March On!: The Day My Brother Martin Changed…

March On!: The Day My Brother Martin Changed The World

by Christine King Farris

2001058,750 (4.19)None

A great book to give information about MLK and have students examine MLK's life.
  ansleyg | Feb 4, 2017 |
Summary: “March On”, Is the biography of Martin Luther King Jr. The book was written by his sister Christine King Farris. The book gives detailed information of the events that took place which lead to the March in Washington. The book talks about Mrs. King growing up hoping that white people would do the right thing and freeing the African American’s from the hatred and violence that they were suffering from. This book discusses Martin Luther King's famous march in 1963 where he delivered "I Have a Dream", speech in Washington.

Personal Reaction: I enjoyed this book; it is very informative for all type of readers. The book can definitely be useful to discussing the Civil Rights movement.

Classroom Extension:
1. The teacher can discuss the Civil Rights movement with the class, talk about the people who were marching and why they were marching.
2. Have students write their own speech of what they would say, and why they chose to say that.
  Santiago_M. | Mar 28, 2015 |
This book is very unique because it is written by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr's sister. Through MLK's sister, we are able to see a whole different side to the famous story of MLK. We are provided with insight into MLK's personal character, and how he prepared to deliver his "I Have a Dream Speech". It is interesting to read about how MLK felt on the day he changed the world. The illustrations paint us a "behind the scenes" picture. ( )
  awoodham93 | Mar 1, 2013 |
This story was told by a very credible source Christine King Farris, the sister of Martin Luther King, Jr. She shared his story from childhood to the March on Washington. She gave insight into his personality that only she or very close members of her family could have. It is a fresh perspective of his story. She includes an Author’s Note which gives more details on the March on Washington. The illustrations were very strong. The illustrator used bold colors and the he did a great job of depicting the struggle on the faces of the characters within the story. Teaching ideas include a social studies 3-5 grade class and a unit on Dr. King or civil rights. ( )
  lalfonso | Jan 19, 2013 |
This informational picture storybook, written by Martin Luther King, Jr.’s sister, tells the story of MLK, Jr., and the March on Washington from his sister’s perspective. The painted pictures are beautiful and assist the story in its purpose: to describe MLK’s organizing, speech writing, and leading the March on Washington. The author went into details about music that was played before the King’s most famous speech. I would recommend this book to other people; I think knowing more about the impact of MLK is important for everyone. ( )
  chelsea6273 | Mar 18, 2012 |

Martin Luther King, Jr.'s, sister remembers the March on Washington.

From Dr. Martin Luther King's sister, the definitive tribute to the man, the march, and the speech that changed a nation.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:21 -0400)

Having led thousands in a march for civil rights to the foot of the Lincoln Memorial on August 28, 1963, Martin Luther King, Jr. made the most of the historical moment by giving a speech that would forever inspire people to continue to fight for change in the years ahead.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,076,045 books! | Top bar: Always visible