A Spoonful of Poison by M. C. Beaton

A Spoonful of Poison

by M. C. Beaton

4 stars, an enjoyable book in this series. I prefer them much more now with the character of Toni and Agatha running her own detective agency. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
Pleasant but tepid. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
Can't help but love Agatha. ( )
  ratastrophe | Mar 20, 2014 |
In which Agatha gets involved in a case in which two women unwittingly take a quantity of LSD and kill themselves. The usual same all.same all,but still an acceptable light read. ( )
  devenish | Sep 23, 2013 |
Agatha Raisin will likely never be my favorite fictional detective because of her abrasive personality. She's full of herself, jealous, and man-crazy. When I was looking for an audiobook for a trip, I decided to give her a try in this format because it was about the right length for my trip. In this installment, Agatha is asked to help publicize a church fete in a nearby parish. She's prepared to say no, but when she sees the gentleman who is helping organize it, she changes her mind. She manages to snag a top pop music artist to kick off the event. The highlight of this event is always the jam tasting. The problem is that some of it has been laced with LSD and a couple of attendees end up dead while others are "stoned". With only a handful of viable suspects, Agatha sets out with the help of one of her younger private investigators to find the killer. There are some interesting twists along the way. I do believe that I enjoyed my audio experience more than I have most of the print encounters with Agatha Raisin. I'm not sure if that is because the plot was better or because the narrator did a better job than I did of interpreting the character. All in all, it wasn't a bad way to spend a few hours on the road. ( )
  thornton37814 | Jan 3, 2013 |
This book is dedicated to my three bookselling angels at the Cotswold Bookstore, Moreton-in-Marsh, Gloucestershire--Tony Keats, David Whitehead and Nina Smith.
Mrs. Bloxby, wife of the vicar of Carsely, looked nervously at her visitor.

Cranky but lovable sleuth Agatha Raisin’s detective agency has become so successful that she wants nothing more than to take quality time for rest and relaxation. But as soon as she begins closing the agency on weekends, she remembers that when she has plenty of quality time, she doesn’t know what to do with it. So it doesn’t take much for the vicar of a nearby village to persuade her to help publicize the church fete---especially when the fair’s organizer, George Selby, turns out to be a gorgeous widower.

Agatha brings out the crowds for the fete, all right, but there’s more going on than innocent village fun. Several of the offerings in the jam-tasting booth turn out to be poisoned, and the festive family event becomes the scene of two murders.

Along with her young and (much to her dismay) pretty sidekick, Toni, Agatha must uncover the truth behind the jam tampering, keep the church funds safe from theft, and expose the nasty secrets lurking in the village---all while falling for handsome George, who may have secrets of his own.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:18 -0400)

The vicar of a nearby village persuades Agatha Raisin to help publicize a church fete. Agatha brings out the crowds for the fete, but there's more going on than innocent village fun. Several of the offerings in the jam-tasting booth turn out to be poisoned, and the festive family event becomes the scene of two murders. Along with her young and (much to her dismay) pretty sidekick, Toni, Agatha must uncover the truth behind the jam tampering, keep the church funds safe from theft, and expose the nasty secrets lurking in the village--all while falling for handsome George Selby, who may have secrets of his own.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,381,385 books! | Top bar: Always visible