Diagnose besmet by Tess Gerritsen

Diagnose besmet (original 1997; edition 1998)

by Tess Gerritsen

Member:Tityken
Title:Diagnose besmet
Authors:Tess Gerritsen
Info:Amsterdam Luitingh-Sijthoff 1998?
Rating:***1/2

Life Support by Tess Gerritsen (1997)

Recently added bysi_j_peacock, BayGirl_Reads, jbenny57, AMKee, KimMiller, kybunnies, private library

English (12)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (14)
This is my second taste of Tess Gerritsen's medical thrillers, and although it didn't live up to Bloodstream I still really enjoyed it. I think part of my disappointment stemmed from the poor blurbing, to be honest. It was made out to be a kind of bio-weapon imminent-epidemic novel (at least, that's how I read it) whereas it's actually far more contained and subtle than that. It's more about medical ethics and the pursuit of youth than anything. That said, it was still veeeery creepy in parts, outright shocking in others, I liked the characters, and it definitely kept me glued to the pages enough that I finished all 460-ish of them within a couple of days. Tentatively recommended. ( )
  elliepotten | Oct 24, 2014 |
She does a good job with medical mysteries. ( )
  CandaceVan | Apr 16, 2013 |
This was a 2-cassette abridged audio version of the book. I stopped listening toward the end of the first cassette (almost halfway through) when nothing had happened except some strange illnesses.

Thank goodness I wasn't trying to wade through the UNabridged version.

FiberBabble | Mar 30, 2013 |
Life Support is the 10th stand-alone novel by Tess Gerritsen. Springer Hospital’s night-shift ER doctor, Toby Harper, finds her job is on the line when she literally loses a patient. The elderly man presents with confusion and apparent seizures, but while the ER staff are dealing with another emergency, the patient disappears. When another patient with identical symptoms, from the same exclusive residential community, with the same doctor, dies in the hospital, Toby wants to investigate further, fearing an infectious cause. As Toby tries to find out more, she hits a brick wall with the admitting doctor and the residential community, which arouses her suspicions. But problems in her personal life complicate matters even further. Medical murder mystery is Tess Gerristen’s forte and she, once again, gives us a great plot and credible characters and dialogue. The ME in this novel can, in some ways, be seen as the blueprint for Maura Isles role in the Rizzoli and Isles series. Another great Gerritsen read. ( )
  CloggieDownunder | Mar 16, 2012 |
Tess Gerritsen is one of my favourite authors within this genre. I seem to go through every emotion when I am reading one of her novels. I have had to stop books before as I was in the house myself and the house started to creak.

I love how she brings her medical knowledge to her books and I find this makes them unique and stand out in a genre where a lot of books are published. The medical references and scenes within the novel as brought to life through this medical knowledge and I think this adds to fear that comes with her books, as this could really happen.

This is a fast paced medical thriller that will keep you turning the pages until there are no more pages to turn. Her characters are well researched and help add to the mood of the novel. They all serve a purpose and you never know who is going to end up being the bad guy.

Overall a well written medical thriller from an author who is personal favourite of mine.

This review was first published on http://everybookhasasoul.wordpress.com ( )
  everybookhasasoul | Feb 28, 2012 |

Tess Gerritsenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eräpuro, AnnikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A scalpel is a beautiful thing.

Control was the word Dr Toby Harper lived by. She strove to keep her life in order, her ER in order. But no one could have been prepared for the man she admits one quiet night to the Springer Hospital. Delirious and in critical condition from a possible viral infection of the brain, he barely responds to treatment. And then he disappears without trace. The subsequent search leads Toby to a second patient with the same infection. And it reveals an unsettling twist - the infection can only be spread through direct tissue exchange. Soon Toby's on a trail that winds from a pregnant sixteen-year-old prostitute to an unexpected tragedy in her own home. Only then does she discover the unthinkable: a terrifying and deadly epidemic is about to be unleashed...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671553046, Mass Market Paperback)

Former romance author and medical doctor Tess Gerritsen is writing in a new genre: medical suspense. Advertised as her "first novel," Harvest jumped onto the New York Times bestseller list and thus legions of new fans were introduced to the work of this talented author. Gerritsen's second thriller, Life Support, is as moving as any of her romances. Dr. Toby Harper works the night shift in an emergency room. More comfortable with the steady horror and tedium of emergency care than with a normal lifestyle, Toby alienates herself socially from her peers and from her sister. She spends her daytime hours alone with her mother who suffers from Alzheimer's disease. When elderly Alzheimer's patients from the same retirement home start dying mysteriously, Toby is the only one suspicious enough to investigate. As a result she finds herself, her mother, and her own sanity at risk.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:27 -0400)

Dr. Toby Harper, on overnight rotation at Springer Hospital, uncovers what appears to be a deadly epidemic.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,471,689 books! | Top bar: Always visible