Praying for Sleep by Jeffery Deaver

Praying for Sleep (1993)

by Jeffery Deaver

English (6)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  All (8)
One of the best twist endings. I'm such a sucker for those! ( )
  OnlyWhenILarf | Jan 14, 2017 |
Jampacked with twists and turns, always coming up with something new. It seemed to drag a little in a couple of spots, but all in all was a great thriller!

Mr. Deaver developed all of the key players in the book, to the fullest extent. I think the book would have been fine, without all of the extra information. ( )
  mrsboone7 | Sep 6, 2015 |
A psychological thriller focusing on a young paranoid schizophrenic who escapes from a New England mental hospital in pursuit of a high-school teacher who testified at his murder trial, carrying with him a secret that will tear many lives apart during the course of one night.
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |

I liked "the Bone Collector" by this author very much and therefore I decided that I wanted to read more books by him. This one is also good. No Lyncoln Rhyme and Amelia Sachs, but Michael Hrubek, an escaped shizophrenic man and Lis Atcheson, the woman he is going to.

The warden, his doctor, the police, everybody underestimates what Hrubek is capable of. He hasn't taken his medication and is more clear in his head than ever, planning his trip, using what he finds on his way.
Lis is hiding things, keeping secrets form her husband and others that are close to her.

While "the storm of the century" is blowing over, her house is nearly floaded with water, Lis (together with us as readers) finds out the thruth of all that happened in the months before. And the outcome surprised me very much.

A good read, although the misfortune of Lis and her sister in the house, keeping them from going to a safe hotel is quite far fetched from time to time. That is, for me, unbelievable, but not to an extent that it got annoying. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |
I liked The Bone Collector a lot, so I figured I'd grab this one. A schizophrenic escapes his hospital and goes on a search for the woman who testified against him at a murder trial some years before. Blah. I saw nearly every twist coming ages before it happened and when the "big" twist showed up, I was just "oh, okay, that makes sense" instead of "oh my god!!!" The writing was fairly mediocre. I was very glad it was a free book. It went back on the free shelf when I was done.
  PirateJenny | Jul 25, 2009 |

Jeffery Deaverprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dèttore, MariapaolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lammes, MartinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And can you, by no drift of conference,
Get from him why he puts on this confusion,
Grating so harshly all his days of quiet
With turbulent and dangerous lunacy?
Hamlet,
William Shakespeare
Like a cradle, the hearse rocked him gently.
ISBN 0340606339 is only for Praying for Sleep; not for the 2-in-1 Omnibus which includes The Bone Collector.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451203054, Mass Market Paperback)

Praying for revenge...Psycho killer Michael Hrubek has escaped to find the woman who put him away. He'll show her what killing is all about...Praying for salvation...Lis knows he's out there. He's haunted every sleepless night, watching and waiting to take her to hell with him...And now Lis is Praying for Sleep.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:32 -0400)

Michael Hrubek, the man who murdered two of Lis Atcheson's students, has escaped the institution where he was sentenced. But Hrubek isn't just any killer- e knows Lis's name. He knows her face. He knows where she lives. He knows she's the one who put him away, and he'll make her pay. And in the next 24 hours, he knows what she'll be doing-praying for mercy. Praying for revenge, psycho killer Michael Hrubek has escaped to find the woman who put him away. He'll show her what killing is all about-praying for salvation. Lis knows he's out there. He's haunted every sleepless night, watching and waiting to take her to hell with him. And now Lis is Praying for Sleep .… (more)

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,028,438 books! | Top bar: Always visible