The Life and Times of Cleopatra by Michelle…

The Life and Times of Cleopatra

by Michelle Medlock Adams

621,268,033NoneNone

Summary:
This about a young pharaoh who took reign in her early teenage years. Cleopatra would do any and everything to keep her political power. She had affairs with Marc Antony and Julius Ceaser. Cleopatra saw herself as divine and was very image-conscious.

Personal Reaction:
I remember a few things about Cleopatra from my childhood . I thought her to be a beautiful pharoah and powerful. When reading I learned a whole lot more about her. She was not the "nice" person we think she is. Good book for history aspect but maybe should not be used for younger children, preferablly high school age.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. As an art lesson, students will research what Cleopatra looks like and then will paint their own version of her.
  MissSuzieQ | Mar 25, 2014 |
This book informs the reader about the female pharaoh, Cleopatra. It takes a look at the beginning of her young reign in her tennage years and shows how she did anything to keep her political power. It offers a glimpse into the rumors and mystery that surrounds us. In essence, she is the ancient Egyptian Marilyn Monroe of her time.

I did not care for the book. It is a book intended for children and it shared information on how Cleopatra was a seductress and used men to get what she wanted. Which I understand that this may be indeed true, I just have a hard time believing that it is a children's book. I know that we cannot shelter children from everything and that in fact Cleoptra did do that..it is just diificult to read this book and believe there is any reason to use it within the classroom.

As stated previously, I had a heard time with using this book within the classroom. So, extending this book's influence would be difficult. I suppose with an older class it would be possible, but they would have to be a mature class. This book would be a good historical read of what not to do in relationships. I suppose it could be used to help students understand Roman history and what went on behind the scenes.
  AnnaMarieOkie | Jun 17, 2008 |

Presents a survey of Cleopatra's life and career based on historical and contemporary sources.

Average: No ratings.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,025,163 books! | Top bar: Always visible