beds.

Tao Nyeu's lovely illustrations, which must carry the entire story, are reminiscent of Wanda Gag's work in style, although they utilize a far more subtle array of colors. I sometimes find wordless picture-books rather off-putting, but the charming visual landscape of Wonder Bear was sufficient to compensate for the lack of text. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jun 20, 2013 |

Two kids plant mysterious seeds (all that?s pictured on the envelope is a blue top hat), and up grows a remarkable flowering vine, out of which emerges an even more remarkable big white bear. On his head is the top hat?a hat that allows him to work all kinds of magic that day. He pulls monkey after monkey from the hat, blows bubbles in amazing shapes, and transforms flowers into spectacular floating sea creatures.

The two kids are wide-eyed with wonder, and you will be too. This is a dazzling debut?a vibrant, welcoming, strikingly original picture book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:37 -0400)

Two kids, a packet of seeds, a night to dream and a bear with magical powers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,535,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible