Bloodstream by Tess Gerritsen

Bloodstream (original 1998; edition 1999)

by Tess Gerritsen

Member:jcberk
Title:Bloodstream
Authors:Tess Gerritsen
Info:Pocket (1999), Mass Market Paperback, 512 pages

Bloodstream by Tess Gerritsen (1998)

English (27)  Dutch (5)  All languages (32)
This book has a storyline straight out of a Stephen King novel, about a small lakeside town with an unexplained eruption of violence from local teenagers. Dr. Claire Elliot, a newcomer to the town, is at the center of the controversy and soon discovers that this isn't a new thing for the town. There's a history of unexplained violence ... dating back several hundred years! The love story feels a bit superfluous, and the ending is very rushed - but I still enjoyed the book. Its a fun and thrilling chronicle of murdering madness in a small town. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
READ IN DUTCH

This is one Tess Gerritsen earlier work, not part of her Rizzoli and Isles series.

A lot happens in this book, but it wasn't very easy for me to connect to the story. I wanted to really like this book (as I know a lot of Tess Gerritsen fans), and I thought it started of great, with a high level of creepiness.

But then, the story lost me a bit. There's something going on, indeed, and every five pages, there's another explanation for it. I understand that you want to distract the reader and keep him/her guessing on what exactly happens next, but if you spell literally every option out for me, I tend to get a bit annoyed.

It was however an enjoyable read. ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
Widow Claire moves to Tranquility, Maine, with her teenage son, Noah. Noah was hanging out with a bad crowd in the city and getting into trouble with the law, so she hopes the change to small-town life will be beneficial to him. She has also set up a practice as the new town doctor. Claire and Noah are still adjusting to their new life months later. Then when November and the cold weather rolls around, there is suddenly a rash of violent and deadly behavior among the teenagers in town. Claire begins to question her decision in making this move to what seemed like a peaceful town by the lake. What is the cause of this violent behavior in the town's teenagers, and does the answer lie within the waters of Locust Lake?

This was a terrific medical suspense/thriller. A real page-turner. I really enjoyed the medical aspect of the story. All of the characters, including the supporting ones, I found really interesting. I liked that the story was told from many points of view and not just that of the main characters. There was some romance between Claire and Police Chief Lincoln Kelly, but the story was mostly driven by the suspense. The book was chilling, grim, entertaining, and a very engrossing read that I couldn't wait to find out what would happen next and how it would all end. ( )
  PaulaLT | Jan 18, 2016 |
I enjoyed this. I have the audible version and listened to it while I was driving from NYC to Maryland. I had to sit in the car for about 20 minutes after I arrived so that I could hear the end! ( )
  ericastinson | Mar 26, 2015 |
Bloodstream has an interesting enough premise. Dr. Claire Elliot is a small town doctor who relocates to rural Maine with her son, Noah to shield him from big city violence. All is well in the town of Tranquility until one of Claire’s patients, a teen boy snaps in a very violent act. This is the first of many violent acts that the young people of Tranquility start to perpetrate. Claire investigates the situation and discovers that this sort of thing happens in Tranquility about twice a century, convincing her that this isn’t random, and something biological in nature is responsible.

Unfortunately the novel doesn’t live up to the billing. The plot has massive holes and towards the ends starts to devolve into something implausible and not particularly interesting. The writing is not up to par with other of Gerritsen’s work. This is one that I would recommend staying away from.

Carl Alves – author of Blood Street ( )
  Carl_Alves | Aug 30, 2014 |
Het is weer begonnen...
To Tim and Elyse
If she was still enough, quiet enough, he would not find her.

In April came the rains. In August came the heat. In November came the horror. It's paying a return visit. Lapped by the gentle waters of Locust Lake, the small resort town of Tranquility, Maine, seems like the perfect spot for Dr Claire Elliot to shelter her adolescent son, Noah, from the temptations of the big city and the lingering memory of his father's death. And she's hopeful that she can earn the trust of the town as she builds a new practice. But all her plans unravel with the onset of winter when a rash of teenage violence, far more deadly than anything she'd encountered in the city, erupts in the local school. As she tries to find a medical explanation for this murderous epidemic, Claire stumbles upon an insidious evil which has blighted the town's past and threatens its future. Fearful that Noah, too, is at risk, she must race to prove her theory before everything she loves is destroyed.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671016768, Mass Market Paperback)

With her acclaimed novels Harvest and Life Support, Tess Gerritsen has injected a powerful dose of adrenaline into the medical thriller. Now, in a new blockbuster, Gerritsen melds page-turning suspense with chilling realism as a small-town doctor races to unravel the roots of a violent outbreak -- before it destroys everything she loves.

Lapped by he gentle waters of Locust Lake, the small resort town of Tranquility, Maine, seems like the perfect spot for Dr. Claire Elliot to shelter her adolescent son, Noah, from the distractions of the big city and the lingering memory of his father's death. But with the first snap of winter comes shocking news that puts her practise on the line: a teenage boy under her care has committed an appalling act of violence. And as Claire and all of Tranquility soon discover, it is just the start of a chain of lethal outbursts among the town's teenagers.

As the rash of disturbing behavior grows, Claire uncovers a horrifying secret: this is not the first time it has happened. Twice a century,the children of Tranquility lash out with deadly violence. Claire suspects that there is a biological cause for the epidemic, and she fears that the placid Locust Lake may conceal an insidious danger. As she races to save Tranquility -- and her son -- from harm, Claire discovers an even greater threat: a shocking conspiracy to manipulate nature, and turn innocents to slaughter.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:49 -0400)

Dr. Claire Elliot, having moved from the city with her son to set up practice in Tranquility, Maine, is looking forward to a peaceful life, but when the town's teenagers start committing violent acts, Claire knows she has to find the cause before it ruins Tranquility and her family.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,922,705 books! | Top bar: Always visible