A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court…

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (1889)

by Mark Twain

7,07185510 (3.7)2 / 261
    The Practice Effect by David Brin (espertus)
    espertus: A whimsical fast-moving fantasy about a modern scientist who is transported to a seemingly Earth-like feudal society.
    King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: These novels have some similar plot elements.
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (Morteana)
    Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen by H. Beam Piper (DWWilkin)
    DWWilkin: One of the first time travel stories

English (78)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (82)
I really liked this but I listened to it as an audiobook. It was particularly funny because the reader was flat out great. I did wonder why it was that Twain set the time travel back in Europe but measured everything in dollars and cents? I don't mean the almighty Twain. It was still hilarious, as expected. ( )
  bjoelle5 | Feb 10, 2016 |
didn't finish
  thea-block | Jan 25, 2016 |
I really wanted to love this book, but it is slow and long-winded at times and there's a lot a suspension of disbelief (not the time travel itself, but the speed with which our Yankee changes life in Britain). Twain's understanding of Arthur's Britain is, of course, not accurate either. I did chuckle at Twain's pranks on 5th century Britons.

One thing I wasn't aware of when I planned to read this: how much commentary there would be against slavery, class, and Catholicism, and also Twain's appreciation for the technology of "modern" 19th century, etc. ( )
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
Hank Morgan is transported from Connecticut in the 1800''s to King Arthurs Court. I thought the book would be mostly about Morgan's adventures in Arthurian times and be mostly an action novel. Instead the book is mainly Twain using Morgan to decry against systems such as slavery and feudal class systems. I felt the ending was way too abrupt given how much detail went into the rest of the book. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
Audio book performed by William Defris

Hank Morgan is an engineer and machinist in 1879 Connecticut. After a blow to the head that knocks him unconscious, he awakens beneath a tree and discovers he has been transported back some thirteen centuries to King Arthur’s England, A.D. 528. This is the story of his adventures and misadventures in that bygone era.

Satire is not my favorite genre, but I enjoyed parts of this satire immensely. Twain gave us images that made me laugh aloud – e.g. the knights in armor playing baseball or riding bicycles. There were also images that depicted the hard life of that time and place – e.g. the condition of prisoners, the ignorance and poverty of the peasants. Some images were particularly distressing (war and slavery). Twain also included scenes of great tenderness and compassion – e.g. the smallpox hut, or family life.

Twain has our hero using his intelligence and expertise to amaze and convince the populace (including King Arthur and the knights of the round table) of his powers and superiority. But as he continues to make “improvements” (mostly for his benefit), he slowly but surely destroys the civilization he found. Imagine introducing telephones, electricity, Gatling guns, soap, and then the concept of a democratic republic into the 6th century. No wonder they thought him a powerful magician/wizard.

I wondered for a while what exactly Twain’s purpose was, but as I read further it seems clear to me that he was commenting on the current political and social situations of late 19th century America. He has Hank campaign against poverty, the prevailing class system and slavery. And campaign for better wages, improved supply and demand, and literacy for a broader populace. I was somewhat disappointed in the ending. It seemed abrupt, as if Twain had run out of ideas. Still, I can clearly see how this has stood the test of time.

William Defris does a fine job of the audio book. I loved his voices for Hank, Clarence and Sandy.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |

Is contained in

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

Camelot—Camelot,” said I to myself. “I don’t seem to remember hearing of it before. Name of the asylum, likely.”
There never was such a country for wandering liars; and they were of both sexes.
ISBN 0812504364 is a Tor edition of A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.
ISBN 0486415910 is a Dover Publications edition of A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.

From the back:

The last thing Hank Morgan can remember is being hit over the head during a brawl in his home town in Connecticut.

When he finally comes to, Hank finds himself in a strange country, seated beside a man dressed in a suit of armor. Hank thinks he is in a circus...or perhaps an asylum.

The truth is, Hank Morgan is alive and well in 528 AD - in Camelot.

The stranger is not a clown, but a knight; and Hank is not in an asylum, but in King Arthur's Court!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553211439, Mass Market Paperback)

This novel tells the story of Hank Morgan, the quintessential self-reliant New Englander who brings to King Arthur’s Age of Chivalry the “great and beneficent” miracles of nineteenth-century engineering and American ingenuity. Through the collision of past and present, Twain exposes the insubstantiality of both utopias, destroying the myth of the romantic ideal as well as his own era’s faith in scientific and social progress.

A central document in American intellectual history, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court is at once a hilarious comedy of anachronisms and incongruities, a romantic fantasy, a utopian vision, and a savage, anarchic social satire that only one of America’s greatest writers could pen.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:18 -0400)

When chance brings Edward Tudor and Tom Canty together, they decide for fun to switch clothes and places. Exchanging their roles as heir to the throne of England and as a pauper's son, they learn how the other half really lives.

Legacy Library: Mark Twain

Mark Twain has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Mark Twain's legacy profile.

See Mark Twain's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

University of California Press

An edition of this book was published by University of California Press.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,256,430 books! | Top bar: Always visible