The Black Book of Colors by Menena Cottin

The Black Book of Colors (2006)

by Menena Cottin

Other authors: Rosana Faría (Illustrator)

English (77)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (79)
This is such an enlightening book that aims to convey what it’s like to walk in another person’s shoes. Each black page describes a color using senses other than sight, such as taste, smell, touch, and sound. Each page also features Braille to accompany the text, as well as raised illustrations. This is such an eye-opening book that allows the reader to gain an understanding of what it would be like to have no sight. I also love how a Braille alphabet is included. This would be a great book for discussing disabilities and empathy with children. ( )
  MegWilliams | Apr 30, 2019 |
"The Black Book of Colors" shows the reality of blindness in children's book form. Though this book is about colors the entire book is in black. Braille accompanies all text within the book. I think my favorite part of the book though is the pictures which are indented into the pages so they can be felt but not seen well. I enjoyed the way the author made a description of what the color looked like based on feel. This book is incredible and I think would work better in a small group or when there is time for individual exploration of the book. ( )
  lsiben | Apr 30, 2019 |
This book is absolutely wonderful for people of all ages. It shows the perspective of someone blind and helped me to appreciate my senses and to get a feel for what it would be like without sight. The book is completely black with white words and each sentence also in braille. Each color in the book is described using senses. I love this book and think it is a great way to open a discussion about disabilities and is also a way to relate those who cannot see. ( )
  tejennin | Apr 26, 2019 |
This is a brilliant children's book but is applicable to anyone who would like to learn more and appreciate the perspective of a blind person. The text is written in both English and Braille. Each page is in pure black with the exception of the words and each picture is raised to help the sighted reader begin to understand the abstract concept of feeling your way through the world. As an educator, this is a great way to incorporate some exercises for students. For example, in my class we were paired with one blindfolded and one not and asked to walk one another down the hall and out of the building, then we would switch and the other would lead the way back inside. In addition, all the students were given a different bag with something edible inside. While blindfolded, each student had to describe what 'color' the item smelled like. It was pretty interesting to listen to what we all came up with. ( )
  JSkoros | Apr 20, 2019 |
I love this book. I love everything about it. The book is wonderful for students who are blind and also for all students. This book is amazing. ( )
  A.Bode | Apr 15, 2019 |

Menena Cottinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Faría, RosanaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Amado, ElisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas says that yellow tastes like mustard, but is as soft as a baby chick's feathers.

Living with the use of one's eyes can make imagining blindness difficult, but this innovative title invites readers to imagine living without sight through remarkable illustrations done with raised lines and descriptions of colors based on imagery. Braille letters accompany the illustrations and a full Braille alphabet offers sighted readers help reading along with their fingers. This extraordinary title gives young readers the ability to experience the world in a new way.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:06 -0400)

This title invites readers to imagine living without sight through remarkable illustrations done with raised lines and descriptions of colors based on imagery. Braille letters accompany the illustrations and a full Braille alphabet offers sighted readers help reading along with their fingers.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,694,730 books! | Top bar: Always visible