A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court…

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (original 1889; edition 2015)

by Mark Twain (Author)

8,09899394 (3.72)2 / 289
Member:Grey_Coopre
Title:A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
Authors:Mark Twain (Author)
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2015), 202 pages

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain (1889)

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (Morteana)
    The Practice Effect by David Brin (espertus)
    espertus: A whimsical fast-moving fantasy about a modern scientist who is transported to a seemingly Earth-like feudal society.
    Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen by H. Beam Piper (DWWilkin)
    DWWilkin: One of the first time travel stories
    King Solomon's Mines by Henry Rider Haggard (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: These novels have some similar plot elements.

English (93)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Spanish (1)  All (98)
This was good fun and had a surprising amount of social commentary whenever Hank (the Boss) Morgan was trying to educate his 6th century Britons on the evils of slavery, class structures and religious intolerance. Although you'll think of it all as a fantasy dream, the ending actually has plausible magician-like twist that provides an explanation for the "time forward" part of the trip.

You of course have to suspend belief that a late 19th century American would be speaking any kind of a language that 6th century Britons would have understood. The compromise is that most speak a Le Morte D' Arthur kind of English and Hank every once and while has to explain his futuristic words in plain terms.

I listened to the 2017 Audible Audio edition which had an excellent narration by Nick Offerman. ( )
  alanteder | Mar 30, 2018 |
I had to stop halfway through the book. Twain was too effective in this book. I couldn't stand him to the point that I had to stop reading. ( )
  DelightedLibrarian | Jan 2, 2018 |
Classic Twain with humor and observations that are still apt today. ( )
  Bricker | Dec 31, 2017 |
I read this years ago, mostly on a commuter train between New Jersey and New York, and I'm convinced the other commuters--mostly men in suits--must have thought I was bonkers because I kept bursting out in laughter. There was one passage I remember re-reading several times, just to see if I could get through it WITHOUT laughing. Alas, no! They really must have thought I was nuts that day. Sure, there is a lot that is improbable and questionable in this book, especially in the set-up (guy gets hit in the head and is transported back in time??) but it gathers strength as it goes, ultimately becoming quite a darkly comedic gem. ( )
  MichaelBarsa | Dec 17, 2017 |
"The work was slow; it lacked the interest of novelty for me, because I had seen the ceremonies before; the thing soon became tedious, but the proprieties required me to stick it out." (pg. 258)

A comic novel in the vein of Don Quixote and Candide, with a concept that has been well-worn (and surprisingly enduring) in pop culture tropes since. Considering this, it is surprising that A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court is, objectively, not very good. Story-wise it is patchy, but even this would be forgivable if it had graces in other key areas. Unfortunately, it is grossly over-written, even by 19th-century standards, and too much of the prose is spent in describing things rather than in humour or drama. The only reason I was able to read it so quickly, by my standards, was because I was skim-reading whole swathes of turgid and irrelevant passages.

The book does have its moments – Mark Twain doesn't have his reputation for nothing. The fundamental comedic conceit has a great deal of potential (hence its influence on comedy since) and the theme Twain delivers – an attack on monarchy and caste and the church – is a sound one, even if it is rather heavy-handed and didactic. Individual scenes are well written: in this comic novel the best scene, in fact, is a dramatic one in which the king carries a pox-ridden child. But the book tries to do too much, and it is by no means lean. By the second half, any mirth that had been laboriously conjured up has gone and – peculiarly – been replaced with a casual bloodlust. It is a very strange reading experience: one whose reputation is enhanced by all the great comedy it inspired in the 100+ years after its publication, and diminished by anyone who has actually read the book itself. ( )
  MikeFutcher | Nov 6, 2017 |
just remarks will close the examination straight away! What's more, will confine the advantages

Twain, Markprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

Camelot—Camelot,” said I to myself. “I don’t seem to remember hearing of it before. Name of the asylum, likely.”
There never was such a country for wandering liars; and they were of both sexes.
ISBN 0812504364 is a Tor edition of A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.
Adapted by Victor Barnes
ISBN 0486415910 is a Dover Publications edition of A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553211439, Mass Market Paperback)

This novel tells the story of Hank Morgan, the quintessential self-reliant New Englander who brings to King Arthur’s Age of Chivalry the “great and beneficent” miracles of nineteenth-century engineering and American ingenuity. Through the collision of past and present, Twain exposes the insubstantiality of both utopias, destroying the myth of the romantic ideal as well as his own era’s faith in scientific and social progress.

A central document in American intellectual history, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court is at once a hilarious comedy of anachronisms and incongruities, a romantic fantasy, a utopian vision, and a savage, anarchic social satire that only one of America’s greatest writers could pen.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:18 -0400)

When chance brings Edward Tudor and Tom Canty together, they decide for fun to switch clothes and places. Exchanging their roles as heir to the throne of England and as a pauper's son, they learn how the other half really lives.

Legacy Library: Mark Twain

Mark Twain has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Mark Twain's legacy profile.

See Mark Twain's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,369,579 books! | Top bar: Always visible