Bronx Masquerade by Nikki Grimes

Bronx Masquerade

by Nikki Grimes

Bronx Masquerade is a well written book. It allows the readers to relate to the characters emotionally. If you compare these people and don't have trouble relating to the book, you will have a wonderful time reading. If you think you shouldn't read it because it is a small book, think again, it has a great story. ( )
  Dan2015 | Sep 22, 2015 |
What once started out as just reading poems, has changed into something sort of symbolic in Mr.Ward's class. Tyrone Bittings, has accepted the fact that he won't have a future by living in the Bronx, so he has decided to focus on the present, even though he has a dream to become a rapper. He has decided to seize the opportunity by writing down poems, along with his 17 classmates. As they keep on writing poetry, they open up and get to know to each other in a way that will unite them for the greater good.
  m.belen.reyes | Sep 22, 2015 |
Winner of the Coretta Scott King Award, Bronx Masquerade by Nikki Grimes is a outstanding book. The book has a great amount of characters from all different backgrounds that are brought together. Bronx Masquerade, pulls the emotions of the reader. Bronx Masquerade is great.
  vramage | Sep 22, 2015 |
The book was a great way to show how many other people think about the world and how some people are depressed and how hard their life is and they wine about their life. ( )
  manny2013 | Sep 22, 2015 |
I thought it was a good book. People in school write poems a lot in this story. Students show their feelings in these poems. Students also write about any problems or details about their life in the story. ( )
  Devin-Hall | Sep 22, 2015 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142501891, Mass Market Paperback)

Open Mike Friday is everyone's favorite day in Mr. Ward's English class. On Fridays, his 18 high-school students dare to relax long enough to let slip the poets, painters, readers, and dreamers that exist within each of them. Raul Ramirez, the self-described "next Diego Rivera," longs "to show the beauty of our people, that we are not all banditos like they show on TV, munching cuchfritos and sipping beer through chipped teeth." And while angry Tyrone Bittings finds dubious comfort in denying hope: "Life is cold. Future?...wish there was some future to talk about. I could use me some future," overweight Janelle Battle hopes to be seen for what she really is: "for I am coconut / and the heart of me / is sweeter / than you know" They are all here: the tall girl, the tough-talking rapper, the jock, the beauty queen, the teenage mom, the artist, and many more. While it may sound like another Breakfast Club rehash, Grimes uses both poetry and revealing first-person prose to give each character a distinct voice. By book's end, all the voices have blended seamlessly into a multicultural chorus laden with a message that is probably summed up best by pretty girl Tanisha Scott's comment, "I am not a skin color or a hank of wavy hair. I am a person, and if they don't get that, it's their problem, not mine." But no teen reader will have a problem with this lyrical mix of many-hued views. (Ages 12 and older) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:24 -0400)

While studying the Harlem Renaissance, students at a Bronx high school read aloud poems they've written, revealing their innermost thoughts and fears to their formerly clueless classmates.

8 wanted3 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,886,703 books! | Top bar: Always visible