Not Just the Levees Broke: My Story During…

Not Just the Levees Broke: My Story During and After Hurricane Katrina

by Phyllis Montana-Leblanc

I had a difficult time with this book. While I have a great deal of empathy and sympathy for victims of Hurricane Katrina, and while I know beyond a doubt that the local, state, federal government failed miserably, still, I simply cannot relate to the never-ending whining. And, that is what this book felt like to me...whining.

The author was featured in Spike Lee's documentary When the Levees Broke. Her story is told in a down to earth, rugged, raw painful way. I have no doubt that it was incredibly frightening to witness the disaster. Still, I could have done without the use of the "F" word heavily overused in every other page of the book. The valid points were degraded.

I'm sorry she went through what she did. Hurricane Katrina was a terrible, terrible event and those stranded needed, had a right to and should have received help.

She was one of those who could have fled. She and her family had transportation. They chose to stay. That isn't the governments fault. That was her choice.

credit given for what she went through...no stars for the writing, the crude language and the whining.
2 vote Whisper1 | Aug 26, 2009 |

Hurricane Katrina survivor LeBlanc--featured in Spike Lee's acclaimed HBO documentary "When the Levees Broke"--offers an astounding and poignant account of her struggle to survive one of the nation's worst disasters.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,017,768 books! | Top bar: Always visible