Isabel of the Whales by Hester Velmans

Isabel of the Whales

by Hester Velmans

This book I picked up in Baltimore when I realized that day that I would love the underwater world forever, whales particularly. I had no idea if the book would even interest me long enough, but I've must of re-read it a million time since then. The beautiful images of the author's new world made me feel that I lived through Isabel with her adventures. ( )
  writercity | Aug 13, 2014 |
This book is amazing! If you want to read a nice, cute and easy book, this is the book for you. ( )
  stephanie.dicesare.7 | Jun 25, 2014 |
I was attracted to this book ever since my days of working in the Children's section at a bookstore. One of the cover blurbs got to me, "Watch out Little Mermaid, her comes Isabel."

Isabel is an eleven-year-old girl that loves whales so much. Then one day she falls off a boat and gets to be one. She is considered a "mermaid" by the humpback whales (that call themselves "sirens"), which is a human that becomes a whale.

I recommend this book to an eleven-year-old girl that loves whales so much she wishes she was one. ( )
  leirali | Jun 7, 2010 |
Call me Isabel.

Isabel falls overboard and turns into a whale.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440420253, Paperback)

Eleven-year-old Isabel is a “plain old” girl living in Provincetown, Massachusetts, who believes that she is destined to accomplish something special. When her fifth-grade class goes on a whale-watch field trip, something amazing happens: Dozens of different species of whales surround the boat, bumping the deck and sending Isabel flying into the ocean. Isabel is shocked to hear the whales speaking to her—she is a mermaid, they tell her, a “Chosen One” who has the ability to turn from a human into a whale and back again. She is destined to live among the whales long enough to learn their ways, and teach them about the human world.

Living among her pod is fun, at first, but Isabel has an important mission. She will change the whales’ future forever, and learn a lot about herself in the process.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:56 -0400)

On a whale watch trip with her class off the coast of Cape Cod, Isabel, who has always had an affinity for whales, falls overboard and discovers as she finds herself swimming underwater with whales all around her that she is one of the Chosen who can change shape from human to whale and back again.… (more)

Hester Velmans is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

20 avail.3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,563,576 books! | Top bar: Always visible