Magic to the Bone by Devon Monk

Magic to the Bone

by Devon Monk

Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire (quenstalof)
    quenstalof: Both deal with sort of magical detective work with larger story-arcs at play in the background. Toby and Allie are both strong female characters with a penchant for noticing the way that magic smells.
    Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh (TheBooknerd)

A good read. I'm glad to have read this one and I can see why the series has had such a following. ( )
  ladycato | Mar 11, 2014 |
It had a promising premise, which is why I bought it. Sadly, about 30 pages in, I was ready to give up... a great twist kept me reading for another hundred pages or so... but finally I just skipped pages till I got to the end. ( )
  reckshow | Jan 21, 2014 |
Eh...moderately interesting. ( )
  ahappybooker | Sep 24, 2013 |
Eh...moderately interesting. ( )
  a.happy.booker | Sep 24, 2013 |
RATING: 2.5 Stars.

Imagine an alternate world where magic is real and you can use it at your leisure... if you pay the price, of course. Magic is a wild resource and it's as bad for you as alcohol and drugs. But the rewards are worth it; or at least some people think so.

Allie Beckstrom is the heir to the company that came up with the technology to harvest and use magic. But, tired of her manipulative father she ran away from home and is now a Hound; a sort of private eye that literally tracks (with smell and other magic-enhanced senses) people who use magic wrongly.

One day she discovers her father had made wrong use of magic; shortly after confronting him, Mr Beckstrom turns up dead. Now Allie is the prime suspect.

I bought this book mainly because it seemed original (by the summary in the back cover) in the urban fantasy genre. I was actually intrigued by the idea of magic as a commodity in the modern world; something you could harvest and sell. Something that used you as you used it.

Maybe I had too many expectations, because I was sorely disappointed by this book. While the world building was solid and interesting, the story was all over the place; it was sometimes, confusing. The identity of the "bad guys" was painfully obvious.

The characters weren't amiable at all, I didn't really care much for any of them, including the main character, Allie. They were all very much like the mass produced heroes and heroines we read about in urban fantasy nowadays. They even seemed one dimensional at times.

Will probably not follow these series, unless the synopse in the back cover of the second book is shiny. I confess I might continue reading just for the quirky world-building. :| ( )
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |
For my family
It was the morning of my twenty-fifth birthday, and all I wanted was a decent cup of coffee, a hot breakfast, and a couple hours away from the stink of used magic that seeped through the walls of my apartment building every time it rained.

"Using magic meant it used you back. Forget the fairy-tale hocus-pocus, wave a hand and bling-o, sparkles and pixie dust crap. Magic, like booze, sex, and drugs, gave as good as it got."

Everything has a cost. And every act of magic exacts a price from its user -maybe a two-day migraine, or losing the memory of your first kiss. But some people want to use magic without paying, and they Offload the cost onto innocents. When that happens, it falls to a Hound to identify the spell's caster - and Allison Beckstrom's the best there is.

daughter of a prominent Portland businessman, Allie would rather moonlight as a hound than accept family fortune - and the strings that come with it. But when she discovers a little boy dying from a magic Off load that has her father's signature allover it, Allie is thrown into the high-stakes world of corporate espionage and black magic.

Now Allie's out for the truth - and must call upon forces that will challenge everything she knows, change her in ways she could never imagine...and maybe her capable of things that powerful people will do anything to control.

In this clever and compulsively readable debut, set in a magical analog of Portland, Ore., Allie Beckstrom is a Hound, able to trace a spell back to its caster. When a young boy is injured by a spell, Allie tracks it back to her estranged father, Daniel, a ruthless businessman who protests his innocence. Then someone magically disguised as Allie kills Daniel. Allie and sexy corporate operative Zayvion race against time to find the answers. Magic is common in this alternate universe, but using it always incurs a physical or mental cost, rendering it a commodity to be bought and sold, used and abused.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,483,609 books! | Top bar: Always visible