The Ghosts on 87th Lane: A True Story by M.…

The Ghosts on 87th Lane: A True Story

by M. L. Woelm

Llewellyn Books continues in their fine tradition of offering a book contract to every slightly daffy woman who has ever heard something go bump in the night. This book was the paper equivalent of listening to a beloved but long-winded aunt discuss the ghost she thinks lives in her attic, though that is sort of unfair because our beloved aunt would not sit there and read from her diary in which she recorded the events of several decades worth of very understated haunting.

Marlene has a husband Paul, who reads like an utter jerk of a human being and whose continual dismissal of his wife wore very thin after 10 or so pages, a cruddy house she lived in for decades, and a couple of kids. She was also haunted by what she thinks is the ghost of a little boy who died in the house. 276 pages of what can only be described as the occasional mist, unexplained noise and objects moved around from time to time. Really. The haunting was about as scary as living with a few cats.

And Woelm's storytelling technique of regurgitating every tiny paranormal event does not help the tedium. In all candor, I just began to scan around page 100 because this book was less interesting than a series of blog entries from a young woman who is certain that the noise she hears just cannot be the wind.

So, yeah, this book is in keeping with the trend of low-quality reads that Llewellyn has been cranking out for the last five or so years. I also hate panning this book because the author photo for the book shows the sort of woman whom I would prefer to hug than dismiss. Her and her little dog. She just seems adorable, you know? So this sort of hurts.

Though, perhaps you should read this book because if nothing else, it will make you appreciate the doctored narratives of hauntings, like The Amityville Horror. Woelm's excruciatingly honest story may have been startling to her, but it doesn't translate into the sort of fear-inducing page-turner that justifies publishing an entire book about one family's very mild, mostly uninteresting haunting. ( )
  oddbooks | Jan 2, 2013 |
My main problem with this book was the jumping around back and forth through time. It did make the story a little hard to follow. The author is easy to read and very likeable. Not terrible, but not the best I have read on this subject. ( )
  TFS93 | Oct 19, 2012 |
This book was a quick and easy read. It was interesting and exciting. I was expecting a scarier plotline, but still a good book! ( )
  lfoster82 | May 25, 2010 |
Well-written (and funny!) story of the author's experiences living in a haunted house for nearly 40 years. ( )
  Seajack | Oct 1, 2007 |

Once upon a time, my house was haunted. It still is. I began recording my experiences, hoping to one day share them. I kept waiting for the incidents to stop, so I'd have a logical conclusion to my book. So far, that hasn't happened. It may never happen. I'd like to get my story told before I become a ghost myself.

The True Story of a Haunting
Beginning in 1968 and spanning four decades, this true story chronicles the hair-raising experiences that nearly drove an ordinary housewife and mother to the breaking point.

Not every haunted house is an old Victorian mansion, as the author and her family discovered when they bought a modest house in the suburbs. Even a post-war starter home can be a dwelling place for earthbound spirits—especially if it holds a tragic secret from the past. Eerie feelings of being watched, disembodied sobs, mysterious scratches appearing on her throat, and a child's voice crying, "Mommy!" convinced M. L. Woelm that she was sharing her home with ghosts. This is her story.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:08 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,907,783 books! | Top bar: Always visible