A Spoonful of Poison by M. C. Beaton

A Spoonful of Poison

by M. C. Beaton

Can't help but love Agatha. ( )
  ratastrophe | Mar 20, 2014 |
In which Agatha gets involved in a case in which two women unwittingly take a quantity of LSD and kill themselves. The usual same all.same all,but still an acceptable light read. ( )
  devenish | Sep 23, 2013 |
Agatha Raisin will likely never be my favorite fictional detective because of her abrasive personality. She's full of herself, jealous, and man-crazy. When I was looking for an audiobook for a trip, I decided to give her a try in this format because it was about the right length for my trip. In this installment, Agatha is asked to help publicize a church fete in a nearby parish. She's prepared to say no, but when she sees the gentleman who is helping organize it, she changes her mind. She manages to snag a top pop music artist to kick off the event. The highlight of this event is always the jam tasting. The problem is that some of it has been laced with LSD and a couple of attendees end up dead while others are "stoned". With only a handful of viable suspects, Agatha sets out with the help of one of her younger private investigators to find the killer. There are some interesting twists along the way. I do believe that I enjoyed my audio experience more than I have most of the print encounters with Agatha Raisin. I'm not sure if that is because the plot was better or because the narrator did a better job than I did of interpreting the character. All in all, it wasn't a bad way to spend a few hours on the road. ( )
  thornton37814 | Jan 3, 2013 |
You know where you are with Agatha Raisin, they're not taxing books, not complicated and they each run pretty much along similar lines. In this one we the good old village fete and a bizarre poisoning. I was glad this didn't go over the top again like we had a couple of books ago, the story is more reminiscent of earlier A R novels except fotr the detective agency and the new characters. I did think this one did seem a bit padded out. As if M C Beaton had to write a certain length book and the plot didn't quite fill it. This is an easy cosy read, enjoyable enough, Agatha is her usual self, as is Sir Charles, Mrs Bloxby and Roy - always glad to see these old favourites, I'm just not so convinced by the newer characters like Toni and Harry. I was amused to see Agatha raging over the smoking ban - which brings things up to date a bit - amazing therefore that Agatha never gets any older, something the actual A R would be delighted by. I have the next 2 in the series tbr - and will read them, but maybe my love of A R is waning. ( )
  Heaven-Ali | Nov 21, 2011 |
I found it hard to relate to the characters, especially Agatha. She seemed vindictive and petty, and not in a charming or human way, just in an unlikeable way. I think Agatha is supposed to seem "real" and relatable because she is flawed, but I found her flaws irritating. They also seemed like a major hindrance to her detecting; I found myself wondering how she ever solves any mysteries while chasing hot men and making irrational judgments about suspects. Also maybe it wasn't a great idea for me to start the series in the middle because I had a hard time figuring out the backstory of some of the characters like Sir Charles and Ray and how they were related to Agatha and her agency.

The mystery is kind of unsatisfying too. I don't want to say too much because of spoilers but there are actually several different mysteries and they are not all resolved very satisfactorily, in my opinion. Like Beaton wanted there to be another twist but forgot to go back and add it. A shame because I am always on the lookout for a good new mystery series, but I just don't think Agatha Raisin will really fit the bill. ( )
  sansmerci | Nov 12, 2011 |
This book is dedicated to my three bookselling angels at the Cotswold Bookstore, Moreton-in-Marsh, Gloucestershire--Tony Keats, David Whitehead and Nina Smith.
Mrs. Bloxby, wife of the vicar of Carsely, looked nervously at her visitor.

Cranky but lovable sleuth Agatha Raisin’s detective agency has become so successful that she wants nothing more than to take quality time for rest and relaxation. But as soon as she begins closing the agency on weekends, she remembers that when she has plenty of quality time, she doesn’t know what to do with it. So it doesn’t take much for the vicar of a nearby village to persuade her to help publicize the church fete---especially when the fair’s organizer, George Selby, turns out to be a gorgeous widower.

Agatha brings out the crowds for the fete, all right, but there’s more going on than innocent village fun. Several of the offerings in the jam-tasting booth turn out to be poisoned, and the festive family event becomes the scene of two murders.

Along with her young and (much to her dismay) pretty sidekick, Toni, Agatha must uncover the truth behind the jam tampering, keep the church funds safe from theft, and expose the nasty secrets lurking in the village---all while falling for handsome George, who may have secrets of his own.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:54 -0400)

The vicar of a nearby village persuades Agatha Raisin to help publicize a church fete. Agatha brings out the crowds for the fete, but there's more going on than innocent village fun. Several of the offerings in the jam-tasting booth turn out to be poisoned, and the festive family event becomes the scene of two murders. Along with her young and (much to her dismay) pretty sidekick, Toni, Agatha must uncover the truth behind the jam tampering, keep the church funds safe from theft, and expose the nasty secrets lurking in the village--all while falling for handsome George Selby, who may have secrets of his own.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,232,798 books! | Top bar: Always visible