Magic to the Bone by Devon Monk

Magic to the Bone

by Devon Monk

7345412,734 (3.55)1 / 31
Recently added bypnwbookgirl, chessakat, juks44, sward131, TheYodamom, GanneC, Irena., private library
    Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire (quenstalof)
    quenstalof: Both deal with sort of magical detective work with larger story-arcs at play in the background. Toby and Allie are both strong female characters with a penchant for noticing the way that magic smells.
    Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh (TheBooknerd)

The book is set in Portland in an alternative reality where magic is used and accepted - with a heavy price. Allie is just a little too world weary at the age of 25 for me. Maybe the book is just a little darker than I want to read right now?

Since it's a library book, I may come back to this at a future time. Until then, I have other books that may be more enjoyable to read. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
I liked this book, and I really didn't know what to expect. I picked it up on a whim because the author is local to Portland, where I lived and my parents live close to now (and it was at a tiny used bookstore in a tiny town, where the proprietor is really into paranormal, blah blah blah.)

Set in a universe where magic was "discovered" 30 years ago and is used in all sorts of functions, magic also has a darkside - magic users pay a price for wielding it, in illness, soreness, or even death. Allie's having a tough time - she's estranged from her rich powerful father, living in a crappy apartment in a crappy part of Portland and "hounding" for a living - tracking down rogue magic users - sometimes without pay. When she's asked to hound a hit on her friend Mama's son, Boy (it's kind of a joke, the name), she sets off a chain reaction that just keeps getting worse. Mysterious Zayvion Jones keeps popping up to bail her out, but he keeps just out of reach enough to be an enigma and very very interesting.

I liked this. It has some real potential for a series and I'm glad to see that the next is set to come out in May. And I LOVE that it's set in Portland, even if some details are totally skewed in my experience. ;) ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
Wasn't sure I was going to like it at first, but it got better and better as I kept reading. Really enjoyed it, and look forward to the next Allie Beckstrom book. Glad I got the library to buy this one. :) Oh wow -- just saw there are at least SEVEN more waiting to be read! Nice! ( )
  emblue | Jan 3, 2016 |
I did enjoy this urban fantasy. Allie is the main character in a world of magic and non-magic users. I liked the potential love story/interest, Zay, however there is almost too much mystery behind him. ( )
  msphotogirl | Oct 19, 2015 |
This book has been on my to-read list for ...years, probably. A long time, anyway. I've picked it up, read a few pages, put it back down. Picked it up, something turned me off on it, and I put it back down. I've listened to it in audiobook form, tried the physical book, tried the ebook, and it just never clicked.

Until this time. And then I clicked so hard that I read the whole series in one go. Woo. Loved it. :) ( )
  lyrrael | Oct 18, 2015 |
For my family
It was the morning of my twenty-fifth birthday, and all I wanted was a decent cup of coffee, a hot breakfast, and a couple hours away from the stink of used magic that seeped through the walls of my apartment building every time it rained.

"Using magic meant it used you back. Forget the fairy-tale hocus-pocus, wave a hand and bling-o, sparkles and pixie dust crap. Magic, like booze, sex, and drugs, gave as good as it got."

Everything has a cost. And every act of magic exacts a price from its user -maybe a two-day migraine, or losing the memory of your first kiss. But some people want to use magic without paying, and they Offload the cost onto innocents. When that happens, it falls to a Hound to identify the spell's caster - and Allison Beckstrom's the best there is.

daughter of a prominent Portland businessman, Allie would rather moonlight as a hound than accept family fortune - and the strings that come with it. But when she discovers a little boy dying from a magic Off load that has her father's signature allover it, Allie is thrown into the high-stakes world of corporate espionage and black magic.

Now Allie's out for the truth - and must call upon forces that will challenge everything she knows, change her in ways she could never imagine...and maybe her capable of things that powerful people will do anything to control.

In this clever and compulsively readable debut, set in a magical analog of Portland, Ore., Allie Beckstrom is a Hound, able to trace a spell back to its caster. When a young boy is injured by a spell, Allie tracks it back to her estranged father, Daniel, a ruthless businessman who protests his innocence. Then someone magically disguised as Allie kills Daniel. Allie and sexy corporate operative Zayvion race against time to find the answers. Magic is common in this alternate universe, but using it always incurs a physical or mental cost, rendering it a commodity to be bought and sold, used and abused.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,077,236 books! | Top bar: Always visible