Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, Volume 1 by…

i usually like Erikson's sense of humour, and a lighter spinoff from the Malazan novels should be welcome. but this set is more slapstick than dry, and it reads more like juvenilia, the kind of stuff you drag out from under the bed when the publisher demands more and you're otherwise engaged. ( )
  macha | May 4, 2017 |
Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, along with Emancipor Reese, are almost side characters in each story, just giving a little push here and there to influence things. I found this amusing. And just when things are getting tense, Erikson inserts some humor. Albeit, dark and twisted humor, but I like that kind anyway. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I had never read any of the books in the Malazan Empire series by Steven Erikson, but I was intrigued by the heroes / anti-heroes of these 3 novellas. And Erikson didn't disappoint me. Korbal Broach is rather Psychotic, while Bauchelain is a necromancer that I would give my life to NEVER, EVER meet. But at the same time, these two thoroughly evil men (along with manservant Emanciapator Reese) are just so interesting to read about and besides, one is never "quite" sure that those whom they are fighting against aren't actually "more" evil than our two necromantic heroes are.

A fun read, though Bauchelain and Broach are a great fit to the short story genre, I am not sure that a full length novel would be a good fit, the conceit might wear on the reader. But I really do look forward to reading more of the adventures of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach (along with their hapless and yet also "helpful" manservant Emanciapator Reese). ( )
  ThothJ | Dec 4, 2015 |

ThothJ | Dec 3, 2015 |

ThothJ | Dec 3, 2015 |

Steven Eriksonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Barclay, JamesIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Donaldson, Stephen R.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Keaney, PaulIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
With love I dedicate this collection to my son, Bowen-Thomas-Lundin.
The bells pealed across the lamentable city of Moll, clamouring along the crooked narrow alleys, buffeting the dawn-risers hurridly laying out their wares in the market rounds.

Set in the awe-inspiring world of the Malazan Empire, here are three tall tales of the enigmatic and eccentric necromancers Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, and their unfortunate manservant Emancipor Reese.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,776,940 books! | Top bar: Always visible