Our Town : A Play in Three Acts, Acting…

Our Town : A Play in Three Acts, Acting Edition (original 1938; edition 1939)

by Thornton Wilder, Frank Craven (Adapter)

Member:jburlinson
Title:Our Town : A Play in Three Acts, Acting Edition
Authors:Thornton Wilder
Other authors:Frank Craven (Adapter)
Info:Coward-McCann, Inc w/Samuel French, Inc (1939), Edition: 1st Ed, Paperback, 117 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Plays

Our Town by Thornton Wilder (1938)

You would think that a three-act play about everyday life would be boring. It isn't. The techniques employed by Wilder makes it unique. Obviously, one must see the play. Reading it doesn't do it justice. An examination of humanity in all its foibles, prejudices and virtues. A hymn to the common American. Wonderful. ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |
When a friend had to read this for a class assignment, I decided to reread it. Actually, I'm not sure I ever read it before. I knew that the Stage Manager had the lead role, but I may have picked that up through osmosis.
Interesting play. Unconventional play. Worth reading, and I have it on good authority that there's a very good film of a live performance that JoAnne Woodward directed and her husband played the Stage Manager in. ( )
  dickmanikowski | Nov 5, 2013 |
This three act play depicts everyday and ordinary life in a small New Hampshire town called Grover's Corners between the years 1901 -1913. The Stage Manager narrates the story to the audience, as well as interacts with the actors. I remember seeing Thornton Wilder's play acted out on stage many years ago. It's a very easy-to-read text which all of a sudden surprises you with some really profound ideas. Ordinary life is actually quite extraordinary...As the stages of life are cycled through, the question is asked, "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? A book that offers something for younger (adult) readers and older alike; I think middle school and high school students would enjoy reading this aloud. ( )
1 vote YvetteKolstad | Apr 24, 2013 |
Yyyyyyyeahhhhh, so this is pretty much the play version of a Norman Rockwell painting, right? I mean...terribly sentimental and conservative and folksy? Is there something more in his other plays? I should have read Skin of our Teeth, I heard there was a dinosaur.

I can't remember anything I've read where I felt an author was trying this hard not to startle his audience. This is drama for the rest home.

Two stars instead of one because fine, I'm not heartless, there were some sweet moments. But yeesh...that don't make this no bullshit. Bring back Eugene O'Neill.

Never mind: one star instead of two because the more I think about this play, the more I hate it. ( )
  AlCracka | Apr 2, 2013 |
Set in the 1910s, the play Our Town, depicts a small town at the cusp of the industrial revolution. Wilder is innovative in his use of the stage manager as a character/narrator in the play, and little scenery. He also creates characters that have died but are still involved in the play as onlookers.

Whie it is not a wildly exciting play, there is definitely an important message in the everday acts of the characters. Life is short and we should do our utmost to truly enjoy it! This sentiment alone makes it an enduring classic applicable to modern life.

Another aspect of the play that is important to note is the time period in which it is set. The setting provides readers/viewers with a picture of life before America was transformed into an urban/industrial nation. As time goes by, one wonders if the heart of Amerian society still rests with the yeoman farmer of Thomas Jefferson's vision for the United States. The play reminds of us of some of the benefits of a small rural community. ( )
1 vote speedy74 | Feb 25, 2012 |
To Alexander Woollcott of Castleton Township, Rutland County, Vermont
This play is called "Our Town."
Emily: Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? - every, every minute?

Stage manager: No. (Pause) the saints and poets, maybe - they do some.

This short play seems simple at first, but is actually has a lot of depth to it. It is about the typical life in the small and quaint town of Grover's Courner, New Hampshire. The characters are very genuine. The main theme of the book asks what the purpose of life is; I think the message is to enjoy the life you have and to not waste it because it will be over before we know it. Don't take life for granted. Do something with your life. I loved reading this play because of its message and the particular way the play gets that message across.

Our Town was first produced and published in 1938 to wide acclaim. This Pulitzer Prize–winning drama of life in the town of Grover 's Corners, an allegorical representation of all life, has become a classic. It is Thornton Wilder's most renowned and most frequently performed play.

It is now reissued in this handsome hardcover edition, featuring a new Foreword by Donald Margulies, who writes, "You are holding in your hands a great American play. Possibly the great American play." In addition, Tappan Wilder has written an eye-opening new Afterword, which includes Thornton Wilder's unpublished notes and other illuminating photographs and documentary material.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:59 -0400)

This beautiful new edition features an eye-opening Afterword written by Tappan Wilder that includes Thornton Wilder's unpublished notes and other illuminating photographs and documentary material. Our Town was first produced and published in 1938 to wide acclaim. This Pulitzer Prize-winning drama of life in the small village of Grover's Corners, an allegorical representation of all life, has become a classic. It is Thornton Wilder's most renowned and most frequently performed play.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,640,388 books! | Top bar: Always visible