Prudence, Indeed by Anne Bernays

Prudence, Indeed

by Anne Bernays

411,664,912 (3)None
Recently added byHimalmitra, kylekatz, fneddy, Helene123

1966. Sophie marries a doctor, but he's a goy. Her mother is pretty unhappy about it. From the beginning Sophie and Nick have an intense sexual relationship. At first she pretty much worships him and tries to do everything his way. Eventually she realizes how self-absorbed he is, and how little he cares about her as a person. He seems to have her to cook and clean and fuck and possibly start a family with and to look good at parties.
Sophie is a child psychologist, but her love blinds her to all his faults for the first two years. She begins to have doubts about him. All the while, they're trying, but can't seem to get pregnant. Finally Sophie realizes that she doesn't want to live with Nick's nitpicking argumentativeness all her life. Tragically she then discovers she is pregnant. The end.
Well Written and I didn't foresee the ending. Good characters. Anne Bernays is something of a master at metaphor. I guess I didn't give it more stars because I was a little bored by the concept. You know, a bad marriage, like so many others. Not really my subject matter.
Oh, and the husband gets involved in the civil rights movement. He actually goes to the South to do sit-ins at lunch counters. But that part happens offstage, as the book is from her point of view. I think I would have liked to be in his head sometimes. I mean, I don't really understand him. He's not pure evil or anything. I think I'm supposed to believe he's extremely ambitious and only out to advance his career. Perhaps Bernays didn't quite sell it to me. ( )
  kylekatz | Apr 14, 2011 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,140,737 books! | Top bar: Always visible