Abe's Honest Words: The Life of Abraham…

Abe's Honest Words: The Life of Abraham Lincoln (edition 2008)

by Doreen Rappaport, Kadir Nelson (Illustrator)

Member:jessicaz89
Title:Abe's Honest Words: The Life of Abraham Lincoln
Authors:Doreen Rappaport
Other authors:Kadir Nelson (Illustrator)
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2008), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 48 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Civil War, authors note, illustrators note, Abe Lincoln, rhyme, President, biography, facts, freedom, slavery, war, nonfiction

Abe's Honest Words : The Life of Abraham Lincoln by Doreen Rappaport

Abe’s Honest Words: The Life of Abraham Lincoln
“Abe’s Honest Words: The Life of Abraham Lincoln” by Doreen Rappaport is a great informational book for young readers. First, the book begins by giving history of Lincoln. “In the slave state of Kentucky, deep in the wilderness, young Abraham learned to hunt for nuts and currants and fish for trout and bass and tend to soil and seed.” The book continues on a chronological time line of Abraham Lincoln’s life that is easy to follow for readers that goes through to Lincoln’s death. Each page is fully illustrated in beautiful bright colors showing the most important aspect of the text. The text is rich in words, but only fills a small portion of the page. Underneath the text is a quote from Lincoln. After reading the text that Lincoln loved to read the quote says, “The things I want to know are in books; my best friend is the man who’ll git me a book I ain’t read.” These quotes bring Lincoln to live so that readers can relate on a more personal level. At the end of the book there is a time line with important dates. It begins on February 12, 1809 when Lincoln was born. It not only lists all of Lincoln’s major political celebrations, but also includes more personal issues. For example, “April 4, 1853: A fourth son, Thomas, is born”. After the important dates, there are “If you want to learn more about Lincoln, read” and “Web Sites”. This book is a great resource for readers who want to learn more about Abraham Lincoln that hold their attention and isn’t dry or boring like textbook reading. The big idea of this story is to educate about Abraham Lincoln. ( )
  areyno5 | Nov 12, 2014 |
I thought this was a good book. The first reason why I liked the book was because the author included Lincoln’s point of view. On many of the pages the author included actual quotes of Lincoln’s words to go along with what was happening in his life or history. For example, wherever, whatever he always had a book in his hand. Then the quote below said, “Upon the subject of education, I view it as the most important subject which we as a people can be engaged in.” I liked how the author included Lincoln’s words because it gave me a perspective on how he felt and his opinions. I felt like the author choosing to include this element in her writing enhanced the story. Through reading Lincoln’s quotes I was able to envision him actually saying his words so many years ago. The second reason why I liked the book was because it made me think about tough issues. For example the book included a lot of information about slavery during Lincoln’s time. For example it stated, “Nearly four million black men, women, and children were enslaved in southern states.” This really made me stop and think, “how awful life must have been for African American?” “What were they feeling during this terrible time?” Through reading this book I was forced to visualize that this type of treatment occurred to African Americans during that time in history. The main message of the book was to remember Lincoln’s life and his words. Also what occurred during his early life before he became president, and what occurred while he was president. ( )
  Germuth | Oct 25, 2014 |
I thoroughly enjoyed the detailed and colorful illustration of this book. It did a fair job of summarizing the main events of Lincoln's life and I feel it would be appropriate to read aloud to a classroom aged audience. I believe this book would prove to be useful supplementary reading when studying subjects such as the civil war or civil rights. I consider the author's success at portraying Honest Abe as a relatable character proved to be a strong significant part of this book. ( )
  SydneyParton | Sep 2, 2013 |
A very simplistic yet informative story of Abraham Lincoln. With quotes from Lincoln's speeches included.
  JudesThree | Apr 20, 2013 |
This is a great book with wonderful illustrations! Abe's Honest Words tells the story of Abraham LIncoln's life while including quotes from Lincoln. The quotes at the bottom of each page really show his character and great things he did during his lifetime. This book would be great for anyone studying presidents, the Civil War, and Abraham Lincoln. I would recommend this book to anyone! I really enjoyed reading it! ( )
  misstribb | Dec 3, 2010 |

Doreen Rappaportprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kelley, Garymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Nelson, KadirIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

An introduction to the life and career of America's 16th president.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,383,384 books! | Top bar: Always visible