Magic to the Bone by Devon Monk

Magic to the Bone

by Devon Monk

Recently added byannekaelber, CristinaLogg, EmScape, private library, Larkken, RowingRabbit, VicBT, Tala2cubs
    Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire (quenstalof)
    quenstalof: Both deal with sort of magical detective work with larger story-arcs at play in the background. Toby and Allie are both strong female characters with a penchant for noticing the way that magic smells.
    Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh (TheBooknerd)

Liked this book very much, unique world building, decent explanations thereof. Excellent expression of female sexual agency, though the memory loss of those experiences smacks of punishment for that agency. That part I'm not cool with.

The magic seems to parallel technology in this series, which is an interesting choice on the writer's part. It deeply resembles turn of the century Victorian fiction with it's deep seated fear and excitement about technology and the ways it can be used and abused. I like the dark and gritty feel of the books.

This book deals directly with the issues faced by a single female trying to make it on her own, specifically in a way that differs dramatically than that of her parents. When I broached my UF project with her, one of my profs asked me who I thought the target audience for the genre was. I think effectively: me. It targets "adult" women under the age of say, 40, who are negotiating a path through a world that really is kind of an old boys' club. Sound familiar? Women who are single, or at least unmarried negotiating love lives, dating, work, sexism, assault, and identity. I think the genre targets a generation that was raised just outside the idea that they would grow up, get married, have kids and be house wives. Some of us did think that and discovered it wasn't the case and that, while out of adolescence and so called young adulthood, we still don't have the damn world figured out and sure thought we should know what we are doing with our lives by now.

But these women start out the novels between 21 and 25 and it goes from there. Anita Blake is going on 30 now I think. UF deals with the idea that we may not live happily ever after, that we have to fight and live for ourselves, that we have to daily negotiate a world where monsters are real, whether that monstrosity takes the form of magic (metaphor), or the all too human monsters that we the readers are intimately acquainted with. I think these books target a disillusioned generation effecting and experiencing a changing world that can be at once exhilarating and frightening; some days we are on top of it, others it smacks us back. These books support the idea that with some luck and good decision making skills we might find a long term partner, and that in the mean time there is nothing wrong with an action packed roll in the sack. The degree to which the genre is sex positive varies, but it is there. That aspect, in and of itself, is a new and constructive thing.

raselyem7 | Aug 30, 2014 |
A good read. I'm glad to have read this one and I can see why the series has had such a following. ( )
  ladycato | Mar 11, 2014 |
It had a promising premise, which is why I bought it. Sadly, about 30 pages in, I was ready to give up... a great twist kept me reading for another hundred pages or so... but finally I just skipped pages till I got to the end. ( )
  reckshow | Jan 21, 2014 |
Eh...moderately interesting. ( )
  ahappybooker | Sep 24, 2013 |
Eh...moderately interesting. ( )
  a.happy.booker | Sep 24, 2013 |
For my family
It was the morning of my twenty-fifth birthday, and all I wanted was a decent cup of coffee, a hot breakfast, and a couple hours away from the stink of used magic that seeped through the walls of my apartment building every time it rained.

"Using magic meant it used you back. Forget the fairy-tale hocus-pocus, wave a hand and bling-o, sparkles and pixie dust crap. Magic, like booze, sex, and drugs, gave as good as it got."

Everything has a cost. And every act of magic exacts a price from its user -maybe a two-day migraine, or losing the memory of your first kiss. But some people want to use magic without paying, and they Offload the cost onto innocents. When that happens, it falls to a Hound to identify the spell's caster - and Allison Beckstrom's the best there is.

daughter of a prominent Portland businessman, Allie would rather moonlight as a hound than accept family fortune - and the strings that come with it. But when she discovers a little boy dying from a magic Off load that has her father's signature allover it, Allie is thrown into the high-stakes world of corporate espionage and black magic.

Now Allie's out for the truth - and must call upon forces that will challenge everything she knows, change her in ways she could never imagine...and maybe her capable of things that powerful people will do anything to control.

In this clever and compulsively readable debut, set in a magical analog of Portland, Ore., Allie Beckstrom is a Hound, able to trace a spell back to its caster. When a young boy is injured by a spell, Allie tracks it back to her estranged father, Daniel, a ruthless businessman who protests his innocence. Then someone magically disguised as Allie kills Daniel. Allie and sexy corporate operative Zayvion race against time to find the answers. Magic is common in this alternate universe, but using it always incurs a physical or mental cost, rendering it a commodity to be bought and sold, used and abused.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,330,901 books! | Top bar: Always visible