The Murder at the Vicarage (Agatha Christie…

The Murder at the Vicarage (Agatha Christie Mysteries Collection) (original 1930; edition 1984)

by Agatha Christie

Member:FelixTheRabbit
Title:The Murder at the Vicarage (Agatha Christie Mysteries Collection)
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Berkley (1984), Mass Market Paperback, 230 pages

The Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie (1930)

English (111)  Dutch (3)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (120)
The first Miss Marple. I love her depiction of a deeply organized predictable society throuwn into disarray. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
This was the first Agatha Christie book I've read and loved it. I look forward to read more of her books. ( )
  cubsfan3410 | Sep 1, 2018 |
Years ago, I read and enjoyed "And Then There Were None," and just this year I finally read "Murder on the Orient Express". But for some reason, I have never read another Christie novel until now. It was sheer coincidence that I picked up the very first Miss Marple mystery.

Colonel Protheroe is not well liked by anyone. Many have a motive for killing him including a dashing young painter who may or may not be involved with his daughter, his young wife who is not much older than that daughter, or any of the men he has harshly punished through his role as magistrate. Even the Vicar himself was overheard to say the world would be better without the old man! Inspector Slack is dogged, but totally inadequate for solving the crime. But, Miss Marple is nosy and well versed in human nature. Her acute observations, offered intermittently throughout the story, will get to the truth.

Though she surely inspired the hit series, "Murder She Wrote," Miss Marple is actually less hands on than Jessica Fletcher. I was surprised to find that the mystery is actually told from the point of view of the Vicar. Miss Marple only appears occasionally, almost like a sage, to point our investigators in the right direction. The resolution was clever, if not ground-breaking like "Murder on the Orient Express." But, unlike that novel, readers get to know these characters much better and so the ending feels better earned. I enjoyed the mystery and look forward to reading more by Christie. ( )
  jshillingford | Aug 27, 2018 |
My first Agatha Christie novel! This omission pointed out by my retired teacher buddy, Sharon! ( )
  CSKteach | Jul 20, 2018 |
Interesting to read Christie's introduction of Miss Marple. I think she had no idea what would come with this character and just used her as a device to help solve a complicated mystery. I enjoyed the who-done-it, and was duly surprised at the end, having swallowed a few red herrings.

I did not read much Christie when I was younger. Can't think why--she was popular, I liked intrigue. I'm not feeling that "oh my I need to read all of these" feeling, but a Christie thrown in here and there would not be a bad thing. ( )
  phantomswife | Jul 6, 2018 |

Taddei, GiuseppinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thole, KarelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vermeys, John M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Agatha Christie's Detectives: Five Complete Novels (The Murder At The Vicarage, Dead Man's Folly, Sad Cypress, Towards Zero, N or M?) by Agatha Christie

Neiti Marplen murhat by Agatha Christie

Miss Marple Omnibus (Volume 3) by Agatha Christie

Murder in Our Midst: The Body in the Library, The Moving Finger, The Murder At the Vicarage by Agatha Christie

Miss Marple's Last Case: Sleeping Murder; Miss Marple's First Case: Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie

Agatha Christie Crime Collection: The Listerdale Mystery / The Murder at the Vicarage / The Mystery of the Blue Train by Agatha Christie

By the Pricking of My Thumbs [and] The Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie

Mord i prestegården ; Tretten til bords ; Den mystiske plumpuddig by Agatha Christie

The Murder at the Vicarage [and] The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie

Murders to Die For by Agatha Christie

Murder at the Vicarage / Five Little Pigs / By the Pricking of My Thumbs by Agatha Christie

The Murder at the Vicarage / The Mystery of the Blue Train / Parker Pyne Investigates by Agatha Christie

Cat Among the Pigeons [and] Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie

Miss Marple Novels: The Murder at the Vicarage / The Body in the Library / A Pocket Full of Rye / Sleeping Murder by Agatha Christie

Destination Unknown [and] The Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie

Murder at the Vicarage [and] The Man in the Brown Suit by Agatha Christie

Murder at the Vicarage [and] They Do It With Mirrors by Agatha Christie

The Murder at the Vicarage [and] 4.50 From Paddington by Agatha Christie

La morte nel villaggio / 7 racconti / Addio Miss Marple by Agatha Christie

The Murder at the Vicarage [and] A Caribbean Mystery by Agatha Christie

Murder at the Vicarage [and] Hercule Poirot's Christmas by Agatha Christie

A Miss Marple Quintet: Murder At The Vicarage; A Murder Is Announced; A Pocket Full Of Rye; The Mirror Cracked From Side To Side; At Bertram's Hotel by Agatha Christie

The Second Crime Club Omnibus: The Murder at the Vicarage / The Wedding Chest Mystery / Murder at the Pageant / Tragedy on the Line by Agatha Christie

The Complete Miss Marple Collection (Miss Marple Mysteries) by Agatha Christie

The Folio Society Miss Marple Novels by Agatha Christie

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

To Rosalind
It is difficult to know quite where to begin this story, but I have fixed my choice on a certain Wednesday at luncheon at the Vicarage.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451201159, Mass Market Paperback)

Miss Jane Marple's passion for gossip leads to the investigation of a local man's murder. The victim was not liked in the least, and his death isn't raising eyebrows. But his recently revealed secrets are.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:00 -0400)

Colonel Protheroe, local magistrate and overbearing landowner, is the most detested man in the little English village of St. Mary Mead. Everyone, even the vicar, wishes he was dead. And very soon he is--shot in the head in the vicar's study. A visiting artist confesses to the murder, but residents saw him elsewhere when the Colonel was shot. If he didn't do it, than who did? Is he protecting the Colonel's wife whom he loves? Faced with a surfeit of suspects, only the inscrutable Miss Marple can unravel the tangled web of clues.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,836,441 books! | Top bar: Always visible