Abe's Honest Words : The Life of Abraham…

Abe's Honest Words : The Life of Abraham Lincoln

by Doreen Rappaport, Gary Kelley

Other authors: Kadir Nelson (Illustrator)

3171935,016 (3.92)2

Abe's Honest Words: The Life of Abraham Lincoln

This biography tells of President Lincoln's life as a young boy and continuing on his life as always wanting to learn more and then covers into his Presidency. It shows his struggles of his peers not accepting him and his struggles to end slavery. A very informative book for children to learn of one of our nations greatest President's.

Personal Reaction:
I love to read anything about Abe Lincoln. He has always been an interesting man to me and know that my oldest daughter has found intrest in learning about President's it's very neat to go back and learn again along side her.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1) Have students write out their own timeline of events about President Lincoln that they think are important.
2) Have a literature circle on the his story and have students express what they think younger kids should know about Abe Lincoln and have them write a simpe bio in their own words. ( )
  MollyG77 | Jul 22, 2017 |
I am a little biased, but I love Abraham Lincoln, so this book was an essential for me. It was an empowering story, from both a human rights perspective, and a working class one. I feel that Mr. Lincoln's life is important to share with students. This book has both a timeline of his life and quotes from Abraham Lincoln. The art is fantastic and lively. This would be a great book to share for President's day. It would also be good to help kick start a study on the civil war or even general nonfiction. ( )
  MissCogswell | Dec 5, 2016 |
Summery:

The author Doreen Rappaport was able to bring Abraham Lincoln back to life through her ideas of his life. The book discusses Lincoln's childhood and how he was educated through self-teachings of math, politics, and literature. From a young age he held a strong dislike for slavery and spent his entire political career trying to abolish it. He was known as "Honest Abe" because of his ability to convey truth through respect and kind words.

Personal Reaction:

This book is a great way for young readers to learn about Abraham Lincoln. The illustrations are captivating. The book gives an overview of some of the amazing things Abraham Lincoln was able to accomplish through sel-teachings and conviction.

Classroom Extension:

1.Have students interview another classmate on their life story. The student can then create a biography of the interviewed student and read to the entire class.
2. Discuss the necessary components of a true biography.
3. Have students read a biography over an influential figure throughout history, then create a colorful and informational poster board with the main points of the biography. ( )
  cwarren0123 | Nov 25, 2016 |
Abe's Honest Words is a book that combines biographical information and quotes from Lincoln. The illustrations were beautiful and enhanced the text. Some critics have said that quotes are not cited, but there are selected research sources at the end of the book. This is a good biography for elementary students. It doesn't give a complete picture of Abraham Lincoln, as it is very favorable, with no flaws noted, but it is a good picture of how Lincoln's writings and speeches impacted our nation and helped begin the emancipation of slaves. ( )
  jmillerlits | Jul 20, 2016 |
Abe’s Honest Words: The Life of Abraham Lincoln
“Abe’s Honest Words: The Life of Abraham Lincoln” by Doreen Rappaport is a great informational book for young readers. First, the book begins by giving history of Lincoln. “In the slave state of Kentucky, deep in the wilderness, young Abraham learned to hunt for nuts and currants and fish for trout and bass and tend to soil and seed.” The book continues on a chronological time line of Abraham Lincoln’s life that is easy to follow for readers that goes through to Lincoln’s death. Each page is fully illustrated in beautiful bright colors showing the most important aspect of the text. The text is rich in words, but only fills a small portion of the page. Underneath the text is a quote from Lincoln. After reading the text that Lincoln loved to read the quote says, “The things I want to know are in books; my best friend is the man who’ll git me a book I ain’t read.” These quotes bring Lincoln to live so that readers can relate on a more personal level. At the end of the book there is a time line with important dates. It begins on February 12, 1809 when Lincoln was born. It not only lists all of Lincoln’s major political celebrations, but also includes more personal issues. For example, “April 4, 1853: A fourth son, Thomas, is born”. After the important dates, there are “If you want to learn more about Lincoln, read” and “Web Sites”. This book is a great resource for readers who want to learn more about Abraham Lincoln that hold their attention and isn’t dry or boring like textbook reading. The big idea of this story is to educate about Abraham Lincoln. ( )
  areyno5 | Nov 12, 2014 |

Doreen Rappaportprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kelley, Garymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Nelson, KadirIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

I thoroughly enjoyed the detailed and colorful illustration of this book. It did a fair job of summarizing the main events of Lincoln's life and I feel it would be appropriate to read aloud to a classroom aged audience. I believe this book would prove to be useful supplementary reading when studying subjects such as the civil war or civil rights. I consider the author's success at portraying Honest Abe as a relatable character proved to be a strong significant part of this book

An introduction to the life and career of America's 16th president.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,077,896 books! | Top bar: Always visible