A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court…

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (original 1889; edition 2011)

by Mark Twain (Author)

9,293109566 (3.7)2 / 310
A blow on the head transports a Yankee to 528 A.D. where he proceeds to modernize King Arthur's kingdom by organizing a school system, constructing telephone lines, and inventing the printing press.
Member:SavRaine
Title:A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
Authors:Mark Twain (Author)
Info:Simon & Brown (2011), 334 pages

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain (1889)

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (Morteana)
    The Practice Effect by David Brin (espertus)
    espertus: A whimsical fast-moving fantasy about a modern scientist who is transported to a seemingly Earth-like feudal society.
    Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen by H. Beam Piper (DWWilkin)
    DWWilkin: One of the first time travel stories
    King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: These novels have some similar plot elements.

English (103)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (109)
I came to this book via a list of great time-travel books. I have read plenty of Twain in the past, and enjoyed him, but this was my first time with this text.
It is really more social commentary than time travel. The technical aspects of the hero going back in time are limited in the extreme - he gets whacked in the head, and wakes up 1300 years earlier in time.
Twain then has fun showing how a modern man could run rings around the elite of the 6th century, while concurrently delivering caustic commentary on modern society.
Hardly a great time-travel book, but a good read nonetheless. Twain is opinionated and humorous - rarely a bad combination for a writer. ( )
  mbmackay | Sep 18, 2020 |
I had heard of this book but had not read it before. This seemed a good way to get into it. I didn't realize it was abridged (the cover doesn't say so), and I wonder if I would have liked it better or worse in its original form. Little editing was done in 'dem days so it may be that the abridgement was a good thing, but in my experience Mark Twain was thrifty with words so maybe not.

Others here have shared the basic plot. It's a weird little tale, not quite what I expected, but generally enjoyable. I got to thinking about that eclipse a while later. Given that there are usually several eclipses of the sun in a normal lifetime it seems that many would have experienced one before and maybe wondered a bit about this visitor and his so-called powers. But never mind. Superstition reigned then as it does today. ( )
  slojudy | Sep 8, 2020 |
As Twain does, he hides social commentary in a quaint story and sneaks it all in before you realize what happened.

This books is funny, of course. Twain is one of those folks that makes you smile on every page. And he skewers major institution after major institution. In particular, he thumbs his nose at monarchies, hero worship, artificial class structures, the superstitious, and wow does he go at institutional religious entities. He also has a lot to say about mankind's infatuation with heroism through violence, blind patriotism, mob thinking, anti-intellectualism. The story applies today as much as it did then. All of this wrapped up in the story of a "modern" dude being transported to the 6th century. Where at first he thinks he is somehow in an insane asylum and then realizes that everyone is just insane (so to speak). Anyway. It's a must read, I think, if you want a complete western literary education but ...

BUT! I didn't love it.

The language is ... just too dated. Huckleberry Finn is one of my favorite novels of all time, but it didn't bog down in the language like this book did. I'm not sure why this was different. And all the 6th century folks spoke in a Twain-ified 6th century dialect that was sometimes quite funny (he was making fun of them) but also ... just too much.

And the book is entirely too long. It needed to be about 1/3rd shorter. Maybe more. It reminded me of Forest Gump and how it just went on and on and on and on. Anyway.

Glad I read it. It is indeed brilliant. But I will never read it again. :) ( )
  ErrantRuminant | Aug 9, 2020 |
Interesting science fiction, ( )
  Baochuan | Apr 6, 2020 |
Spelling and punctuation modernized. Signet classics ( )
  ME_Dictionary | Mar 20, 2020 |
just remarks will close the examination straight away! What's more, will confine the advantages

Twain, Markprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

Camelot—Camelot,” said I to myself. “I don’t seem to remember hearing of it before. Name of the asylum, likely.”
There never was such a country for wandering liars; and they were of both sexes.

Legacy Library: Mark Twain

Mark Twain has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Mark Twain's legacy profile.

See Mark Twain's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,904,708 books! | Top bar: Always visible