Abe's Honest Words: The Life of Abraham…

Abe's Honest Words: The Life of Abraham Lincoln (edition 2008)

by Doreen Rappaport, Kadir Nelson (Illustrator)

Member:jessicaz89
Title:Abe's Honest Words: The Life of Abraham Lincoln
Authors:Doreen Rappaport
Other authors:Kadir Nelson (Illustrator)
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2008), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 48 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Civil War, authors note, illustrators note, Abe Lincoln, rhyme, President, biography, facts, freedom, slavery, war, nonfiction

Abe's Honest Words : The Life of Abraham Lincoln by Doreen Rappaport

I thoroughly enjoyed the detailed and colorful illustration of this book. It did a fair job of summarizing the main events of Lincoln's life and I feel it would be appropriate to read aloud to a classroom aged audience. I believe this book would prove to be useful supplementary reading when studying subjects such as the civil war or civil rights. I consider the author's success at portraying Honest Abe as a relatable character proved to be a strong significant part of this book. ( )
  SydneyParton | Sep 2, 2013 |
A very simplistic yet informative story of Abraham Lincoln. With quotes from Lincoln's speeches included.
  JudesThree | Apr 20, 2013 |
This is a great book with wonderful illustrations! Abe's Honest Words tells the story of Abraham LIncoln's life while including quotes from Lincoln. The quotes at the bottom of each page really show his character and great things he did during his lifetime. This book would be great for anyone studying presidents, the Civil War, and Abraham Lincoln. I would recommend this book to anyone! I really enjoyed reading it! ( )
  misstribb | Dec 3, 2010 |
Personal Response:
I really admire Abraham Lincoln and so I love reading anything I can find about him. I like the way this book combined actual quotes from some of his speeches.

Curricular Connections:
I would use this for a unit on biographies or for a study on the Civil War. ( )
  mmleynek | Aug 1, 2010 |
3starP. Ages 8 and up. A biography of Abraham Lincoln in verse form.

I don't think it shows characteristics of RC.

p. 10 'He heard lawyers tell how they used words to gain justice for ordinary folks. He heard preachers quote from the Bible: 'A house divided against itself cannot stand.' He stored these different voices in his heart and wove them into his own words.' ( )
  nathaliewargo | May 12, 2010 |

Doreen Rappaportprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kelley, Garymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Nelson, KadirIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

An introduction to the life and career of America's 16th president.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,119,963 books! | Top bar: Always visible