All the Mowgli Stories by Rudyard Kipling

All the Mowgli Stories (1933)

by Rudyard Kipling

One of my favorite childhood books, it was one of the first hardcover books I bought other than series fiction, and I still revisit it from time to time. ( )
  Geyer | Feb 5, 2014 |
This book is difficult to assess. It is quite funny in parts and quite exciting in parts and the character of Mowgli captures the imagination. The very last story was the very first one written and is the worst. The way some animals are just by nature better than others is jarring (what's wrong with having hair between your toes, like a hobbit or a dhole?) Some of the bloodthirstiness is just pointless and so many of these jungle laws are meaningless.

The new word is reboisement, but it means what it looks like it means and it's only there because the forest officer was educated in Nancy (a French city). ( )
  themulhern | Jun 18, 2013 |
9/5/10-ETA This remains my desert island book.
*****
Practically perfect. I think that everyone should read these stories, here collected independent of the First & Second Jungle Books and including In The Rukh, a coda that tells us how Mowgli grew up. I first read these as a little girl, and if I am being completely honest, must confess that the Disney movie led me to them. These stories tower over and transcend the movie in every way, and stay quite firmly on my short list of very favorites year after year. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |

Rudyard Kiplingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Powers, Richard M.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
these are selected stories from from both "Jungle Books".

If your book is a Junior Deluxe Edition, it has a different set of stories and should be combined with the proper work. Ask for help in the Combiners! group.

Works with an ISBN are not Junior Deluxe Editions.

Contains: Mowgli's brothers -- Hunting song of the Seeonee Pack -- Kaa's hunting -- Road song of the bandard-log -- How fear came -- The law of the jungle -- "Tiger-Tiger!" -- Mowglie's song -- Letting in the jungle -- Mowglie's song against people -- The king's ankus -- THe song of the little hunter - Red dog -- Chil's song -- The spring running -- The outsong -- "Rikki-tikki-tavi" -- Darzee's chant.

, 271 pages, with 8 coloured plates and numerous line illustrations in the text

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:18 -0400)

Presents three adventures of Mowgli, the boy reared by a pack of wolves in an Indian jungle, including "Mowgli's brothers," Kaa's hunting," and "Tiger! Tiger!"

Legacy Library: Rudyard Kipling

Rudyard Kipling has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Rudyard Kipling's legacy profile.

See Rudyard Kipling's author page.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,003,354 books! | Top bar: Always visible