The Tiniest Tiger by Joanne McGonagle

The Tiniest Tiger

by Joanne McGonagle

731,138,814 (4.5)None

Reviewed by JodiG. for Kids @ TeensReadToo.com

A small kitten loses her way after chasing a butterfly from the alley she lives in. She finds herself at the zoo in an area labeled "Big Cat Section." The small kitten decides to enter to see if she can find a new home.

In the zoo, the kitten comes across a variety of cats: tigers, jaguars, pumas, and other species of felines. She asks each of the big cats if she can live with them, and each time the cat refers her to another cat who may be able to help her. After every other cat refuses her request, the kitten finds herself back at the tiger, who takes pity and lets her sleep with her.

The next morning, a little girl notices the "tiniest tiger" sleeping in the tiger habitat and wants to take her home.

THE TINIEST TIGER is the work of Joanne L. McGonagle, who is donating a portion of the proceeds from the sale of the book to conservation projects aimed at big cats throughout the world.

Each time the kitten meets a new cat, key information about the cat is nearby on a sign. The information included is about the cat's size, life span, litter size, and their status on the endangered species list.

The author of THE TINIEST TIGER seeks to teach as well as entertain young readers with this fun tale. ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 13, 2009 |
I'm a collector of cat books as well as cat memorabilia of all kinds! So, needless to say, I was pleased to receive my copy of The Tiniest Tiger by Joanne L. McGonagle. I am delighted to add it to my library! This is a children's book; however, I must say it is so much more!

The storyline is sweet and will be a delight to share with young children! I suggest that you read it or help your child read it through the first time. Why? Well, there is a major emphasis on large cats all being endangered. As each new cat is introduced, statistics are provided regarding the normal size and litter and a small map is provide to show where each cat normally lives. This information will be very beneficial in teaching children about animal conservation; however, younger children will need some assistance in understanding the "sign" that appears on specific pages.

The tiniest tiger is a striped shorthair domestic kitten that has been playfully led astray by a butterfly. She thankfully winds up near a zoo and notices that there are large cats there. Surely she can find a place to live with them and so she first finds a tiger and asks if she can live with her.

At this point, I must admit that my personal attention was immediately drawn to the paintings of the cats. In addition to the beautiful cover, there are 15 two-page spreads in this book, 9 of which show wonderful detailed color portraits by Rachel Mahaffey of the 8 endangered cats. I studied the details in each painting, and found them excitingly specific to show the differences between the big cats. I believe your children will find many happy hours going through the pages as the little cat was sent around the zoo, trying to find a home. As I continued the story, I knew that the comparison to each of the cats was instinctual as well as part of the story. My own cats will seek, first, to build friendships with those of the same color and length of hair when they are old enough to be on their own. And then they work to become part of the overall larger group. It will be fun to read along with your child, to study the details of each of the big cats and see how they differ from each other as well as the little kitten.

Yes, of course, the tiniest tiger finds a home right there at the zoo. Which big cat do you think adopted her? You are in for a surprise if you choose the Bobcat!

Please note that a portion of the proceeds from the sale of The Tiniest Tiger will benefit conservation projects for endangered wild cats.

I admit it--I thoroughly enjoyed The Tiniest Tiger! If you are a "cat" person, are concerned about conservation of our wild life, or have a child or grandchild with whom you want to share the joy of reading and learning...then, by all means, this book is for you! Enjoy! ( )
  GABixler | Jul 22, 2008 |
A lovely book that will delight the heart of any child. It tells a delightful tale that reminds me of the tales I listened to as a child. The tale finds a way of telling a story and teaching children about the Cat family as a whole. I loved every page. My one minor(very minor quibble) was that I felt that the drawings weren't as clean and neat as some other children's book that I have seen. But like I said this is a very minor quibble and is very likely that my expectations are based on my being a member of the Walt Disney and CGI generation. But in fact the more I think of it, the rougher nature of the drawings are actually part of its charm. So no complaints. I will happily pass this on to my young cousins who will love reading this nice tale. ( )
  TrishNYC | Jun 18, 2008 |

A kitten looking for a home visits each of the big cats in the zoo to see if she should live with one of them. Includes facts about endangered wild cats.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,167,935 books! | Top bar: Always visible