The Demonata #1: Lord Loss: Book 1 in the…

The Demonata #1: Lord Loss: Book 1 in the Demonata series (edition 2006)

by Darren Shan

Member:Grisanwich2
Title:The Demonata #1: Lord Loss: Book 1 in the Demonata series
Authors:Darren Shan
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2006), Paperback, 240 pages
Rating:***1/2

Lord Loss by Darren Shan

Recently added byprivate library, catiew, dm13, ArkhamReviews

I actually really enjoyed reading this novel - far more than I was expecting.

Although gratuitously violent in places, the plot was compelling and contained some twists that actually did take me by surprise. The first person narrative and clipped sentences helped to make the novel fast-paced and exciting, nicely reflecting its dark subject matter.

Without spoiling anything, I felt that the mechanics of the climax were utterly enthralling. Even though I was in no read doubt about how the novel would end, I was still curious to see exactly how the events would pan out.

If I had to pick out a fault, I did think that the relationship between Grubbs and his family could have been fleshed out a little better. In the few chapters that they appeared, I did not learn enough about them to make me really feel sad to see them go. However, I did not feel that this especially detract from the novel. The book was highly enjoyable and a must read for any horror fans. ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Jul 8, 2014 |
Grubbs Grady You Are My Hero! ( )
  wickedshizuku | May 12, 2014 |
Fabulous series- a must read! I instantly fell in love with the characters, even the bad guys. Then again, I love horror & demons! It was very easy to picture the setting(s) and feel like i was living in their world, too. Best series of Shan's so far! I so hope there will be a good movie about this series. I really miss this series, might read again someday! ( )
  darkonelh3730 | Dec 27, 2013 |
Ordinarily I'm not very interested in fiction about demons and the only reason I picked this book up in the first place was because I was familiar with Shan's other work (I read most of the Cirque du Freak series when I was in middle school and I recently read the first book in his newer Zom-B series) and know that I enjoy his writing style.

Lord Loss managed to rustle up some interest in me in a subgenre of horror that I've managed to avoid so far -- the demon characters in this book are effectively frightening and a welcome diversion from the more popular horror tropes (vampires, ghosts, werewolves) appearing in fiction these days. You will find some familiar creatures in this book, but Shan manages to re-envision them so effectively that they seem like new monsters from fresh mythology.

The main characters are distinct and likeable, even through their faults, which I think is one of the cornerstones of good writing. There are virtually no points in the story where the reader gets bogged down by useless or uninteresting information, and though the plot is horrendously melodramatic it manages to sustain itself well -- a great balance of action and emotion. I found myself worrying and caring about the characters and the consequences of their actions in a way that I haven't experienced in a horror novel in quite some time, and it was very welcome.

It's definitely a gory book and probably little unusual in that regard considering its primary YA market, but it never feels contrived or ridiculous. I would absolutely recommend this book to fans of either horror or YA lit and I'm looking forward to finishing the rest of the series. ( )
  vombatiformes | May 11, 2013 |
Very gory and intense. Not recommended for the faint of heart. I love it. Probably aimed more at the male crowd but I could handle it. ( )
  SparklePonies | May 1, 2013 |

If you were on the verge of losing someone you loved, would you put your soul on the line for a chance to win them back?
Grubbs Grady is a screaming wreck, plagued by nightmares since his encounter with Lord Loss and his terrible minions, Vein and Artery. He doesn’t understand why his family had to die so brutally – and nobody believes him when he talks about demons. When Grubbs’ uncle Dervish Grady pays him a visit, however, things begin to look brighter. Dervish takes Grubbs to his dark home in Carcery Vale, with the promise that one day he will explain the truth. Things can only get better . . . right?

Presumably the only witness to the horrific and bloody murder of his entire family, a teenage boy must outwit not only the mental health professionals determined to cure his delusion, but also the demonic forces only he can see.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,617,467 books! | Top bar: Always visible