Bad Girls by Jacqueline Wilson

Bad Girls (1996)

by Jacqueline Wilson

So, when I was growing up in the 90's, like most kids as well as Take That tapes and my Walkman I had some Jaqueline Wilson books. This was one of them. When browing in a charity shop today I came across it and, well, I couldn't help myself.

I'm glad to say this this is one of my beloved childhood books I can pick up now and still enjoy! It's the story of a quiet, unsure girl who is bullied at school for not being gown up enough. She makes friends with an older, cooler girl but things go wrong. Of course, Mandy becomes more confident and learns to stan up for herself etc. and all those good happy ending morals we NEED in children's books. It's a sweet story about friendship and trust and helping people. And it's still cute to read after puberty. ( )
  TPauSilver | Jul 14, 2010 |
Mandy is treat like a baby by her parents and bullied by Kim,Melanie and Sarah. But over the road lives a woman who has fostered lots of babies and fourteen year-old Tanya who is very cool. But although they both get happier Mandy is soon shocked to discover that Tanya is a shoplift. Suddenly both their lives take a tumble for the worst. ( )
1 vote Simred258 | Feb 20, 2008 |
Mandy thinks that all her problems are solved when she meets Tanya...But they are only just beginning. ( )
  Susie_Salmon | Apr 7, 2007 |
They were going to get me. I saw them the moment I turned the corner. They were halfway down, waiting near the bus stop. Melanie, Sarah and Kim. Kim, the worst one of all.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440867622, Paperback)

Mandy White hates looking 8 years old when she's really 10. She's tired of her babyish blond braids, her bunny sweaters, and her fussy older mother who won't let her cut her hair or buy cool clothes. But most of all, Mandy's had it with being her same old boring self. "I just wanted to stop being me. I wanted to grow up a whole new person, not Mandy White." To make matters worse, Mandy is constantly reminded of her shortcomings by beautiful, raven-haired Kim, the school bully. "Girls like Kim never wear glasses or braces.... They never have a silly haircut. They never wear stupid baby clothes.... You can't tease girls like Kim. There's nothing to tease her about." Then Mandy meets Tanya, the wild foster kid from next door. Tanya is 14, dyes her hair bright orange, wears "great clacky high heels" with every outfit, and fears nothing. With Tanya at her side, Mandy feels like she could face an army of Kims. But will Mandy ever learn how to get in touch with her own inner "bad girl" so she can face down Kim once and for all?

British author Jacqueline Wilson has perfectly captured the voice and musings of a 10-year-old in transition. Her discussion of issues like bullying and foster care is leavened with humor and sensitivity, without seeming condescending or message-laden. Mandy White joins the ranks of Amber Brown and Anastasia Krupnik as a realistic and honest heroine for girls in their "tween" years. (Ages 9 to 12) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:32 -0400)

Ten-year-old Mandy must endure torment from three nasty bullies in school, but she finds solace in a new friendship with an older girl.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,795,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible