Our Town : A Play in Three Acts, Acting…

Our Town : A Play in Three Acts, Acting Edition (original 1938; edition 1939)

by Thornton Wilder, Frank Craven (Adapter)

Member:jburlinson
Title:Our Town : A Play in Three Acts, Acting Edition
Authors:Thornton Wilder
Other authors:Frank Craven (Adapter)
Info:Coward-McCann, Inc w/Samuel French, Inc (1939), Edition: 1st Ed, Paperback, 117 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Plays

Our Town by Thornton Wilder (1938)

Daily life, love and marriage, and death in a small New England town. This was a reread for me; I found it just as powerful as I remembered. ( )
  foggidawn | Dec 18, 2016 |
This is my favorite play. It has a subtle sense of humor and I liked that. It's also really sad in places. I'm not sure I can give it a good enough review. It's simple, but political. I enjoyed the portrayal of the afterlife. Good stuff. ( )
  heart77 | Dec 13, 2016 |
This play holds a very special place in my heart, as I had the honor playing George Gibbs in my school's production and it had brought me to tears on multiple occasions. This show is notorious for being excruciatingly long, but I feel as though every second is worth the payoffs throughout the play. The subject is one commonly overlooked by many: Our lives, as we live them. Tackling many difficult subjects, this is a fantastic read regardless of age, gender, religion, or race.
  dbhatia | Nov 9, 2016 |
Life changing, very focused in its theme. It's just not much more than what it is, if that makes sense–even if it's one message is fairly profound. ( )
  chronoceros | Jul 15, 2016 |
Well, first of all, it's not universal. Not everyone feels the need to go 'two by two' for just one example. Second, since there's almost no scenery, almost no direction, isn't reading it almost as good as seeing it? Who's to say which performance is authentic: the one in your mind, the one in my mind, the one at your high school a few years ago, or a professional one in the 40s?

So, imo, my opinion is reasonably valid. And my opinion is, it's very smart, with some bits that truly move one, but it's not the classic one would imagine it to be, if one bases one's judgement on how many times it's been performed. I opine that the reason it's performed so often is because it's easy to do so. Hardly any set, and hardly any emotion to mess up. Teens in a town the size of Grover's Corners can do an adequate job, thankyouverymuch.

Maybe, someday, if I see a lovingly-done performance and read carefully-written criticism, I'll appreciate it more. For now, I liked but didn't love it. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |

Thornton Wilderprimary authorall editionscalculated
Margulies, DonaldForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Alexander Woollcott of Castleton Township, Rutland County, Vermont
This play is called "Our Town."
Emily: Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? - every, every minute?

Stage manager: No. (Pause) the saints and poets, maybe - they do some.

This short play seems simple at first, but is actually has a lot of depth to it. It is about the typical life in the small and quaint town of Grover's Courner, New Hampshire. The characters are very genuine. The main theme of the book asks what the purpose of life is; I think the message is to enjoy the life you have and to not waste it because it will be over before we know it. Don't take life for granted. Do something with your life. I loved reading this play because of its message and the particular way the play gets that message across.

Our Town was first produced and published in 1938 to wide acclaim. This Pulitzer Prize–winning drama of life in the town of Grover 's Corners, an allegorical representation of all life, has become a classic. It is Thornton Wilder's most renowned and most frequently performed play.

It is now reissued in this handsome hardcover edition, featuring a new Foreword by Donald Margulies, who writes, "You are holding in your hands a great American play. Possibly the great American play." In addition, Tappan Wilder has written an eye-opening new Afterword, which includes Thornton Wilder's unpublished notes and other illuminating photographs and documentary material.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:38 -0400)

This beautiful new edition features an eye-opening Afterword written by Tappan Wilder that includes Thornton Wilder's unpublished notes and other illuminating photographs and documentary material. Our Town was first produced and published in 1938 to wide acclaim. This Pulitzer Prize-winning drama of life in the small village of Grover's Corners, an allegorical representation of all life, has become a classic. It is Thornton Wilder's most renowned and most frequently performed play.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,336,656 books! | Top bar: Always visible