The Last Exile by E.V. Seymour

The Last Exile (2008)

by E.V. Seymour

As a thriller, this was rather dull. Not badly written but just dull. ( )
  infjsarah | Jul 18, 2017 |
Trust No One used to be a favourite mantra in a previous life, so it gave me a bit of a smile to see that as the heading on the back cover of this book when it arrived.

This was one of those books that a few trusted reading compatriots had been discussing, so I thought I would buy a copy and see what I thought. This note is therefore a little less of a formal review and a little more of a memory jog for me, as I understand there is a subsequent book in the series (could be more by now I've not checked).

As the blurb says, Paul Tallis, in his role as an intelligence officer, shoots dead a suspected terrorist in an opening scene that is very reminiscent of the shooting of a suspect in the London Underground a while ago. In THE LAST EXILE, Tallis is suspended, and his career is dead, until a year later he is approached by a shadowy figure working for MI5.

This was one of those books that did a lot of setting up in the early part and it was a bit of a chore to stick with it until about one third in and things start to ramp up. Well worth sticking past the initial grind, this turned out to be a reasonably good thriller, with a nicely complex and flawed central character. ( )
  austcrimefiction | May 25, 2010 |

After acting on poor intelligence, officer Paul Tallis shoots a suspected terrorist in a Birmingham shopping centre. With his career over, Tallis leaves the elite firearms unit and is utterly disillusioned. A year later, Tallis is approached by a shadowy figure working for MI5.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,335,257 books! | Top bar: Always visible