The Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha…

The Murder at the Vicarage (1930)

by Agatha Christie

Series: Miss Marple (1), Miss Marple: Chronological (6)

4,1981241,715 (3.81)250

English (115)  Dutch (3)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (124)
Every year, I try to read a few Agatha Christie books to slowly chip away at my lifelong goal of reading all 70 of her works. I love her standalone titles, and I love Hercule Poirot. But for some reason, I have avoided Miss Marple stories like the plague. I suppose something about a little old lady solving mysteries hasn’t appealed to me—and I have no idea why.

Anyway, I finally decided to give Miss Marple her due, and boy, was I disappointed. Not in the book, but with myself. WHY HAVE I WAITED SO LONG TO READ MISS MARPLE?! The world may never know.

The Murder at the Vicarage is perhaps one of my all-time favorite Christie novels. It’s funny, twisty, and I never saw the ending coming. I also highly recommend this title on audiobook!

Read more Agatha Christie reviews on my blog at bigdipperbooks.com ( )
  melissa_faith | Mar 16, 2019 |
a skillful double cross of the reader
  ritaer | Jan 24, 2019 |
Fabulous, twisty and complex. Just as it should be. ( )
  CharlotteBurt | Nov 24, 2018 |
A baffling murder in St. Mary Mead has the police and the townsfolk flummoxed. Except for one elderly spinster…

Throughout the 1920s, Agatha Christie wrote countless short stories for a number of periodicals, featuring many characters – Hercule Poirot, Tommy and Tuppence Beresford, Harley Quin, and so on. All of these eventually found book form, and the luckier characters therein would go on to headline novels of their own. Jane Marple was one such, having headlined several short stories before making her publication debut in this novel.

"The Murder at the Vicarage" skillfully “introduces” Marple, seen as one of just many characters through the eyes of the book’s narrator, who gradually comes to the fore as the only person with the keen eyes and pricked-up ears to solve this perplexing murder. The murder plot itself relies on so many trivial occurrences that you have to suspend your disbelief more than usual, true. However, Christie utilises her setting well in this regard. The central idea of the novel is that these trivial occurrences are like clockwork in a small village, and knowing where someone will be, or how they will react to a particular situation, is a crucial element.It’s exactly the kind of keen psychological insight that exists in this gossipy society. (If I wasn’t able to ad lib these kinds of psychological reasonings for Christie denouements, I’d go mad!)

"The Murder at the Vicarage" is not really a classic. (I just had to type the name three times, as I kept confusing it with other Marple works). It’s a well-built house of cards, but it also feels like a house of cards. Thankfully, it showcases a tight-knight cast of characters, a wonderful portrayal of St. Mary Mead (which isn’t quite the loving hamlet it seems), and is, in every way, a seminal work. Interestingly, Christie wouldn’t bring Marple back for 11 years, spending the ’30s – her most prolific decade – primarily with Hercule Poirot.

Marple ranking: 4th of 14. ( )
  therebelprince | Oct 30, 2018 |
I read several Christie books before, but this was my introduction to Miss Marple. I liked the provincial feel and the interest in the human nature of the chatacters - even if purely in relation to the solving of the murder. Agatha was throwing around clues and red herrings everywhere, casting suspicion on everyone and also clearing everyone. "Peculiar Things" happen one after another, strange coincidences. The solution is, as usual, one we do not expect all. However, I can't shake the nagging feeling that I can poke holes in it. Not how it happened - Miss Marple puts that together very well - but that it could have been planned that way. I feel there was one circumstance that could not have possibly been predicted.

You think I am a bit anal about this, but, you see, my enjoyment of Christie comes from the fascination with her air tight logic - and when I feel she overlooked something, I am disappointed.

