A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court…

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (1889)

by Mark Twain

7,14984498 (3.7)2 / 265
    The Practice Effect by David Brin (espertus)
    espertus: A whimsical fast-moving fantasy about a modern scientist who is transported to a seemingly Earth-like feudal society.
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (Morteana)
    Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen by H. Beam Piper (DWWilkin)
    DWWilkin: One of the first time travel stories
    King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: These novels have some similar plot elements.

English (80)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (84)
I can't say I found this book all that amusing. There were some classic Twain-isms for sure but this book was Twain's attempt at pointing out the injustices of the world by attacking the legendary King Arthur and making him look like a buffoon.

The story centers on Hank Morgan, a 19th century American who finds himself in the 6th century at King ArthurÛªs Court after a knock on the head. Being an intelligent man after a fashion, he proceeds to become one of the most important men in the country, applying 19th century thoughts and ideas to a much different time.

Twain attacks feudalism and considers the nobility brainless and incapable of serious thought. In Hank Morgan‰Ûªs words, ‰ÛωÛ_you soon saw that brains were not needed in a society like that, and indeed would have marred it, hindered it, spoiled its symmetry ‰ÛÒ perhaps rendered it‰Ûªs existence impossible‰Û. He compares himself to Robinson Crusoe, trapped with ‰ÛÏno society but some more or less tame animals‰Û. For my part, I found this to be the most insulting part of the book. Just because people lived in the so-called Dark Ages, does not mean they weren‰Ûªt as intelligent and thinking as those who came before them and those who came after. Humans don‰Ûªt change‰Û_we have only to look at ourselves to realize that. More importantly, it‰Ûªs always a mistake to take current day morals and thinking and try to apply it to the past. Yes, times were hard. Yes, there was inequality. But the human spirit did and always will prevail. ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
I really liked this but I listened to it as an audiobook. It was particularly funny because the reader was flat out great. I did wonder why it was that Twain set the time travel back in Europe but measured everything in dollars and cents? I don't mean the almighty Twain. It was still hilarious, as expected. ( )
  bjoelle5 | Feb 10, 2016 |
It was a fascinating book and i must say i did enjoy it. ( )
  Shazarah | Feb 6, 2016 |
didn't finish
  thea-block | Jan 25, 2016 |
I really wanted to love this book, but it is slow and long-winded at times and there's a lot a suspension of disbelief (not the time travel itself, but the speed with which our Yankee changes life in Britain). Twain's understanding of Arthur's Britain is, of course, not accurate either. I did chuckle at Twain's pranks on 5th century Britons.

One thing I wasn't aware of when I planned to read this: how much commentary there would be against slavery, class, and Catholicism, and also Twain's appreciation for the technology of "modern" 19th century, etc. ( )
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |

Is contained in

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

Camelot—Camelot,” said I to myself. “I don’t seem to remember hearing of it before. Name of the asylum, likely.”
There never was such a country for wandering liars; and they were of both sexes.
ISBN 0812504364 is a Tor edition of A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.
Adapted by Victor Barnes
ISBN 0486415910 is a Dover Publications edition of A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.

This book is in public domain in the USA and the e-book is available free online ...

From the back:
The last thing Hank Morgan can remember is being hit over the head during a brawl in his home town in Connecticut.
When he finally comes to, Hank finds himself in a strange country, seated beside a man dressed in a suit of armor. Hank thinks he is in a circus...or perhaps an asylum.
The truth is, Hank Morgan is alive and well in 528 AD - in Camelot.
The stranger is not a clown, but a knight; and Hank is not in an asylum, but in King Arthur's Court!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553211439, Mass Market Paperback)

This novel tells the story of Hank Morgan, the quintessential self-reliant New Englander who brings to King Arthur’s Age of Chivalry the “great and beneficent” miracles of nineteenth-century engineering and American ingenuity. Through the collision of past and present, Twain exposes the insubstantiality of both utopias, destroying the myth of the romantic ideal as well as his own era’s faith in scientific and social progress.

A central document in American intellectual history, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court is at once a hilarious comedy of anachronisms and incongruities, a romantic fantasy, a utopian vision, and a savage, anarchic social satire that only one of America’s greatest writers could pen.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:18 -0400)

When chance brings Edward Tudor and Tom Canty together, they decide for fun to switch clothes and places. Exchanging their roles as heir to the throne of England and as a pauper's son, they learn how the other half really lives.

Legacy Library: Mark Twain

Mark Twain has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Mark Twain's legacy profile.

See Mark Twain's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

University of California Press

An edition of this book was published by University of California Press.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,255,108 books! | Top bar: Always visible