My Wicked, Wicked Ways by Errol Flynn

My Wicked, Wicked Ways (1959)

by Errol Flynn

A hero to millions who adored his portrayals of Robin Hood and Fletcher Christian, Errol Flynn (1909-59) lived a life that far surpassed any adventure he ever acted out on screen: exotic travels, criminal exploits, passionate love affairs, violent confrontations, scandals, and international fame.

I enjoyed his films but I can't say I like the man who showed himself in this autobiography. His view of women and the way he used them although he denies such in this book, I found very unpleasant. He married three times although he did not seem to put much effort in the relationships. The same can be said for his care of his children.

If the adventures he describes actually took place, Flynn led a very interesting life. From mining for gold and growing Copra in New Guinea to collecting indentured natives (read slaves) for gold mining, Flynn pushed the envelope. He describes the young native women he took as mistresses and usually never tells what happen to them when he moved on to another adventure.

The most interesting portion of the book for me was the Hollywood years of film making with the gossip about the people with whom he worked. The lack of photographs in this edition was a disappointment. ( )
  lamour | Apr 28, 2015 |
I've waited a few years to read this book. Was it worth the wait? Yes. Unlike any autobiography I've read before, you finish thinking you really know the person as if you'd hung around with him for awhile. I'm sure he was a very likeable guy, but he also would have been like that exasperating friend we've all had at some point in our lives. Tall tales, unbelievable claims, name dropping, one upmanship, etc., but you can't dislike him. You have to take this personality as it is. He is a fantastic writer, I'll give him that. Claims of self-education with well educated parents, emancipated minor who sets out on all sorts of adventure- it all comes out in a worldly bit of writing. Very enjoyable, though it does get tiring after a bit. Worth reading anyway. ( )
  Twikpet | Mar 29, 2013 |
A good read but not all that true in detail. ( )
  JayLivernois | Mar 4, 2013 |
A difficult man to like, hence a difficult biography to like. Some appalling behaviour coupled with acts of supreme generosity, and a somewhat introverted, intellectual side make the Great "Baron" of cinema a very complex man. The language at times is difficult to follow & the attitudes very 1950s, but those I would have expected. A great adventurous man who tried to live life to the full but ended up using, and abusing those around him, including those closest to him. He still dosen't, in middle age have anything like the emotional maturity that he needs to cope with his ever increasing list of dependents, or with the pressures of life. Unpleasant in parts, but very engaging in others. Not one I would read again, although the subject matter I may revisit with someone else's biography of the man ( )
  aadyer | Mar 22, 2011 |
Fun read. ( )
  Landman | Dec 22, 2009 |
TO

A SMALL

COMPANION
I particularly detest books that begin something like, 'Ah there was joy and happiness in the quaint Tasmanian home of Professor Flynn when the first bellowings of lusty little Errol were heard...' So, if you are interested, let's get down to the meat of the matter.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,169,614 books! | Top bar: Always visible