His Captive Lady by Anne Gracie

His Captive Lady

by Anne Gracie

Loved it and loved the characters. Especially loved the banter between the Devil Riders and Harry and his Aunt. ( )
  EleniK | Dec 25, 2015 |
Harry, upon first meeting Helen feels like he has been run over by a freight train. He is instantly mesmerized by her and can't stop thinking about her. He wonders if their first meeting made a lasting affect on her as she has on him. When he purchases a piece of property that would be perfect for his business pursuits he is shocked to discover her on the property he is about to purchase. Helen, recently has suffered a shock, losing her father and losing everything she has known. When she returns home, she is stunned when she is informed that the home she grew up in and was in her family's possession for generations has now been taken in exchange for her father's gambling debts. When she meets Harry Morant, she instantly feels a spark of attraction, but knows that there is nothing she can do for it. She has other major concerns, she has a secret, one that must remain hidden, even from a man that she could see herself sharing a life with. But when circumstances occur that force her into a marriage with Harry, she starts to open her heart to him, a man that could give her everything she ever dreamed of.

The Hero (Harry Morant)
Harry has lived a life where he had to create his own luck. He was born a bastard and rejected by his father and most of his family. Then he was taken in by his aunt, who has loved him more than anyone so far. But when he falls in love for the first time, he is then rejected in the worst possible way. So he spent quite a few years in the army, and has now just returned. Dedicated to starting a new and fresh start, he is instantly drawn to Helen. Even though she keeps rejecting him, there is something about her that keeps him captivated, and committed to proving to her how right he is for her.

The Heroine (Helen Freymore)
Helen, was attacked and raped and found herself pregnant. So her father forced her into hiding, and after giving birth, she became ill. While asleep her father stole her daughter from her, and hid her away in London. Now she is desperate to find her daughter, no matter the cost to herself. Having searched London, and out of money, she returns home. But she finds that her home has been taken away from her because of her father's debts. So now she is forced to work as a companion to a woman who treats her worse than animals. But then Harry offers her a way out, but she knows that he may be her only chance at finding her daughter and discovering a powerful love.

My Thoughts
Lately I have been reading some amazing reviews from books written by this author, and so I was very excited to read His Captive Lady. There was many things that I enjoyed about this one. Even though it was in the middle of the series, I didn't feel very lost at all, and I think it could be read as a stand alone if desired. After liking this one so much, I plan on reading more books written by this author. It starts out with the first meeting between Helen and Harry taking place. We see a instant attraction, and my heart just went out to the hero from the beginning. He has a strong personality but we also see a sensitive side that only makes him even more attractive to me. I really just fell in love with the way he treats Helen. He is very protective of her and isn't afraid of commitment or marriage despite his bad luck in the past. I also loved the vivid way this author writes her descriptions of England, and i just loved seeing these two fall in love. There was also a strong emotional bond that is vividly portrayed. And I will admit on shedding a tear or two. Definitely had its emotionally wrenching moments for sure. There was definitely a enchanting ring to this tale that just had me totally addicted to the charming tale of love and romance. A page turner that will move you on a emotional level. A Delightful tale that will warm you heart and leave you aching to read more from this author!! ( )
  addictofromance | Dec 6, 2014 |
This was a good book. Really like Anne Gracie. The characters were interesting, and I really liked Nell and Harry. It was fast paced (I read it in a day) and enjoyable, and I also really liked the subplot with Ethan and Tibby.

Good read! ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
Amazon preorder
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
Continues the “Devil Riders” series with Harry and Ethan setting up a horse farm. But when Harry sees the bedraggled Nell riding in a dray cart and offers her his hat and gloves. Later, he learns that the estate he is buying is one her father lost gambling and will leave Lady Helen (Nell) homeless. As the two struggle to trust, Harry becomes increasingly protective and ultimately realizes that he has fallen in love. ( )
  4leschats | Apr 6, 2013 |
She looked like a drowning madonna.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425223248, Mass Market Paperback)

No one can resist the Devil Riders: four war heroes in search of one good woman.

Harry Morant?s tough exterior hides a badly scarred heart. The natural son of an earl, high-born ladies have only one use for him?in the bedchamber. Now, after eight years at war, Harry is breeding racehorses and planning a practical, unemotional marriage. But when he buys a new estate, his careful plans are threatened by an unexpected passion for? of all things?an earl?s daughter.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:33 -0400)

"Harry Morant's tough exterior hides a badly scarred heart. The natural son of an earl, high-born ladies have only one use for him-- in the bedchamber. Now, after eight years at war, Harry is breeding racehorses and planning a practical, unemotional marriage. But when he buys a new estate, his careful plans are threatened by an unexpected passion for-- of all things-- an earl's daughter. Lady Helen Freymore, otherwise known as Nell, is not interested. A lifetime of lies has brought Nell to the brink of ruin. Trapped by poverty and scandal, she trusts no man ; she has her own secret quest of the heart. Harry's pursuit of her, however, is relentless. Forced into a marriage she never sought, she soon finds herself powerfully drawn to this masterful but gentle soldier. Bus as Christmas draws near, Nell's secret past threatens to shatter their newfound happiness" -- p. [4] of cover.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,021,249 books! | Top bar: Always visible