Diagnose besmet by Tess Gerritsen

Diagnose besmet (original 1997; edition 1998)

by Tess Gerritsen

Member:Tityken
Title:Diagnose besmet
Authors:Tess Gerritsen
Info:Amsterdam Luitingh-Sijthoff 1998?
Rating:***1/2

Life Support by Tess Gerritsen (1997)

English (13)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (15)
Toby Harper, night shift supervisor of Springer Hospital's emergency room, comes under administration's intense scrutiny and is called onto the carpet in front of a hospital board inquiry after a patient suffering from tremors and confusion walks out of the hospital and disappears. When the home health care aide who is taking care of her ailing elderly mother resigns and a colleague seeks to use the missing patient incident as a reason to dismiss Harper, stress turns Harper's job in a big city hospital into a daily battle for survival. As a second patient presents with the same symptoms and dies in the frantic chaos of a crash "Code Blue", Harper's investigation turns stress into full-blown crisis as she uncovers a conspiracy related to an illicit hormone therapy program at an upscale home for the aged.

"Life Support" has interesting medical aspects without getting too dry or detailed. It also benefits from realistic characters and dialogue, and a good dose of creepiness that heightens the suspense. The story's end is a bit disappointing as it dips into the improbable, but the book is nonetheless a definite must-read. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
I had the two cassette audio version of Life Support by Tess Gerritsen. I looked and looked and could not find where it said abridged on the box for it. It did not say but it must have been you cannot read 400 pages in two hours.

I was very disappointed. The story began confusingly and abruptly. I could not figure out what was going on. It is almost as if there was a discussion about whether the taping had started. After that, Dr. Toby Harper is the night shift doctor at a hospital and is on the verge of losing her job. One of her patients walked off while waiting for a scan. Also, her mother is suffering from dementia and her sister refuses to help her because she has a family. She uncovers a criminal scheme that involves the Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. Oddly enough, I knew about the disease.

There is freaky ending that just came too soon. I felt for Toby as being an unsuspecting victim in this mess.

I do not think I can judge the story because this was abridged. I would definitely not recommend listening to the audio tape version of this book. It is choppy and disappointing. ( )
  Carolee888 | Dec 13, 2014 |
This is my second taste of Tess Gerritsen's medical thrillers, and although it didn't live up to Bloodstream I still really enjoyed it. I think part of my disappointment stemmed from the poor blurbing, to be honest. It was made out to be a kind of bio-weapon imminent-epidemic novel (at least, that's how I read it) whereas it's actually far more contained and subtle than that. It's more about medical ethics and the pursuit of youth than anything. That said, it was still veeeery creepy in parts, outright shocking in others, I liked the characters, and it definitely kept me glued to the pages enough that I finished all 460-ish of them within a couple of days. Tentatively recommended. ( )
  elliepotten | Oct 24, 2014 |
She does a good job with medical mysteries. ( )
  CandaceVan | Apr 16, 2013 |
This was a 2-cassette abridged audio version of the book. I stopped listening toward the end of the first cassette (almost halfway through) when nothing had happened except some strange illnesses.

Thank goodness I wasn't trying to wade through the UNabridged version.

FiberBabble | Mar 30, 2013 |

Tess Gerritsenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eräpuro, AnnikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A scalpel is a beautiful thing.

Control was the word Dr Toby Harper lived by. She strove to keep her life in order, her ER in order. But no one could have been prepared for the man she admits one quiet night to the Springer Hospital. Delirious and in critical condition from a possible viral infection of the brain, he barely responds to treatment. And then he disappears without trace. The subsequent search leads Toby to a second patient with the same infection. And it reveals an unsettling twist - the infection can only be spread through direct tissue exchange. Soon Toby's on a trail that winds from a pregnant sixteen-year-old prostitute to an unexpected tragedy in her own home. Only then does she discover the unthinkable: a terrifying and deadly epidemic is about to be unleashed...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671553046, Mass Market Paperback)

Former romance author and medical doctor Tess Gerritsen is writing in a new genre: medical suspense. Advertised as her "first novel," Harvest jumped onto the New York Times bestseller list and thus legions of new fans were introduced to the work of this talented author. Gerritsen's second thriller, Life Support, is as moving as any of her romances. Dr. Toby Harper works the night shift in an emergency room. More comfortable with the steady horror and tedium of emergency care than with a normal lifestyle, Toby alienates herself socially from her peers and from her sister. She spends her daytime hours alone with her mother who suffers from Alzheimer's disease. When elderly Alzheimer's patients from the same retirement home start dying mysteriously, Toby is the only one suspicious enough to investigate. As a result she finds herself, her mother, and her own sanity at risk.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:16 -0400)

Dr. Toby Harper, on overnight rotation at Springer Hospital, uncovers what appears to be a deadly epidemic.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,849,185 books! | Top bar: Always visible