Huge, huge spoiler below, do not open if you want to read the book!
It was very neat and tidy for Colonel Protheroe to sit at the desk, writing a letter. But they could not have known he was going to do that. What if he was sitting facing the window? He would have noticed the shooter, he would have been shot from the front, making the writing of letter scenario impossible. There would not have been time to shoot him, drag him to the table and make him sit up. Also, if he was shot in view of the window, Anne could not have claimed she did not see him. The incriminating letter was already written and ready. Or was it? They could have written it in the shed, capitalizing on the circumstance. But Miss Marple did not mention that.
The plan hinged on Miss Marple watching and seeing Anne was only long enough to see in but not long enough to commit murder. But that is only possible if Colonel Protheroe is sitting at the desk. And they could not have known that in advance.
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |

Taddei, GiuseppinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thole, KarelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vermeys, John M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Agatha Christie's Detectives: Five Complete Novels (The Murder At The Vicarage, Dead Man's Folly, Sad Cypress, Towards Zero, N or M?) by Agatha Christie

Neiti Marplen murhat by Agatha Christie

Miss Marple Omnibus (Volume 3) by Agatha Christie

Murder in Our Midst: The Body in the Library, The Moving Finger, The Murder At the Vicarage by Agatha Christie

Miss Marple's Last Case: Sleeping Murder; Miss Marple's First Case: Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie

Agatha Christie Crime Collection: The Listerdale Mystery / The Murder at the Vicarage / The Mystery of the Blue Train by Agatha Christie

By the Pricking of My Thumbs [and] The Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie

Mord i prestegården ; Tretten til bords ; Den mystiske plumpuddig by Agatha Christie

The Murder at the Vicarage [and] The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie

Murders to Die For by Agatha Christie

Murder at the Vicarage / Five Little Pigs / By the Pricking of My Thumbs by Agatha Christie

The Murder at the Vicarage / The Mystery of the Blue Train / Parker Pyne Investigates by Agatha Christie

Cat Among the Pigeons [and] Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie

Miss Marple Novels: The Murder at the Vicarage / The Body in the Library / A Pocket Full of Rye / Sleeping Murder by Agatha Christie

Destination Unknown [and] The Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie

Murder at the Vicarage [and] The Man in the Brown Suit by Agatha Christie

Murder at the Vicarage [and] They Do It With Mirrors by Agatha Christie

The Murder at the Vicarage [and] 4.50 From Paddington by Agatha Christie

La morte nel villaggio / 7 racconti / Addio Miss Marple by Agatha Christie

The Murder at the Vicarage [and] A Caribbean Mystery by Agatha Christie

Murder at the Vicarage [and] Hercule Poirot's Christmas by Agatha Christie

A Miss Marple Quintet: Murder At The Vicarage; A Murder Is Announced; A Pocket Full Of Rye; The Mirror Cracked From Side To Side; At Bertram's Hotel by Agatha Christie

The Second Crime Club Omnibus: The Murder at the Vicarage / The Wedding Chest Mystery / Murder at the Pageant / Tragedy on the Line by Agatha Christie

The Complete Miss Marple Collection (Miss Marple Mysteries) by Agatha Christie

The Folio Society Miss Marple Novels by Agatha Christie

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

To Rosalind
It is difficult to know quite where to begin this story, but I have fixed my choice on a certain Wednesday at luncheon at the Vicarage.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451201159, Mass Market Paperback)

Miss Jane Marple's passion for gossip leads to the investigation of a local man's murder. The victim was not liked in the least, and his death isn't raising eyebrows. But his recently revealed secrets are.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:00 -0400)

Colonel Protheroe, local magistrate and overbearing landowner, is the most detested man in the little English village of St. Mary Mead. Everyone, even the vicar, wishes he was dead. And very soon he is--shot in the head in the vicar's study. A visiting artist confesses to the murder, but residents saw him elsewhere when the Colonel was shot. If he didn't do it, than who did? Is he protecting the Colonel's wife whom he loves? Faced with a surfeit of suspects, only the inscrutable Miss Marple can unravel the tangled web of clues.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,445,172 books! | Top bar: Always visible