A Place of Execution by Val McDermid

A Place of Execution (original 1999; edition 2001)

by Val McDermid

Member:mckmueller
Title:A Place of Execution
Authors:Val McDermid
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (2001), Mass Market Paperback
Tags:slow, scholarly, academic setting, couples

A Place of Execution by Val McDermid (1999)

English (24)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (28)
READ IN DUTCH

My first book from Val McDermid and it didn't disappoint me. I had seen the series with Tony Hill, but this isn't one of them.
I liked to see into one village so closed to strangers, I couldn't even believe there are actually places where people still live like that. I liked the plot, but sometimes it was a little bit slow and taking the speed out of it, which didn't make it easy to continue reading. It also had the doom to be my Holidaybook, and as I don't seem to be able to read whenever I'm on holiday, this might not have helped either. ( )
  Floratina | Jan 23, 2014 |
For me this is Val McDermid at her best; she is in the Peak District around Manchester in 1963 and then in 1998. She is comfortable with the location and her characters. This is a book of twists and turns that takes the reader through various emotional discoveries and it is good stuff. The novel is written from the point of view of a journalist who is writing an account in 1998 of the murder of a 13 year old girl in an isolated village near Buxton in 1963; the journalist spends a lot of time interviewing the police officer who was in charge of the case and putting together her book while living in nearby Longnor. ( )
  Tifi | Jan 19, 2014 |
British outback incest & murder; Scarsdale over time
Edgar Award

11.02
  aletheia21 | Oct 13, 2013 |
There are often novels that are about old convictions that are bought into question because of new information and the story is about unraveling the truth. This is that sort of story but in reverse. We start with a crime, the disappearance of 13 year old Alison Carter, and follow it through to the end of the investigation and subsequent court case. We then jump 35 years where the truth about what really happened is revealed.

The only thing I can say against this novel is that is long and perhaps a bit too wordy. Otherwise, it's a good read. ( )
  Balthazar-Lawson | Jun 27, 2013 |
This is a great mystery. I thought I figured it out but there were still some details that I missed. McDermit is a great writer. You get engrossed in the books right away. I recommend this one very highly. Then you will be a fan like me. ( )
  LB121100 | Jun 8, 2013 |

Page, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Styron, Dorissecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sylvester, Varisecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
van der Struys, WouterCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You shall be taken to the place from whence you came, and thence to a place of lawful execution, and there you shall be hanged by the neck until you be dead, and afterwards your body shall be buried in a common grave within the precints of the prison wherein you were last confined before your execution; and may the Lord have mercy on your soul.
-- The formal death sentence of the English legal system.
Le Pendu: The Hanged Man

Divinatory meaning: The card suggests life in suspension. Reversal of mind and one's way of life. Transition. Abandonment. Renunciation. The changing of life's forces. Readjustment. Regeneration. Rebirth. Improvement. Efforts and sacrifice may have to be undertaken to succeed towards a goal which may not be reached.

Tarot Cards for Fun and Fortune Telling

S. R. Kaplan
To my evil twin; laissez les bon temps rouler, cher.
Like Alison Carter, I was born in Derbyshire in 1950.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312979533, Mass Market Paperback)

Penzler Pick, August 2000: Val McDermid, better known in England than in the U.S., is a well respected writer of crime fiction. Her three ongoing mystery series feature red-haired PI Kate Brannigan; Lindsay Gordon, a lesbian socialist journalist, and Tony Hill and Carol Jordan, clinical psychologist and detective inspector respectively. A Place of Execution is McDermid's first stand-alone mystery, and with it, she redefines the term "village mystery."

It is 1963, the Beatles are becoming wildly popular in England, and the Swinging Sixties are about to change the post-war Western world. But in the village of Scardale in the Peaks District of Derbyshire, a desolate area beloved of hikers and climbers, nothing has changed for hundreds of years. The village has remained small and insular--most villagers are related, and the most common second names are Carter and Lomas. When Alison Carter, aged 13, disappears while walking her dog, the case is given to a young detective inspector named George Bennett. As Bennett gets to know the families in the village and their concerns, he realizes that this case is not as simple as it first seems. The villagers seem to be closing ranks, and Bennett suspects they may be protecting one of their own. Central to his investigation are Alison's mother and her husband. When Ruth Carter remarried, she chose Philip Hawkin, an outsider who is now the current squire of the village. As Alison's stepfather, he raises all kinds of red flags for Bennett. But so does Alison's close relationship with her cousin Charlie who, too conveniently, it seems, finds a vital clue.

All this is complicated by the fact that the police and the villagers cannot find Alison's body; there are also other disappearances in the area which may or may not be connected. To reveal more about this riveting mystery would be to give too much away. McDermid takes the reader through a maze of conflicting facts and theories, and when Bennett, with the help of local police, solves the case, the real story is only just beginning--especially for Bennett, who will question not only his own part in solving this case, but ultimately the profession he has chosen. --Otto Penzler

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:59 -0400)

Winter 1963: two children have disappeared in Manchester; the murderous careers of Myra Hindley and Ian Brady have begun. On a freezing day in December, another child goes missing: 13-year-old Alison Carter vanishes from the isolated Derbyshire hamlet of Scardale. For the young George Bennett it is the beginning of his most difficult and harrowing case: a murder with no body, an investigation with more dead ends and closed faces than he'd have found in the inner city; an outcome that reverberates down the years. Decades later he tells his story to journalist Catherine Heathcote, but just when her book is poised for publication, Bennett tries to pull the plug. He has new information that he will not divulge, and that threatens the very foundation of his existence. Catherine is forced to reinvestigate the past, with results that turn the world upside down. A taut psychological thriller that explores, exposes and explodes the border between reality and illusion in a multilayered narrative that turns expectations on their head and reminds us that what we know is what we do not know...… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,326,999 books! | Top bar: Always visible