Land of the Blind: A Novel (P.S.) by Jess…

Land of the Blind: A Novel (P.S.) (original 2003; edition 2009)

by Jess Walter

219775,827 (3.83)1
Member:AmCorKragujevac
Title:Land of the Blind: A Novel (P.S.)
Authors:Jess Walter
Info:Harper Perennial (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 320 pages

Land of the Blind by Jess Walter (2003)

English (6)  Italian (1)  All languages (7)
On page 8, Jess Walter (who is male), writes this about the female main character, who is a police detective, of Land of the Blind and several of his other books: “She has noticed that older women have one of two kinds of necks: big bullfrog jowls or tent poles under stretched skin...and each morning she stands in front of the mirror to see which neck she is growing”. Really??

My immediate reaction was to slam the book shut and flip it over to stare at the giant photo of Jess Walter on the back cover, furiously thinking, “And what does YOUR neck look like, jackass?!”.

Any man who seriously thinks women are like this should not try to write female characters, much less entire books featuring one.

I did try reading the rest of the book but since it’s mostly written in the form of a confession of a really irritating and pompous killer, it was a trudge and I gave up. My motivation wasn’t great because I just couldn’t stop thinking that Jess Walter is a jerk. ( )
  EnidaV | Jul 22, 2018 |
I have just finished reading all of Jess Walter's non fiction. I do a lot of reading so unless an author impresses me, I usually do not read more than one book by that author(too many good books out there). Walter impressed me. It started with Beautiful Ruins which is his most popular book and the one that I would recommend as the first read. I have thought that this, his 2nd novel ,would be a follow up to his first because he had Caroline the detective from the that novel as a character. She was in the book but not as a major part. The book is more about childhood connections and the impact of that time on people's lives. I found it enough of a mystery and a good read to keep my interest. Walter has 7 novels of fiction and he is a very good writer. He does good character studies, has an excellent literary style and tells a good story. I strongly recommend him as an author you might like. ( )
  nivramkoorb | Aug 10, 2016 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  JosieRivers | Dec 28, 2014 |
I just read this for a book group and was underwhelmed. One of my favorite books this summer was Walter's [b:Beautiful Ruins|11447921|Beautiful Ruins|Jess Walter|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1338161553s/11447921.jpg|16381755], but this riff on the police procedural (less "who dunnit" and more "what exactly is it that he dun") did not quite grab me--or rather, it grabbed me but only in that mildly icky way that an intense television cop show grabs you and then leaves you deflated with no sense of a there there. It seemed predictably unpredictable, if that makes sense. I found the long first pages about bullying depressing without really revealing much about the main characters and the "surprise surprise" final pages (and this kind of book needs to have a big payoff to make the long wait worthwhile) just fell flat for me. Walter is an excellent writer, to be sure, and you can see that here in flashes, but this particular story will not be one that I recommend of his. ( )
  tippycanoegal | Apr 1, 2013 |
An oddly structured mystery--could seem like a gimick but it works for this story
  ritaer | Mar 26, 2011 |
In het land der blinden is eenoog koning.
Erasmus
Gek zijn is niet altijd een ramp.
Erasmus, Lof der Zotheid
De dame glimlachte; want de hoffelijkheid van een eenogige man is nog steeds hoffelijkheid.
Voltaire, Le crocheteur borgne
...onthoud dit ene verschil... je geweten is geen wet.
Laurence Sterne, Tristam Shandy
Een domme man is niet ongelukkiger dan een paard dat niet kan lezen.
Erasmus, Lof der zotheid
Voor Bruce, Kristie, Ralph en Carol (in memoriam)
He sits alone in the interview room, his unshaven face in his hands, a guy about her age and not exactly bad looking, for a loon anyway.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060989289, Paperback)

Jess Walter, a reporter whose first novel fictionalized the true crime story of a serial killer in Spokane, Washington, (Over Tumbled Graves) has penned a riveting, elegiac thriller about a middle-aged man who wants Spokane police detective Caroline Mabry to witness his confession to a crime that hasn't yet been discovered. As Clark Mason writes the long story of a childhood friendship gone horribly wrong, readers will shudder, remembering their own tortured adolescence and revisiting it in that of Eli Boyle, whose physical and social awkwardness made him a natural target for his peers. Back then, even Clark joined the crowd in making fun of Eli. But he also showed him some kindness--enough to make Eli agree to let Clark turn his fantasy game, Empire, into a high-tech start-up years later, and to bankroll Clark's run for Congress. But when the technology boom goes bust and Clark's dreams run out of steam, Eli makes a last, frightening bid for what he's always wanted--revenge on those who made his childhood hell, including the woman Clark has loved since high school. Walter's abilities as a prose stylist and his sense of narrative tension shine through in this extremely well written novel, which is far stronger than his first, but shares its deep sense of time and place. --Jane Adams

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:09 -0400)

When a disoriented and strangely familiar figure appears, wanting to write a lengthy confession, Spokane police detective Caroline Mabry finds herself challenged to investigate a murder and the darkly intertwined lives of two men.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,800,060 books! | Top bar: Always visible