Autistic Planet by Jennifer Elder

Autistic Planet

by Jennifer Elder

112820,536 (4)None

I really liked this book. It is the story of a little boy and his friend who has autism. They are making spheres out of clay and his friend says that the sphere is her planet. I loved how this book showed that individuals with autism see the world in different ways. This book shows that just because a person has autism it doesn't mean that they can't do things, they just do them a little different than other people.

I loved how this book was written in the perspective of the girl with autism. It shows that even thought she has autism she can still see the world as a better place where everyone is happy. I think that if we all thought like this then maybe the world may be a better place. I really liked how the individual with autism is a main character in this story as well and that they are seen as a real person and not seen as different. I really loved the illustrations as well. They are very colorful and bright and really compliment the story well.

There was one thing I did not like about this book though. The author does not use people first language. It says "my autistic friend" instead of "my friend with autism." I know this is a small thing in the book but as a special education major I was taught to always use people first language.

Overall, I really liked this book and would recommend it to everyone because they get the unique perspective of getting into the head of an individual who is autistic. ( )
  sreinh2 | Nov 19, 2014 |
Children's book. Autistic planet is a magical world where all trains run exactly to time, where people working in offices have rocking chairs, and where all kids dream of winning the chess world cup. Take a journey into this alternative reality, where being different is ordinary, and being "typical" is unheard of! Full of colour illustrations and written in simple rhyme, this book is aimed at children on the autism spectrum, their parents, teachers, carers and siblings.
  ThePinesLibrary | Jun 26, 2014 |

A young girl with autism describes all the ways in which her very different world is perfect.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,083,289 books! | Top bar: Always visible