After the Funeral by Agatha Christie

After the Funeral (original 1953; edition 1975)

by Agatha Christie

Member:konallis
Title:After the Funeral
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Fontana (1975), Paperback
Tags:crime fiction

After the Funeral by Agatha Christie (1953)

English (30)  German (2)  Danish (2)  Norwegian (1)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  All (38)
Another great Christie mystery that kept me guessing until the end. ( )
  kaitanya64 | Jan 3, 2017 |
Richard Abernethie suddenly dies. His family come together for his funeral. At the funeral luncheon his sister Cora asks “He was murdered wasn’t he”. All of his relatives and his lawyer Mr. Entwhistle are shocked and uneasy at the remark.

Cora as a young girl was always known as telling the unpleasant truths. Bearing this in mind Mr. Entwhistle determines he is going to visit Cora and learn why she said that about his old friend and client. But before he can see her, he is contacted by one of his partners and informed that Cora has been murdered in her home in Lytchett St. Mary.

Mr. Entwhistle goes to visit his old friend Hercule Poirot, the famous detective, to engage him to discover the truth of Richard’s death and the murder of Cora.

I love Agatha Christie, I think the first time I read one of her mysteries I was about 12 years old and I fell in love with her writing. This is one of her later novels but it is still characterized by a twisting plot, lots of clues, fully developed characters that she created so visually for me to see, but most of all with a sly sense of humor. ( )
  Bettesbooks | Jan 1, 2017 |
Meh. She's done better. The one aspect I did enjoy is the emphasis on nostalgia and, of course, the country house. ( )
  Sareene | Oct 22, 2016 |
This is definitely one of those books that make you think you know who did it, but eventually it was the person no body thought about. I think of myself as an Agatha Christie fan, but this was only my third book from her. It's not the kind of book you can quote, but it's belongs to the mystery/crime genre which I'm very passionate about. All I can say, it's that the book belongs to the top of it's genre, like all of Christie's other books, I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, but to a specific section of readers. As it is set somewhere in the 1950s (as far as I know), it also provides the reader a portion of English history, which includes racism and woman inequality. I like learning more about history and I didn't mind it, but if you would, that I suggest you shouldn't read it. ( )
  bookstraveller | May 31, 2016 |
After the Funeral – A. Christie
Audio performance by Hugh Fraser

4 stars

Hercule Poirot and an ax murderer! What could be better?

The story begins as a post WW2 country house mystery. Along with the loss of lives, it is clear that a way of life is also coming to an end amid the financial woes of a once wealthy family. After the funeral, the not-so-grieving relatives gather like the vultures they are, for a reading of the will. After the ax murder, Poirot appears in the guise of a prospective buyer of the family pile. Poirot has a rather long conversation with the old butler regarding, England, the war, refugees and the end of the golden age of country estates. Agatha Christie creates atmosphere along with a bit of social commentary.

I liked the butler. I was glad he didn’t do it.
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |

Hannah, SophieIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Houm, LiseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kalkofe, OliverSprechersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kovács György,Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Laurel, FaithCover artist and designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McBean, AngusAuthor photographsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Molino, C. Peraire delTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pöhlmann, JanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peraire del Molino, C.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Riambau, EsteveTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rojkowska, AnnaTł.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Volpatti, LiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For James: In memory of happy days at Abney
Old Lanscombe moved totteringly from room to room, pulling up the blinds.
aka Funerals Are Fatal. Although the book on which it is based featured Hercule Poirot as the detective, the movie Murder at the Gallop featured Margaret Rutherford as Miss Jane Marple.

Surprise announcement
followed by brutal murder:
Poirot asks questions.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425173909, Mass Market Paperback)

The Queen of Crime at her murderously clever best. After the reading of a will, one female relative is banished from the family tree-with eight blows of a hatchet. Poirot believes she won't be the last to go.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:26 -0400)

Detective Hercule Poirot searches for the hatchet-wielding killer of Cora Lansquenet, who was brutally silenced after suspecting that her wealthy brother's death was not due to natural causes.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,420,981 books! | Top bar: Always visible