A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's…

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (original 1889; edition 2011)

by Mark Twain

6,95177518 (3.7)2 / 256
Title:A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
Authors:Mark Twain
Info:Simon & Brown (2011), Paperback, 334 pages

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain (1889)

The Practice Effect by David Brin (espertus)
    espertus: A whimsical fast-moving fantasy about a modern scientist who is transported to a seemingly Earth-like feudal society.
    King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: These novels have some similar plot elements.
    Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen by H. Beam Piper (DWWilkin)
    DWWilkin: One of the first time travel stories
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (Morteana)
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (sturlington)
    sturlington: Funny, satirical science fiction.

English (73)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (77)
Firstly, I really want to say that I liked this book. I didn't read a lot of Mark Twain when I was younger, and I wish I had, because I find his writing style to be very tongue-in-cheek and it amuses me. That said, even with the time lapse between now and when this book was written, it's still very applicable in that it gives you something to think about even if the technology is out of date. It may be perceived by some as a little bit sexist, but I really liked the narrator's conversations with Sandy, particularly when he was questing. Twain has a way of being so incredibly blunt about his thoughts, that it isn't even so much offensive as it will make you laugh out loud from surprise.

All this said, as it was my first time visiting this book, I read it for entertainment value. I would very much like to visit a hardcopy version of this book as opposed to the audiobook so I can look a little bit more into the ideals, as I'm sure he meant a little bit more than to entertain me in the writing of this book. Definitely would recommend it! ( )
  Morteana | Nov 29, 2015 |
I read this in college for a class in Arthurian literature. I enjoyed it, but hated having to rush through to read on a schedule. (A book a week in that one class alone, plus all the other reading for classes was tough, LOL!) When I got my first Kindle, this was one of the first books I put on it. I enjoyed it even more the seconnd time around! ( )
  glindaharrison | Oct 19, 2015 |
  glindaharrison | Oct 19, 2015 |
Mark Twain's classic tale of a 19th-century go-getter who gets hit on the head, wakes up in the kingdom of Camelot, and proceeds to gleefully set about introducing his own era's technology and ideas about civilization to the Dark Ages (soon to be briefly lit by electricity).

This isn't the first time I'd read this novel, but my last encounter was nearly a quarter-century ago, and apparently I hadn't remembered it nearly as well as I'd thought. I'd recalled it, somewhat fondly, as a comic romp, a humorous satire of both Arthurian romance and the social attitudes of the Gilded Age, as well as the predecessor of a zillion less interesting science fiction stories in which improbably ingenious time travelers manage to rebuild their own technologically advanced civilizations centuries early, from scratch.

Well, it is all of those things. But what I'd completely forgotten is that it's also a scathing diatribe against monarchy, slavery, state-established religion, and the oppression of the poor, complete with lots of disturbing and depressing scenes calculated to bring the importance of these subjects home. Twain being Twain, it's very well done, but it does perhaps get to be a bit much. It certainly wasn't an ideal thing to read at a time when I was busy and easily distracted.

Rating: Despite it not being quite the right book at the right time for me, I figure it still probably deserves 4/5. Because, come on, Twain. ( )
1 vote bragan | Sep 29, 2015 |
Twain's tale of time travel. ( )
  wmnch2fam | Apr 14, 2015 |

Pérez Rilo, RicardoIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Has as a student's study guide

Camelot—Camelot,” said I to myself. “I don’t seem to remember hearing of it before. Name of the asylum, likely.”
There never was such a country for wandering liars; and they were of both sexes.
ISBN 0812504364 is a Tor edition of A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.
ISBN 0486415910 is a Dover Publications edition of A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.

From the back:

The last thing Hank Morgan can remember is being hit over the head during a brawl in his home town in Connecticut.

When he finally comes to, Hank finds himself in a strange country, seated beside a man dressed in a suit of armor. Hank thinks he is in a circus...or perhaps an asylum.

The truth is, Hank Morgan is alive and well in 528 AD - in Camelot.

The stranger is not a clown, but a knight; and Hank is not in an asylum, but in King Arthur's Court!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553211439, Mass Market Paperback)

This novel tells the story of Hank Morgan, the quintessential self-reliant New Englander who brings to King Arthur’s Age of Chivalry the “great and beneficent” miracles of nineteenth-century engineering and American ingenuity. Through the collision of past and present, Twain exposes the insubstantiality of both utopias, destroying the myth of the romantic ideal as well as his own era’s faith in scientific and social progress.

A central document in American intellectual history, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court is at once a hilarious comedy of anachronisms and incongruities, a romantic fantasy, a utopian vision, and a savage, anarchic social satire that only one of America’s greatest writers could pen.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:18 -0400)

When chance brings Edward Tudor and Tom Canty together, they decide for fun to switch clothes and places. Exchanging their roles as heir to the throne of England and as a pauper's son, they learn how the other half really lives.

Legacy Library: Mark Twain

Mark Twain has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Mark Twain's legacy profile.

See Mark Twain's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

University of California Press

An edition of this book was published by University of California Press.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,888,551 books! | Top bar: Always visible