The Demonata #1: Lord Loss: Book 1 in the…

The Demonata #1: Lord Loss: Book 1 in the Demonata series (edition 2006)

by Darren Shan

Member:Grisanwich2
Title:The Demonata #1: Lord Loss: Book 1 in the Demonata series
Authors:Darren Shan
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2006), Paperback, 240 pages
Rating:***1/2

Lord Loss by Darren Shan

The book I am reading I from the series The Demonata: Lord Loss by Darren Shan. I love how he puts so much detail into his writings. The details he puts into his books are so imaginative and he puts what you read and puts it into your mind. You could just imagine what you read.
This is part from the book," The dripping sound-a body hanging upside down from the webby ceiling in the center of the room. No head. Blood drops to the floor from the gaping red O of the neck. Even without the head I recognize him. "DAD"! This was part of the book that I can imagine in my head the minute I started reading it. The way he writes about what happened to the dad.
I choose this quote because it expresses a gruesome and bloody death that made me sick to my stomach. It could also give little kids nightmares.
  Hana2000 | Jan 29, 2016 |
Lord Loss
Teenage Fantasy/Horror - Well paced realisation of the existence of demons and things coming down to some pretty ordinary kid to deal with it all. Nice Relationship building too. I stopped after the first one in the series but want to read a few more.
  garethmottram | Oct 27, 2015 |
I actually really enjoyed reading this novel - far more than I was expecting.

Although gratuitously violent in places, the plot was compelling and contained some twists that actually did take me by surprise. The first person narrative and clipped sentences helped to make the novel fast-paced and exciting, nicely reflecting its dark subject matter.

Without spoiling anything, I felt that the mechanics of the climax were utterly enthralling. Even though I was in no read doubt about how the novel would end, I was still curious to see exactly how the events would pan out.

If I had to pick out a fault, I did think that the relationship between Grubbs and his family could have been fleshed out a little better. In the few chapters that they appeared, I did not learn enough about them to make me really feel sad to see them go. However, I did not feel that this especially detract from the novel. The book was highly enjoyable and a must read for any horror fans. ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Jul 8, 2014 |
Grubbs Grady You Are My Hero! ( )
  wickedshizuku | May 12, 2014 |
Fabulous series- a must read! I instantly fell in love with the characters, even the bad guys. Then again, I love horror & demons! It was very easy to picture the setting(s) and feel like i was living in their world, too. Best series of Shan's so far! I so hope there will be a good movie about this series. I really miss this series, might read again someday! ( )
  darkonelh3730 | Dec 27, 2013 |

If you were on the verge of losing someone you loved, would you put your soul on the line for a chance to win them back?
Grubbs Grady is a screaming wreck, plagued by nightmares since his encounter with Lord Loss and his terrible minions, Vein and Artery. He doesn’t understand why his family had to die so brutally – and nobody believes him when he talks about demons. When Grubbs’ uncle Dervish Grady pays him a visit, however, things begin to look brighter. Dervish takes Grubbs to his dark home in Carcery Vale, with the promise that one day he will explain the truth. Things can only get better . . . right?

Presumably the only witness to the horrific and bloody murder of his entire family, a teenage boy must outwit not only the mental health professionals determined to cure his delusion, but also the demonic forces only he can see.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,885,440 books! | Top bar: Always visible