Ashes to Ashes by Tami Hoag

Ashes to Ashes (original 1999; edition 1999)

by Tami Hoag

Member:mickeycat
Title:Ashes to Ashes
Authors:Tami Hoag
Info:Bantam (1999), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 496 pages
Rating:***

Ashes to Ashes by Tami Hoag (1999)

English (13)  Spanish (1)  All languages (14)
Excellently terrifying story. Tami Hoag is an amazing mystery/thriller author. ( )
  carfor12 | Jan 10, 2014 |
Ashes to Ashes
2 Stars

Synopsis
A killer known only as The Cremator tortures his victims and sets them on fire. Victims advocate Kate Conlon is called in to help a reluctant witness to the latest murder. However, things are not at they seem and Kate, together with FBI profiler John Quinn ,must get to the truth before Kate becomes the next victim.

Review
The book is 200 pages too long.

The serial killer plot has potential but becomes bogged down with the characters internal dialogue that is repetitious and tedious.

It is difficult to warm up to the main characters and their romance lacks chemistry - by the time they get over their angst, you don't care anymore. Kate comes across as cold and distant and John's burn out symptoms overshadow his profiling abilities.

There is too much focus on the various characters' emotional baggage and their constant internal ruminations really detract from the murder mystery and investigation.

No more for me in this series but will give the author another chance. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Apr 2, 2013 |
* Inherited from Mum's shelves.
  velvetink | Mar 31, 2013 |
A little slow to start, but by about three chapters in I was going out of my way to carve out time to read this book. Like other Tami Hoag books, the violence and graphic nature of this was pretty intense. Definitely NOT a book to read right before bed.

I was surprised at the poignancy of the main character's (Kate Conlan) backstory. I'm not sure why -- maybe because most thrillers of this type tend to have haunted characters, but from things they've seen on the job rather than more personal life events. Maybe also because I associate Tami Hoag more with the graphic nature of things both in terms of the violence and the, um, romantic aspects of the story. But this book made it clear to me that I've underestimated her a bit. I'll definitely be moving her up to the top of my TBR lists as a result. ( )
  jendoyle2000 | Sep 7, 2012 |
This is the third book I have read by the author (along with A Thin Dark Line and Still Waters.) I had some trouble believing some of the characters in this one. It is my least favorite of the three but still enjoyable. It kept me guessing until the very end. ( )
  Rhyla | Jul 22, 2011 |

Tami Hoagprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Niroma, AnuTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Some killers are born.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553579606, Mass Market Paperback)

Some doctoral candidate is doubtless hard at work as you read this, trying to explain why and how the serial killer suddenly became every thriller writer's favorite subject. Meanwhile, the irrepressible Tami Hoag shows us in her latest sure-to-be-a-bestseller how the theme should be handled--with sensitivity, wit, and enough energy to heat a small city.

A monster known as the Cremator is killing prostitutes in Minneapolis parks and setting their bodies on fire. When one of his victims turns out to be the daughter of a local billionaire, and a homeless teenager claims to have witnessed the burning, it brings together former FBI agent Kate Conlan (now working as a victim-witness advocate) and the Bureau's top serial-killer profiler, John Quinn. Conlan and Quinn share a painful personal history; now they have to work together against a very smart lunatic who seems to be able to read their minds.

Although none of this is actually groundbreaking material, Hoag leaps into her story as if she were the very first writer to have thought of it. Guess what? Her innocence and verve are contagious. We throw skepticism to the winds and gladly go along for the thrilling and romantic ride, just as we did in other Hoag hits such as Cry Wolf, Dark Paradise, Guilty As Sin, Lucky's Lady, Magic, Night Sins, Still Waters, and A Thin Dark Line--all available in paperback. --Dick Adler

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:05 -0400)

As a serial killer known as The Cremator terrifies the city, witness advocate Kate Conlan must cope with a homeless teenage witness with a hidden agenda, a legendary FBI profiler, and a powerful businessman whose estranged daughter may have been a victim of the predator.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,601,119 books! | Top bar: Always visible