Final jeopardy by Linda A. Fairstein

Final jeopardy (original 1994; edition 1996)

by Linda A. Fairstein

Member:sjmccreary
Title:Final jeopardy
Authors:Linda A. Fairstein
Info:New York : Scribner, 1996.
Tags:LT, fiction, mystery, NYC, New York, sex crimes, district attorney, Martha's vineyard, Massachusetts

Final Jeopardy by Linda Fairstein (1994)

Alex Cooper, Mercer and Mike in the 1st book in the series. I really enjoyed this book even though I've read them out of order this one can stand alone. Alex lets her movie star friend use her home on Martha's Vineyard and is murdered. Shortly, the investigation focus's on Alex's cheating boyfriend. ( )
  Kathy89 | Feb 21, 2014 |
Good story about a New York prosecutor of rape cases who gets embroiled in a murder. Very believable though the ending wasn't awesome. Definitely would read another one. ( )
  afarrington | Jul 19, 2013 |
Not the best suspense novel I have read. It was very formula orientated ( )
  Fairydragonstar | Mar 30, 2013 |
I thought, as a Law and Order SVU fan, this might be something I might like (except in book format). Well, it was all right at first. I liked Alexandra. A very strong willed character, although she had her girlie moments, she wasn’t a stone cold woman of ice either. That was good. Her friendship with Mike Chapman was really fun to read. Chapman made the story more interesting with his sense of humor. His jabs towards Alexandra (and vice versa) were fun to read.

The plot was all right. It wasn’t really that exciting. The only twist was who Isabella’s male companion was, but it wasn’t that shocking or revealing. However, I’m glad Alexandra didn’t mope about and became dramatic diva over that moment. I do like seeing her all up in a temper though - that was really entertaining to watch.

So, the plot was rather mediocre, and although I did like the characters, it wasn’t enough to make me fully enjoy the book. What rather killed it for me was, it was rather dry. So dry, it took me a while to finish a book that only had 336 pages. Oh boy, did it ever drag. On top of that, Alexandra also handles many other cases and it’s all mixed in with the main case featuring Isabella. Now although this is realistic, to me it felt like it was added to fill in pages of the book. It wasn’t exciting, it didn’t particularly interest me, and there were many minor characters added you could not keep track without at least back tracking to figure out which case she’s talking about now. It came to the point where I skimmed through most of the last third of the book, read the grand climax (which wasn’t that great in the first place) and then I was done.

I was just curious what was so great about these series and I just wanted to see how it was like. I realize this is the first book so of course, perhaps books after this one are better. Yet, I’m not sure if I’m going to get the second book. If it’s like this one, I will pass. This might not be for everyone, but those that are into legal thrillers are welcome to try and see for yourselves. ( )
  sensitivemuse | Mar 5, 2012 |
Whilst there is a murder story nevertheless the majority of the book is about sex crimes against women. Very knowledgeable author but not my kind of book. ( )
  gilly1944 | Jul 29, 2011 |
For Esther Newberg and Justin Feldman, Believers
I sat on my living room sofa at five o'clock in the morning with a copy of the mock-up of the day's New York Post in my hand, looking at my own obituary.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671010123, Mass Market Paperback)

This critically acclaimed, explosive thriller is a book only prosecutor Linda Fairstein could write. Patricia Cornwall knows the morgue; John Grisham knows the courtroom; but no one knows the inner workings of the D.A.'s office like Linda Fairstein, renowned for two decades as head of Manhattan Sex Crimes Unit. Now that world comes vividly to life in a brilliant debut novel of shocking realism, powerful insight, and searing suspense.

Alexandra Cooper, Manhattan's top sex crimes prosecutor, awakens one morning to shoking news: a tabloid headline announcing her own brutal murder. But the actual victim was Isabella Lascar, the Hollywood film star who sought refuge at Alex's Martha's Vineyard retreat. Was Isabella targeted by a stalker or -- mistaken for Alex -- was she in the wrong place at the wrong time? In an investigation that twists from the back alleys of lower Manhattan to the chic salons of the Upper East Side. Alex knows she'sin final jeopardy...and time is running out. She has to get into the killer's head before the killer gets to her.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:50 -0400)

Alexandra Cooper, assistant district attorney in charge of Manhattan's sex crime prosecution, takes on the murder of movie star Isabella Lascar in Alexandra's summer home and someone from her high-profile past who may have intended to kill Alexandra.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,491,861 books! | Top bar: Always visible