The Demonata #1: Lord Loss: Book 1 in the…

The Demonata #1: Lord Loss: Book 1 in the Demonata series (edition 2006)

by Darren Shan

Member:Grisanwich2
Title:The Demonata #1: Lord Loss: Book 1 in the Demonata series
Authors:Darren Shan
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2006), Paperback, 240 pages
Rating:***1/2

Lord Loss by Darren Shan

I loved Darren Shan's Cirque Du Freak series (I mean, seriously, almost literally drooled over waiting for each edition of those books...) so set myself the goal of reading his other series as well. This sounded the more interesting, so this is the one I've started with.

Definitely dark, definitely morbid, it's a young adult for older teens, despite how it's marketed. Just as enjoyable for adults, at least this one. The main character encounters a tragic, violent loss as he finds his family destroyed and faces the villains who did it (brutal stuff). When he mentally heals enough to cope, he finds himself sheltered by his long-lost uncle, a man who knows more than he's telling, but who is willing to tell it as soon as Grubbs wants to listen.

I can tell there are complicated intricacies waiting in further sequels. This one kept it a little simple for effect and establishing structure. There were twists and surprises as they are slowly unveiled, but nothing too stunning. I finally figured out where the chess came into play - interesting stuff. I dug the idea of the family curse, the magic use, and the ties with the demon master Lord Loss.

Grubbs is a worthy main young adult protagonist. He's not obnoxious, he's realistic, and I especially thought Shan wrote his madness well. Almost a poetic bend to tell that part of the story. The uncle is easy to fall in love with and I hope he sticks around. The new best friend, Bill-E, is adorably likeable. As far as villains go, Lord Loss is evil through and through, creepy, and even I wanted him to leave.

There's violence and gore - from someone dead being used as a finger puppet, to beheadings, and even a bizarre story about the original owner of the house getting rid of a baby he didn't want by feeding it to his pet piranhas. It's not continuous, but it's brutal in the scenes which are meant to be horrifying. Of course these scenes hold up strong in their tensions. You never know what the author will pull out of his hat, after all.

I rated three rather than five as the story didn't addict or fully captivate me yet. It has the potential to and I'll definitely keep reading.

The ending is kind of a calm before the storm - a relieved sigh that things are surprisingly okay. This never stays, as I've found - especially considering there are at least ten more of these books to go. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
The book I am reading I from the series The Demonata: Lord Loss by Darren Shan. I love how he puts so much detail into his writings. The details he puts into his books are so imaginative and he puts what you read and puts it into your mind. You could just imagine what you read.
This is part from the book," The dripping sound-a body hanging upside down from the webby ceiling in the center of the room. No head. Blood drops to the floor from the gaping red O of the neck. Even without the head I recognize him. "DAD"! This was part of the book that I can imagine in my head the minute I started reading it. The way he writes about what happened to the dad.
I choose this quote because it expresses a gruesome and bloody death that made me sick to my stomach. It could also give little kids nightmares.
  Hana2000 | Jan 29, 2016 |
Lord Loss
Teenage Fantasy/Horror - Well paced realisation of the existence of demons and things coming down to some pretty ordinary kid to deal with it all. Nice Relationship building too. I stopped after the first one in the series but want to read a few more.
  garethmottram | Oct 27, 2015 |
I actually really enjoyed reading this novel - far more than I was expecting.

Although gratuitously violent in places, the plot was compelling and contained some twists that actually did take me by surprise. The first person narrative and clipped sentences helped to make the novel fast-paced and exciting, nicely reflecting its dark subject matter.

Without spoiling anything, I felt that the mechanics of the climax were utterly enthralling. Even though I was in no read doubt about how the novel would end, I was still curious to see exactly how the events would pan out.

If I had to pick out a fault, I did think that the relationship between Grubbs and his family could have been fleshed out a little better. In the few chapters that they appeared, I did not learn enough about them to make me really feel sad to see them go. However, I did not feel that this especially detract from the novel. The book was highly enjoyable and a must read for any horror fans. ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Jul 8, 2014 |
Grubbs Grady You Are My Hero! ( )
  wickedshizuku | May 12, 2014 |

If you were on the verge of losing someone you loved, would you put your soul on the line for a chance to win them back?
Grubbs Grady is a screaming wreck, plagued by nightmares since his encounter with Lord Loss and his terrible minions, Vein and Artery. He doesn’t understand why his family had to die so brutally – and nobody believes him when he talks about demons. When Grubbs’ uncle Dervish Grady pays him a visit, however, things begin to look brighter. Dervish takes Grubbs to his dark home in Carcery Vale, with the promise that one day he will explain the truth. Things can only get better . . . right?

Presumably the only witness to the horrific and bloody murder of his entire family, a teenage boy must outwit not only the mental health professionals determined to cure his delusion, but also the demonic forces only he can see.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,629,726 books! | Top bar: Always visible