Just in case by Kathy Harrison

Just in case

by Kathy Harrison

In Aesop’s fable of the Ant and the Grasshopper, the Ants dutifully prepare while the Grasshopper fiddles away. He scoffs at the Ants, pointing out that food is plentiful and they should have fun while they can. When winter hits, the Grasshopper would have died if it weren’t for the help of the ants. In Kathy Harrison’s Just in Case, we are reminded that a little organization, preparation, and planning can keep our families safe and comfortable when something happens.
Rather than scare us with the ideas that the sky is falling and no one can help up, Kathy Harrison assures her readers that yes, sometimes bad things happen, but not only can you and your family survive, but you can be comfortable, happy, and good neighbors to others. Whether the issue is a rolling blackout because of an overstressed power grid, a harder winter than expected, or even an injury that can leave a family member unable to go grocery shopping for a few weeks, we should know that something CAN and probably WILL happen. It isn’t insane paranoia to plan to keep one’s family comfortable any more than health and car insurance are paranoia.
Though she is far more self-sufficient than most of us will ever be, she assures us that thriving in a snow storm, a flood, or rolling blackouts is within the average family's grasp. Rather than panicking every time we hear a warning and running to Walmart to buy them out of bottled water and canned foods, she give the reader a flexible but clear method for stocking up a home and getting the whole family involved. She reminds us throughout to be one of the good guys--not hording those last-minute emergency supplies and sharing if possible with some of our less-prepared neighbors.

This is a wonderful handbook for any house than needs suggestions on how to make a 72-hour kit, to make sure the kids don't freak out in emergencies, and to keep a family together, safe, comfortable, and well-fed in any kind of emergency. She isn't telling us how to skin animals or set traps or survive in the brush. Use survival manuals for that. She is showing us how to avoid having to stay in emergency shelters or to need FEMA every time Mother Earth goes a little crazy. This book had the added benefit over many other preparedness guides I’ve seen in giving clear ways to involve the kids in planning, preparation, and preparedness. After reading this, I actually felt like I could do those little things you’re supposed to do with the kids without scaring them—my son can now dial 911 for the police, firemen, or doctors. Next step—fire drills. ( )
  kaelirenee | Oct 9, 2009 |
Great comprehensive guide to being prepared and self-sufficient to weather any emergency.
  mochap | Nov 8, 2008 |

Just in case disaster strikes, you need a plan to ensure your family's safety and comfort in all eventualities. What would you do if the power went out for several days in a row? Or if your family had to quickly evacuate the area? Kathy Harrison shows you how to set up a simple home system--covering food storage, alternative heating sources, toiletries and clothing, pet supplies, emergency communication plans, and more--that will allow your household to survive comfortably for several days, or longer, with no outside services at all. Harrison also explains how to create a detailed evacuation plan--where to go, how to meet up with other family members, what to pack, and how to protect what you leave behind. Keep a cool head and plan well; your family will be able to settle in together, stay warm, and eat well when the unexpected happens.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,111,883 books! | Top bar: Always visible