Montmorency and the Assassins by Eleanor…

Montmorency and the Assassins

by Eleanor Updale

I loved the first book in this series [b:Thief, Liar, Gentleman?|638603|Thief, Liar, Gentleman? (Montmorency, #1)|Eleanor Updale|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1176592544s/638603.jpg|1526789]. Yes, the story stretches the limits of believability. An urchin with no education is readily accepted as a member of the upper classes in Victorian London. His transformation from callous thief to refined gentleman occurs overnight upon his attending his first opera. Yet, I decided to accept these improbable twists and go along with the story.

But the second book [b:Montmorency On The Rocks: Doctor, Aristocrat, Murderer?|638674|Montmorency On The Rocks Doctor, Aristocrat, Murderer? (Montmorency, #2)|Eleanor Updale|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1176593297s/638674.jpg|1749148] took a turn for the worst. Instead of developing their personality, here the characters became even shallower. The plot is random, the reasons behind the characters' actions non-existent or contradictory with their previous behaviors.

The female characters even less developed that their male counterparts and that is to say something. There is no hint of any kind of sexuality on any of them, male or female, even though one of the females is a prostitute. And by the way, this is a YA novel, am I the only one to have a problem with that?

Apparently so. For the protagonists, even the aristocratic lord, accept her easily enough. And then, there is the bomb, at the end of the second book, that the said prostitute is pregnant. As I said, there is no hint of any relationship before, so the reader is left wondering who is the father of the baby.

The reader is not the only one wondering, for during this, the third book, the three male protagonists wonder too whether they are the father of the now 13 year old boy. Which means the mother was the lover of the three men. At least once. Yet, the four of them get along swimmingly. Really?

Then, there is Maggie, the doormat nurse, who does everything for her love interest, without asking anything in return. Her selfishness is irritating. Is this what we want our daughters to become?

Plus the story in this third installment makes even less sense than the previous ones. And the characters, aristocrats, anarchists, working classes and the new American industrialists are all clichés and poorly developed. And don't get me started with the contrivance of the reappearance in America of a secondary character from the first book.

Overall terribly disappointing. ( )
  CarmenFerreiro | Mar 28, 2016 |
It was really sad when people died in there, like Maggie and George. But overall, this book was really enjoyable. ( )
  Zhen.Li | Apr 23, 2013 |
The first book was excellent; the follow ups interesting, but not as good as the first one. I think the problem is that we have gotten to know Montmorency a bit too well. When he was more conflicted in terms of whether he wanted to be Scarper or Montmorency, he was interesting. Now he seems less so, though I am enjoying getting to know George Fox-Selwyn's family. The book does have a number of shocking revelations for those who have followed the series. I was thoroughly surprised by them (I keep thinking that a YA novel would be "softer" in its treatment of crime, sex, death, etc.--more fool me). Anyway, my naivete regarding the YA novel in general has allowed me to be surprised by this series, and I have enjoyed every minute of it. ( )
  Denise701 | Jun 24, 2012 |
The American parts were interesting - mildly - the spy bits were largely stupid (_how_ long have they been doing this?), the characters and relationships were rather sketchy. Again, a bad place to stop - setting up for a sequel a little too obviously. Each book gets more bloody, more depressing, and less interesting - I may or may not look at the next one if I come across it, I won't seek it out. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Jun 26, 2008 |
Characters worn thin.

This franchise is done, I think.

Won’t look for the fourth. ( )
  librarianlk | Oct 30, 2007 |

Montmorency, the man who leads a double life as both a criminal and a gentleman, is back for his most thrilling adventure yet in the next installment of this spellbinding series.

As the nineteenth century draws to a close, war is in the air, and influenza is sweeping the globe. After twenty years as a gentleman, Montmorency is glad to be free of Scarper, his wretched alter ego. However, when Montmorency's young friend Frank finds himself caught in the middle of a murderous political plot, Montmorency may have no choice but to call upon none other than Scarper for help.
Follow Montmorency, Fox-Selwyn, Dr. Farcett, and a whole new generation of characters on their travels from London to Scotland, Italy, and America.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:44 -0400)

After twenty years as a gentleman, Montmorency is glad to be free of Scarper, his wretched alter-ego, but when a young friend is caught in the middle of a murderous political plot, Montmorency may have no choice but to call upon Scarper for help.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,971,390 books! | Top bar: Always visible